Forum › More than a Girlfriend, Less than a Boyfriend discussion

joined Nov 11, 2010

Chalk up a win for the random chapter feature. This one was quite fun--lewd, heartwarming, and sweet, all in one. Too bad this seems to have been a one-off author, she doesn't even seem to have a mangaupdates page. I would have been interested in reading more.

The title is somewhat awkward though, I don't know how anything in particular could be "less" than a boyfriend, lol. The heteronormative connotations...not something I particularly care to see in a yuri manga.

last edited at Apr 5, 2013 10:17PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I always liked this one. Even though it is mostly PWP sex, there are some unusual and pleasant relationship dynamics at work, with both girls supporting and protecting each other. I love that.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

Too bad this seems to have been a one-off author, she doesn't even seem to have a mangaupdates page. I would have been interested in reading more.

under the title it talks about a tankoubon, i don't know if it's all of yuri stories

last edited at Apr 14, 2013 7:48AM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

My opinion is pretty much inline with Cryssoberyl. Would like to read more stories with that dynamic.

The title is somewhat awkward though, I don't know how anything in particular could be "less" than a boyfriend, lol. The heteronormative connotations...not something I particularly care to see in a yuri manga.

To me it just sounds like the title was too literally translated.

last edited at Apr 13, 2013 10:37PM

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

My opinion is pretty much inline with Cryssoberyl. Would like to read more stories with that dynamic.

I figured that it was just an odd translation as well. If there was a heteronormative connotation it would be something like "more than a friend (that is a girl), less than a boyfriend".

joined Feb 1, 2013

Never read it, being put off by the title. But I'll maybe give it a try, if you say that it isn't an indication of what's inside.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Those 2 last pages :D

Loved this.

Kyosaya_Bubbiline
joined Jun 21, 2015

I like the story, but I do not care for how they use the term boyfriend. It is trying to normalize a homosexual romance into heteronormative standings which makes absolutely no sense. The whole point of a lesbian relationship is that there is no boyfriend.

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

I figured that it was just an odd translation as well. If there was a heteronormative connotation it would be something like "more than a friend (that is a girl), less than a boyfriend".

Wild mass Guessing:

A common belief amongst very traditional Japanese people is that women are inherently less valuable then men, so the title may connote value, someone so important their more important than a regular girl but still not a boy.

Another possibility is that it means "girlfriend" in the platonic sense, like how some women/girls say they "have their girlfriends over" when what they generally mean is that they have their friends over and not that they're in a polygamous lesbian relationship, in which case we come around to the heteronormative accusation once again.

Or it could be a translation error. Or just a really bad choice of words on the authors part. We really can't say for sure unless we got the author to comment on it.

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

Wah.... such a great story, especially the last two pages. The last page was the best though. Both the peanut gallery's comments and Ichikawa's flip back to meekness after the bout of minor badassery.

joined Apr 24, 2015

10 year anniversary

joined May 11, 2018

So cute

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Always glad to re-read this one, even if the PWP stuff isn't my style. Thanks for the suggestions, robblu.

To reply you must either login or sign up.