Forum › Citrus discussion

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Yuzu should just go out with Harumin. Mei is just.....ugh.

I dunno. I'd be uber disappointed if Harumin actually harbored romantic feelings for Yuzu.

Plus the Harumin-Matsuri dynamic is something you can get drunk off of. It's kinda like the Sugi-Tamamin from Girl Friends that never got followed through on. A bit different, but very similar.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Yeah the whole Sara thing does bother me a bit. I think her confession is important for Mei to grow as character, I am just nervous about the follow through. I still don't see Mei toying with Sara, Yuzu certainly since I think part of her enjoys teasing her. Unless this is some giant gambit Mei came up with so she can get Yuzu and have Sara fall into the arms of Nina. Since I get the feeling Mei picked up on the fact Nina likes Sara.

Now that you brought it up I am wondering if Mei was using some double talk when talking about accepting the confession. We all assumed she meant Sara, but she could have been referring to Yuzu. I know we don't have much to go on, but there is something happening. We are missing key parts of conversations and everything is rather vague.

Conversely this may sound weird after everything I said, but Mei may just be honest about accepting Sara's confession. What is getting me to that point is the final page. It is subtle but I really think Mei knows what she is saying is hurting Yuzu and that pains her. I could just be making something out of nothing, but in the scene she doesn't have that same apathetic look as usual. On why she may be honestly accepting Sara's confession, I think Mei just wants to stop hurting Yuzu. I think she can see Yuzu's feelings for her are twisting Yuzu up and maybe she figures it is best to end it all.

I think what I am getting at is there is something going on. I understand all the frustration, hell my first reaction at the end of the chapter was yelling "son of a bitch" at my screen. But after that I take a second and tell myself I know they are going end up together. All this drama is just drawing it out, but when they do connect I will be smiling. Although if on the off chance they don't get together I will be impressed and then just cry.

Plus now that you mention I think Harumin-Matsuri sub-plot would be fun after Yuzu and Mei get together. Just have Yuzu stumble on them in throes of passion. Oh the hijinks that would follow.

joined Apr 10, 2014

Yuzu should just go out with Harumin. Mei is just.....ugh.

I dunno. I'd be uber disappointed if Harumin actually harbored romantic feelings for Yuzu.

Plus the Harumin-Matsuri dynamic is something you can get drunk off of. It's kinda like the Sugi-Tamamin from Girl Friends that never got followed through on. A bit different, but very similar.

Regardless, Harumin remains the best girl

This series would instantly become my favorite if there is one whole chapter lengthed omake dedicated to Harumin

joined Jan 5, 2015

Note the difference between Sara and Yuzu: the first didn't had any hesitations when declaring things to Mei.
I'm sure Mei wishes for a 'serious' relationship, not a romance, and is just shy. So when she tried to be serious in the chapter before and got rejected, it hurt more than should.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Whenever a new chapter of Citrus comes out, my reaction is torn between excitement and extreme frusturation. -

People would probably be less dramatic overall if they weren't forced to be so patient, lol. This seems like one of those mangas you might enjoy overall but in the middle of it all you're just going to find it frustrating and it's the ending that makes everything better. Having to stop and wait after each and every chapter like this only serves to be frustrating. (I'm not saying the manga or translations should be rushed by the way.)

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I'm a bit confused at Nina actions. she knows Mei has a thing for Yuzu and yet, she encouraged Sara.
I'm also wondering what was Himeko thinking by telling Nina the itinerary

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Urg....I really liked this one most of the way through, but this latest chapter..I'm gonna have to drop it. I just can't enjoy it anymore.

Nina Crepaldi
Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

This is what happens when people fail in speak/show their real intentions and feelings, things don't move forward.
This is shit, these new girls are boring, c'mon you see the person once and already love her for real?
Yuzu is a coward, she is afraid of her own feelings, Mei want someone that needs her, she must be messed up from her past with people only using her.
This is not going nowhere.

Harumin is the best thing from Citrus

joined Apr 6, 2013

Urg....I really liked this one most of the way through, but this latest chapter..I'm gonna have to drop it. I just can't enjoy it anymore.

Don't give up, you can make it.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

I'm a bit confused at Nina actions. she knows Mei has a thing for Yuzu and yet, she encouraged Sara.
I'm also wondering what was Himeko thinking by telling Nina the itinerary

I get the feeling that she knows it probably won't work out. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. And Himeko probably thought nothing of it.

joined Dec 12, 2013

GOD DAMN IT MEI

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Maybe try again after it has been concluded? Depending on how it ends then maybe it'll be more tolerable for you then.

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

Eh, I mean they are sisters, so it would be pretty odd for her to straight up tell her sister to give up right?

damn it, so damn embarrassed that I couldn't buy volume 1 in the store >_<" cuz of the cover... just so shy :v sigh online instead......

Right?! Oh my god I was so embarrassed to go up to the register with Citrus, so I bought a different manga and just ordered Citrus on Amazon. xD

I'm with all you guys who are rooting for Harumin. Easily best girl. I wish we got more of her and Matsuri. And Himeko. Hell, all the other girls need some more screen time.

I'm happy Yuzu took a chance to confess, but I think she did it as such an inconvenient time (she was still getting the cold shoulder) that Mei just couldn't take it to heart like Yuzu expected. I think Mei is processing it like this: Yuzu rejects me > we don't talk for 2 (?) months > she says she loves me?! SHUT DOWN. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

last edited at Mar 1, 2015 5:31PM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

I'm happy Yuzu took a chance to confess, but I think she did it as such an inconvenient time (she was still getting the cold shoulder) that Mei just couldn't take it to heart like Yuzu expected. I think Mei is processing it like this: Yuzu rejects me > we don't talk for 2 (?) months > she says she loves me?! SHUT DOWN. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

It was also probably Mei's fault for that 2 month long bout of silence between the two of them as well. Not just Yuzu's. If anything, I'm thinking they did talk but none of their conversations were about what happened that night.

2_copy
joined Jan 27, 2015

Nina seems to be a bit of a villain here. Yes, she loves her sister, but like she said, no matter what it takes, she is going to fulfill her sister's destiny. So, I doubt she really cares about the relationship between Mei and Yuzu, she is going to take advantage of their troubles so she can get Sara and Mei together. Sara however, seems to be a good person and I think if she found out what Nina was up to, she would be pretty upset.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Frankly I see Nina more as feeling that while she can't be with her sister, she will try everything to make her happy.

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

One of the thing that does confuse me in this manga is the absolute lack of communication. They seem to keep doing things and then never actually having a frank conversation with each other about what they want, and it makes a lot of the drama feel a bit arbitrary and unnecessary.

I get why it's hard to do that, but no wonder you're both being annoying if neither of you are willing to sit it out and talk, or even make an attempt to make sure you're on the right page instead of just constant inconvenient misunderstandings.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

^ just that. During all the time they spent together (and all the night they spent in the same bed), they never talked and all we've got was Mei making only incomprehensible sexual move (that she says meaningless) and Yuzu (understandably) being confused and misunderstanding everything. Or sometimes they talk (mainly yuzu encouraging and consoling Mei), it seems like they could progress a bit... but there are no progress afterward
There are just no development, they aren't getting anywhere since the beginning.

Adding to that the convenient cheap drama brought in by empty characters who can say they love and need someone just after meeting them...

I've seen someone saying that Citrus was like Girlfriends but in my opinion it's not true. In Girlfriends we never had cheap convenient characters brought in like that only for the sake of the drama. Yes there was the boyfriend that came all of a sudden but his reasons were understandable and probable, he wasn't a total stranger that came like : Oh you in the middle of the crowd, I don't know you, you are expressionless ans you do not talk to me at all but I love you =D. And there was some development and communication between the characters they weren't at a total standstill

last edited at Mar 1, 2015 8:52PM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Okay, I'm extremely disappointed in this chapter. My initial reaction to this was WTF OMG WHY?? Then I gave myself a few minutes to think about it. In some messed up way Mei needs more validation from Yuzu. This would be the way to do it. She asked the other girl "do you need me?" and without a thought the other girl replied. Yuzu shows her feelings but even they are kind of hot and cold. This other girl without restraint confessed to Mei. Mei probably doesn't really have true feelings for this girl, she's using her to show Yuzu that someone else was able to truly show her how she feels. Maybe this will give Yuzu enough push to force her to say "Mei I love you, not only as a sister but a lover. I need you by my side." I think that's what Mei wants to hear. I think her screwed up way she is playing games again to force Yuzu to express herself without restraint. That's just my opinion though. Which, I don't know that will happen. Yuzu is a hesitant character that slowly processes stuff, I think we don't give her enough credit it. I actually think both her and Mei are really complex characters. At the same time, i'm fully aware of how immature both of them are. They are teens, I have this feeling that Yuzu will be crushed and decided to possibly make Mei Jealous back.

Yeah the slow pace is killer, but I remind myself this story is depicting teen love/first love...so many conflicts that are actually minor, the time/trial & error it takes untill you learn to express and understand eachother...I think its really well written, and some of these scenes, and situations are written to be ambiguous...which is frustrating but good because we can have diff interpretations of what may happen or what is behind actions of characters etc...
Ill keep hoping that Mei is still in a land of confusion when it comes to Yuzu and that eventually they'll be together ^_^

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

One of the thing that does confuse me in this manga is the absolute lack of communication.

Unfortunately a lack of communication is far too common irl too.

I've seen someone saying that Citrus was like Girlfriends but in my opinion it's not true. In Girlfriends we never had cheap convenient characters brought in like that only for the sake of the drama. Yes there was the boyfriend that came all of a sudden but his reasons were understandable and probable, he wasn't a total stranger that came like : Oh you in the middle of the crowd, I don't know you, you are expressionless ans you do not talk to me at all but I love you =D. And there was some development and communication between the characters they weren't at a total standstill

It was also made immediately clear what Mari was thinking when she did that as well.

Untitlsed
joined Jul 20, 2013

yeaaah .. im going to stop reading this for now, this part is annoying and felt recycle again with "new nemesis" thing and i have to fulfil my onee wish .. no... i dont want to seee more chara, i dont want to know them, i just want to see how mei and yuzu grow in the relationship as a person i want to know those 2 more not this ... "extras"

Picsart_1429787879161
joined Dec 6, 2014

Oh my Glob!!! I've waited for months and this is what I get? Gaah so frustrating and I have to wait for another 2 months or so for the next update? Oh my...man, poor Yuzu. Poor Nina too. Well I really hope Mei didn't accept the confession but I can't think of a reason why she would lie about it.. Aaaaahh!!! 2 months is too long TT_TT

No i think raw for next chapter will be release this month since its a monthly update.... if i'm not mistaken. So we will see what will happen next soon but i guess we will wait for the next translation for it. why poor Nina? I think her sister Sara will be the one that will be hurt the most if Mei really go out with her.

Oh thank you for the info. And well yeah Sara will be hurt too but I really felt Nina's hurt in this chapter you know? She wants her sister for herself but instead helps Sara to be with Mei because that's what makes Sara happy and what makes Sara happy is what's important for Nina. All in all this is Mei's fault! Haha she's being so difficult. It's somehow understandable since she's closed her heart for like eternity before Yuzu came along but man isn't this dragging on so long? Or I'm just too impatient haha this obstacles are frustrating me >_<

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

It was also probably Mei's fault for that 2 month long bout of silence between the two of them as well. Not just Yuzu's. If anything, I'm thinking they did talk but none of their conversations were about what happened that night.

The one thing that we gotta remember as well is that Yuzu did not 'reject' Mei. If anything it was by her love that she refused to accept Mei's sexual advances, because Yuzu doesn't want Mei's body, she want Mei. She can't just accept Mei for her body because she knows she's worth more than that, and in the heat of the moment just had to stop herself from getting carried away.

Girl Friends was a million dollar plot with a ten cent finish. But certainly the drama was incredibly well-done and the characters were fantastic; that's a similarity with Citrus. The thing that needs to be noted is that there is such thing as falling in love at first sight, its just very shallow; but after spending time with the other person you may fall deeper in love with the other...so for now I think we should reserve judgment of Sara.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Girl Friends was a million dollar plot with a ten cent finish. But certainly the drama was incredibly well-done and the characters were fantastic; that's a similarity with Citrus. The thing that needs to be noted is that there is such thing as falling in love at first sight, its just very shallow; but after spending time with the other person you may fall deeper in love with the other...so for now I think we should reserve judgment of Sara.

Love at first sight is like just taking a liking to the look and how the person seems to be. Yeah you can say you like that person, personally I wouldn't say that but I don't mind. Here it's more than that, she's saying she loves her and that she needs her (it's not even a desire, it's a need. To me it means she knows Mei, she can't need a look x)) though she met her one time in the past and it doesn't seems to have been that long of a time with a totally honest face. And Sara doesn't seems to be the overly emotional or the manipulative type of person. She seems to be the honest type, that just doesn't make any sense. that's too intense.

And before someone say back that it happens a lot in yuri, what bother me here is the "needs" part. You don't need someone after a one time encounter... particularly when it's with an emotionless person like Mei. You can take a liking to someone looks but it doesn't goes beyond that and as I have say Sara seems to be the honest and not overly emotional type of person...

last edited at Mar 1, 2015 10:18PM

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

I think I may have been the one of the people that brought up Girlfriends. What I meant by that was the whole getting together part is being dragged out and I just want to see the couple actually be a couple. I love that part of love stories. Girlfriends was a bit more clean, for lack of better word. There none of the characters were dealing with emotional tramua or struggling with ideas about family and all the issues that involves. Girlfriends at least for me was the story of two people trying to define love for each other without any prior knowledge of the subject. In a sense Citrus is similar but it deals more with trying to understand love when you are faced with some preconceived notions of it that doesn't apply. Either Yuzu's notions of familial and heteronormative love or Mei's toxic and abusive experiences.

As for Sara, this is just a guess but by some dialogue between her and Yuzu it seems Mei and Nina are somewhat similar. So this could all be a set-up for Sara and Nina to finally face their feelings for each other. Which would be after whatever is going either works out like someone planned or blows up like a million star going novae.

To reply you must either login or sign up.