Forum › Still Sick discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

I just read this. Nice!
But I don't get the "Still Sick" title.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I just read this. Nice!
But I don't get the "Still Sick" title.

Maekawa is a posterchild for chronic depression through most of the series. It's not really until the very last chapters that she has managed to learn to mange her mental illness. Shimizu also spends most of the series in denial about her sexual orientation because of anxiety and personal trauma. They help each other learn to be healthier versions of themselves at the end, but until then, they're "still sick".

That's why in the new continuation, the title is changed to "Still Life", because they're not sick anymore.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... and I think some sort of webcomic precursor to this was called "manga sick", or at least I seem to remember that being the case but I can't find it :P

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

... and I think some sort of webcomic precursor to this was called "manga sick", or at least I seem to remember that being the case but I can't find it :P

I've not heard of this but if it's true I WANNIT

Wtf%20kitty%20dynasty%20pfp
joined Oct 24, 2023

I binged this in one sitting. Super cute ending, and what a ride! The first two-thirds gets a 10/10 for realism. It was just like being caught in the middle of a real-life lesbian relationship. I wanted to blow my brains out!

joined Feb 17, 2018

Rereading this after going full time as an artist was interesting. The characters are all personifications of the conflicting motivations you have as an artist and the need to balance them to be successful. Mangaka writing about making manga is always a bit funny to me because, as Tudou says,people don't care about the process or how much you suffer for it but a bit of homosexual realism and a romance plot carries you through the whole thing without the series feeling like just navel gazing by the author. I think this is one of the better series that explores the artistic process because it's more grounded about it too, a lot of these manga about manga series are terribly romantic about what we do. Every group of people has some self flattering story about how they're the centre of the world and what they're doing is the highest good, as do artists, so the acknowledgement that making manga isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things was kind of nice.

There's a lot of nice moments in this story, very worth rereading

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Maekawa is a cat

last edited at Jan 10, 2024 9:30PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.