Forum › Same-Sex Marriage Is Now Legal For A Majority Of The U.S.

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

heres the link http://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/2igzx0/samesex_marriage_is_now_legal_for_a_majority_of/

It makes me so happy that same sex marriage is legal in over half the country. But honestly, its 2014 people, why isnt it legal everywhere yet >.<.

joined Aug 1, 2013

But honestly, its 2014 people, why isnt it legal everywhere yet >.<.

Because Jesus.

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

Because Jesus.

meh...jesus is overrated

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Because Jesus.

Well, not only that but the usual bullshit POV society has on the matter and stubborn old-farts in charge of everything that don't wanna die and hinder the general progress of our path (not just about same-sex marriage) to a (better) future.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 11:45PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ Retarded stubborn people still run run the world, their death will bring us to a new era in confident in that maybe if I drop a reset bomb...

Good for the US at least they don't have to travel very far over here church still has control over the government and will do what they say...the guy is a jackass and he shows up in the news every week with a useless comment. They also passed a law or something very quietly mind you so no same-sex marriage yay! end of rant

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

^ Retarded stubborn people still run run the world, their death will bring us to a new era in confident in that maybe if I drop a reset bomb...

Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I have a friend who got married this year, in England. It's nice to see things change for the better. I was in Hawaii when it was legalized (again, kinda) there, and working on a dinner cruise that did weddings. Within the week we had a lesbian couple have a wedding - they had been together for a long time, if I remember, and she was just like, "well, I kinda felt like it was time, and they just made it legal so why not have a Hawaiian wedding?"

As for why it's not legal everywhere yet... I can't really accept the "Jesus" explanation, although I'm not a believer I have read the gospels and he was much more concerned with worldly materialism, greed, and what he saw as corruption of the (Jewish) church. It's not Jesus so much as how these people have taken a twisted view on the things in the bible. But that can be said about all fundamentalists.

Japan hasn't legalized either. Most people are not religious there, but they still manage to find excuses to be upset about something that ain't no business of theirs. Of course, the standard bearers are the same people who revere Mishima (who was bisexual, really leaning heavily toward the male-male side). Hypocrisy is a universal language.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, if you're gonna go to the Bible it's all Old Testament since Jesus didn't seem to really care one way or the other. But to the mindset who's going to use that to argue against SSM, if Jesus didn't explicitly deny something in the OT, then he was approving and, if it meets the prejudices of the person interpreting, outright boosting that point of view.

Japan, obviously it's not a Christianity thing but a tradition thing instead.

And let's face it, what all this really comes down to is people saying "men fucking each other is icky". Especially since they really don't talk about lesbians most of the time. Same way transphobes are all "trans people are icky" based entirely on a horrible stereotype of trans women, ignoring trans dudes exist.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

don't get too excited people. there is still enough dry gunpowder left for the more homophobic and conservative elements of the US to blow the US supreme court's decision/non-decision to kingdom come. I'll feel a little more comfortable once the 2 other lower courts of appeal give their rulings. that said, I worry most about the good ol' South fuqqing things up. there is a lower court that handles cases from the Southern states. if that court's decision does not contradict the other lower court decisions that have been passed in favor of same-sex marriage, then it will pretty much be a done deal. of course, someone could always introduces a constitutional amendment just to be an ass.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

don't get too excited people. there is still enough dry gunpowder left for the more homophobic and conservative elements of the US to blow the US supreme court's decision/non-decision to kingdom come. I'll feel a little more comfortable once the 2 other lower courts of appeal give their rulings. that said, I worry most about the good ol' South fuqqing things up. there is a lower court that handles cases from the Southern states. if that court's decision does not contradict the other lower court decisions that have been passed in favor of same-sex marriage, then it will pretty much be a done deal. of course, someone could always introduces a constitutional amendment just to be an ass.

Prehistorically outdated laws and constitution bullshit are not only affecting same-sex marriage, but lots of other things. Gotta love it!

Seems like I am venting some pent up rage here, haha.

last edited at Oct 7, 2014 2:25AM

joined Apr 15, 2011

@flips - :-)

yes my friend, they are and wah, you + pent up rage???? nah, vent away!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

lol I just wish there was an IQ/aptitude test requirement to have ANY kind of power.

joined Apr 15, 2011

lol I just wish there was an IQ/aptitude test requirement to have ANY kind of power.

sounds like a good idea, but there are too many dumb/uninformed politicians and that would leave too much power in the hands of a very few.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

sounds like a good idea, but there are too many dumb/uninformed politicians and that would leave too much power in the hands of a very few.

XD right I didn't think of that not everyone is as selfless as I am...at the same time can someone really smart can be that selfish? almost sounds like an army of evil geniuses, BUT I also mentioned aptitude that should include a psychological test but honestly I live in dreamland I guess the righteous will never be in power. Oh and just a little thought those politician WILL want be in power so they would actually try, they are that greedy.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Well, if you're gonna go to the Bible it's all Old Testament since Jesus didn't seem to really care one way or the other. But to the mindset who's going to use that to argue against SSM, if Jesus didn't explicitly deny something in the OT, then he was approving and, if it meets the prejudices of the person interpreting, outright boosting that point of view.

If I may... The stance of anti-homosexuality is both in the OT and the NT.
Not really arguing anything, it's just that if it wasn't, us gentiles wouldn't really care about so much.

I know you were only thinking of politicians, but it occurred to me... Being a parent is absolutely wielding power, it's time to test folks for parenthood before they conceive. I can already see it "Japan new low birth stats, it's in the negative!"

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Well I'm for touching it though.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If I may... The stance of anti-homosexuality is both in the OT and the NT.
Not really arguing anything, it's just that if it wasn't, us gentiles wouldn't really care about so much.

Well, that was more Paul's thing though, wasn't it? And Paul didn't really seem to like much of anybody really.

joined Jan 30, 2013

Because Jesus.

Urge... to post meme... so strong...

OT, hooray. And in time, the rest of the world. Unless religion wins.That'd suck.

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

On the bright side 15 of these state all got legalized in the past 2 years so its only a matter of time. In fact colorado just got legalized today and another three of them happened yesterday

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

http://xkcd.com/1431/

Quote from mouseover text:
People often say that same-sex marriage now is like interracial marriage in the 60s. But in terms of public opinion, same-sex marriage now is like interracial marriage in the 90s, when it had already been legal nationwide for 30 years.

Hmm.

To reply you must either login or sign up.