Forum › Strawberry Shake discussion

Strawberry2
joined Feb 5, 2013

I haven't seen a strawberry shake sweet discussion yet, so here it is. This is a really great manga, and the ending wasn't horrible. :) I especially love Saeki's witty comments. Plot was amazing with great humor! It's my favorite, though only second to Girlfriends. I could literally read this over and over again without getting tired!

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Oh man, yes yes yes! Strawberry Shake Sweet is almost certainly my favorite yuri manga ever. Really great expressive and cute artwork, hilarious and heartwarming writing, a really satisfying ending??? And it's the perfect length, long enough to provide enough laughs and plot and development, but not long enough to be drawn out too much.

I have to salute Lililcious for creating a perfect work of scanlation. Thanks for showing me my favorite yuri manga of all. Hayashiya Shizuru is a great artist/writer, and I love her newer manga Hayate X Blade as well, even if it's only mild on the yuri. Shame it was dropped by the official translation company....

joined Apr 7, 2013

I thought the series was wonderful. It took a little to get used to the 4-koma style used at places, but it was still great. :-)

O.o When the last chapter started, I was like @.@ WHAT? In the last chapter? :P But even though they rushed it a little, they got everything back on track for the end.

joined Nov 30, 2011

This also has one of my favorite moments as well:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/strawberry_shake_sweet_ch17#32

Images%20(10)
joined Apr 30, 2013

AWEEESOMEEE!!!!! I LOVE THIS .. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 SO MANY KISSESS ...

satyrandsiren
joined Jun 5, 2013

I've read this manga multiple times and it never ceases to make me laugh. I think it's my first yuri series.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

This was my first yuri series. And still one of my top favorites.

E8xkjfiweawhwl5
joined Sep 23, 2013

Yes, is a great yuri series. was one of the first yuri manga I ever read.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Oh wow never noticed this series was here, this is such a classic! :D

Katomixharu%20-%20cross%20heart
joined Jul 3, 2013

Wow, I've been re reading manga I read a couple years ago when I started reading Yuri and I just read this. I liked it when I first read it, but it was a horrible translation. This one was awesome. So glad I revisited it! One of the best :) I'm still amazed by how stupid they both are, lol

candy76041820
%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

Eat Saeki and get a change of flavor?

Download
joined Apr 23, 2013

This series was my induction into the yuri genre, and it was so exciting since the characters were just as animated and funny and cute as those in the romcom anime I had seen up until then. Its such a great, light-hearted manga (especially for those seeking something lighter than some of the other yuri series out there). Every time something by the author comes out I get nostalgic.

joined Jun 19, 2014

I haven't seen a strawberry shake sweet discussion yet, so here it is. This is a really great manga, and the ending wasn't horrible. :) I especially love Saeki's witty comments. Plot was amazing with great humor! It's my favorite, though only second to Girlfriends. I could literally read this over and over again without getting tired!

Dude/Girl !! that's just like me !! Girlfriends is #1 and this is #2 !!

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

I didn't enjoy Zlay that much. I felt like the author loved them more than me lol.

last edited at Jan 10, 2015 2:56PM

FlameHazeKatsu
Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

this is a really good read, too bad there's no (eng translated) manga for it so I could buy it... it'd be a good one to add in mah collection >_<

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Cute and funny, but nothing to write home about in my opinion. Almost every female character is coincidentally a lesbian with some unrequited love and the addition of the "zlay" group is out of place and works like some deus ex machina. For me, it can't hold a candle to Sasameki Koto or Girlfriends.

Julia is basically acting just like some random male protagonist, nosebleeds and all. She doesn't get any depth along the way, like Sumika.

last edited at Mar 29, 2015 3:29PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Strawberry Shake Sweet - Funny anime shot WITH VOICES!!
https://youtu.be/z9KASo-Qy3Y

joined Nov 30, 2011

@ Nya-Chan

Cute and funny, but nothing to write home about in my opinion. Almost every female character is coincidentally a lesbian with some unrequited love and the addition of the "zlay" group is out of place and works like some deus ex machina. For me, it can't hold a candle to Sasameki Koto or Girlfriends.

Julia is basically acting just like some random male protagonist, nosebleeds and all. She doesn't get any depth along the way, like Sumika.

Are you REALLY trying to compare this to Girl Friends and Sasameki Koto?? O_o... This series was never meant to be taken seriously, it's just a romantic comedy that has fun with its story.

@ Koneko

HAHA now I want to reread the series! Loved the manager. She was awesome.

last edited at Mar 29, 2015 4:28PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Are you REALLY trying to compare this to Girl Friends and Sasameki Koto?? O_o... This series was never meant to be taken seriously, it's just a romantic comedy that has fun with its story.

Don't get me wrong, it's the contrary actually. I see people here ranking it very high ("most favorite after Girfriends"), but I just can't see how they would compare. They are wildly different and I didn't find it that good, personally.

But to each her own, of course.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 5:52AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, this is why there are custom lists here, I guess. So you can be more specific about your likings and not rank your favorites when they are not in the same genre at all. It's just that I thoroughly enjoyed Girl Friends (despite some shortcomings), and when I read in the comments here that people rank this one almost on par, I thought I would give it a shot. But then, I was underwhelmed I guess ? But some people said it was their "first yuri ever", so it adds weight to it for them.

Sasameki Koto pulled me in this part of the Internet. and I fell in like with it. Maybe I'm the type to overanalyze things (not maybe actually, more, like, obviously), but when I love something, I introspect a lot to know why that is, because then it may allow me to repeat the experience with something new. So I go by theme, genre, style, etc...

You like "F for Fake" and "Spione", but if you don't think about why you like them and why you think a little higher of one over the other, then maybe you're missing on some other films you would love as much or more. Just my opinion of course.

joined Jul 21, 2011

While i like Girlfriends and Sasameki Koto, I lije Strawberry Shake Sweet more because i like Hayashiya Shizuru's sense of humor. Also I really like how Julia handles problems that could have been much worse if she was like the main characters in other yuris. And despite androgyny being normal in the lgbt community, most yuris lack that. I like how Ran is portrayed as very attractive.

Yuris tend to either pander to a male demographic or be overly melodramatic. Either crack animes like yuru yuri, or drag out with drama like Girlfriends. (Actually Octave comes to mind here). I think it's because people are always trying to show the hardships of coming out. If they don't do that then the mangas get criticized that "they could have been straight/a guy and nothing would change". But i don't want to see the same kind of thing over and over. SSS was something fun for once and i could tell Shizuru really enjoys this, and I can tell it's a manga by a lesbian for lesbians.

Sasameki Koto could have been much better if it didn't start to drag on halfway through. It's like it was trying to find ways to keep going. It was my favorite at first.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I get the impression that a lot of people like SSS mostly because it was something of a breath of fresh air at the time it came out or at the time they first read it. I don't think it's bad, but I've never really understood the fuss. It's silly and kind of fun, but the characters are cardboard, the jokes are over-repeated, and such plot as there is, is contrived.
If I'm gonna read a lighthearted comic yuri, I'd rather, I dunno, Wife and Wife or something. Or any of Morishima Akiko's funnier stuff. Maybe even Candy Boy, which has similar levels of silly but has the extra frisson of twincest and some more heartfelt moments.

And if we're talking yuri overall it just isn't in my top-X rankings. It's decent, but for me just decent; if it weren't basically the first relatively long lighthearted yuri comedy I don't think many would remember it.

last edited at Jul 1, 2015 2:45PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

The reason I like this so much is partially because it's like one of the very first yuri manga I'd ever read, so it left a very nice impression. The characters are pretty flat, true, but I liked them. It's just an easy, quick read for me, but a nice one, I guess.

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

NB with the tank reissue this is now just Strawberry Shake again.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

NB with the tank reissue this is now just Strawberry Shake again.

Wait, you're requesting this be tagged ongoing? Is it back???

To reply you must either login or sign up.