Forum › H.P. Lovecraft's The Shadow Out Of Time discussion

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Really loving these remakes of HP Lovecraft's series, interesting to see how others interpret it, the art is incredible. Also, loving the shout out to my home state of WA.......
Stands on hill "I can see my house from here"

Untitled-1
joined Feb 6, 2017

Wooo, it's back!

8ldsxx8gdfh7s211
joined Jan 11, 2019

Really loving these remakes of HP Lovecraft's series, interesting to see how others interpret it, the art is incredible. Also, loving the shout out to my home state of WA.......

Hey, I'm from WA too.

I mean, it's the WA on the opposite side of the planet, but still...

joined Sep 6, 2018

Nah! He’s fine, A OK! I mean, how else does one complete their doctoral thesis? You gotta sacrifice some sanity points for it, right?

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015
Uwu
joined Jan 8, 2020

"The Queer Amnesia"

thought about that too lmao

Smallpred
joined Jun 29, 2015

Ah yes, more lovecraft.

See, that's what happens when you focus on your studies so much, five years just pass by!

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

This might be a good power move, actually. Claim that none of the shit you did the past few years was your fault, you were being mind swapped with cone creatures from the ancient past. They're the ones who got you that bad tattoo, made you gain weight and killed all the houseplants.

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 8:24PM

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

Had no idea that there was a lovecraft manga. Sounds interesting but love his prose too much, unlucky that this doesn't really click with me but it's pretty nice to see it exists at least.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Hey, I'm from WA too.

I mean, it's the WA on the opposite side of the planet, but still...

Awww lol I got excited for a moment there! I've always ordered how many Aussies frequent Dynasty

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/h_p_lovecrafts_the_shadow_out_of_time_ch07#6

The inability of Lovecraft to imagine something else than books.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Considering all of his known works were written before the advent of any sort of digital media, and almost all magnetic analog media, it's not surprising. And an indestructible book would be far superior to the media we currently have today. It doesn't require anything except a light source to obtain the information contained within.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

So these creatures act like Timelords, while looking & moving like Daleks?

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not quite, they can only project their minds through time instead of time travelling physically.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Considering the Yith predated mankind and have secretly interacted with us through all of human history, who's to say they didn't invent books, and we got it from them?

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

... That was a lot to take in..... DAT time travel!
And did they mean Pilbara not Pilbarra?.... Shits hitting real close to home (literally)

last edited at Jul 28, 2020 8:52AM

joined Jul 23, 2016

Wait, why is this on dynasty? From what I remember, none of Lovecraft's stuff has yuri? Not that I'm opposed to having this stuff here; I'm all for it! Just curious if I should be expecting some yuri-divergence from the original plot.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Wait, why is this on dynasty? From what I remember, none of Lovecraft's stuff has yuri? Not that I'm opposed to having this stuff here; I'm all for it! Just curious if I should be expecting some yuri-divergence from the original plot.

There are quite a few non-yuri series on the site. I think it's just whatever the administrators are interested in, which happens to be a LOT of yuri. Don't expect this story to contain any, though, because from what I can tell, it's just a straight telling of the story in manga form.

last edited at Jul 29, 2020 9:54AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Bugpope posted:

Considering the Yith predated mankind and have secretly interacted with us through all of human history, who's to say they didn't invent books, and we got it from them?

If the Yith know all of the future, beyond Lovecraft's era, they should know about digital media. So, this is Lovecraft's limitation, not the Yith's.

And the book format is suited for human hands, not to creatures with tentacles and multiple eyes, that may see beyond the light spectrum human can.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Throbelisk posted:

Considering all of his known works were written before the advent of any sort of digital media, and almost all magnetic analog media, it's not surprising. And an indestructible book would be far superior to the media we currently have today. It doesn't require anything except a light source to obtain the information contained within.

The form of written information on a support is hardly something superior. The superior form would be something holding information for all senses (given the Yith could have more than 5).

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

The form of written information on a support is hardly something superior. The superior form would be something holding information for all senses (given the Yith could have more than 5).

I think you're forgetting that most science fiction is improvement on the already-familiar. We don't even have single forms of media that involve all of our senses today, so attempting to disrespect an author from the 1930s based on such a flimsy notion doesn't fly. You also simply have no basis for saying Lovecraft was unable to imagine anything other than books in the first place.

joined Mar 5, 2016

and anyway, what the info is stored on isn't really the point

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Throbelisk posted:

I think you're forgetting that most science fiction is improvement on the already-familiar. We don't even have single forms of media that involve all of our senses today, so attempting to disrespect an author from the 1930s based on such a flimsy notion doesn't fly. You also simply have no basis for saying Lovecraft was unable to imagine anything other than books in the first place.

Where you're wrong is that Lovecraft isn't writing science-fiction. He's writing horror fiction, not speculative fiction.

So, in his writing, there is actually no "improvement on the already-familiar" at all. It's distortion of the already familiar.

I didn't "disrespect" Lovecraft, because he's obviously very skilled in writing stories that give an uneasy feeling, by setting an ambiance, through the use of a specific vocabulary. As long as he writes about long past eons, it's fine. He's obviously very skilled.

But when he wanders into speculation, like time travel, he falls short, because to him, his present time technology is the apex of technology and the alien species are only better in the arts of mind manipulation, or dark magic. So, he willingly, or not, limits himself to what is possible in his own time.

Maybe he was able to imagine things beyond his time but he choose not to write about them?

After all, someone like Jules Verne, who came before him, was the real deal, because he really "improved on the already-familiar".

last edited at Jul 31, 2020 8:26AM

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

There's a ton of stuff on Dynasty that's completely unrelated to yuri.

last edited at Jul 31, 2020 5:26AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.