Forum › there are many ways to be gay discussion

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

All of a sudden I have this urge to write butch x butch fanfictions. Although chances are they will never be finished because I spent most of the time dithering about instead.

Butch are pretty rare imho, so the chance of a butch x butch is probably even slimmer because math. But hey, I am no math scientist nor do I know enough to create a pie chart out of this.

joined Feb 12, 2020

Butch / Femme dynamics originated in the 50's bar culture as a way of survival - GNC women (gender non-conforming) women couldn't get jobs. I.E. if you had your head buzzed, wore pants or other transgressions etc - so they often found themselves with femme partners (not just romantically) as a necessity of survival.

In turn butches acted as "guardians" - being visible so drawing attention from homophobes, and beating the shit out of them when necessary*. Being Butch or Femme is much more than just how you dress, it's a whole attitude and way of life (at least in the west where it originated).

Also it's not heteronormative. Two women together will never be heteronormative lol.

*see: Storme DeLarverie, who fought police outside Stonewall for 10 minutes while handcuffed, inciting the riot.

Another%20profile%20pic
joined May 15, 2019

#BUTCH4EVER #BUTCH4DAWIN #BUTCH4LIFE

joined Sep 13, 2018

Kinda fucking hilarious that author is complaining about societal gender norms and then is participating in the same thing by only wanting to date a "butch" stereotype, yeah whatever

How lmao? The author is a butch woman wanting a butch woman, that's nowhere near participating in societal gender norms.

Also it's not heteronormative. Two women together will never be heteronormative lol.

*see: Storme DeLarverie, who fought police outside Stonewall for 10 minutes while handcuffed, inciting the riot.

Totally correct. Like, imho, there's complaining about how butch women and loving butch women can feel weird and unappreciated in sapphic circles, and then there's like, 'lol gay women are so heteronormative for butch/femme dynamics" which is just... Silly.

Also good on bringing up Storme DeLarverie, sadly not talked about nearly as much in LGBTQ circles as they ought to be.

last edited at Feb 13, 2020 1:58AM

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

Meirei Hiranishi is the first yuri artist I've seen to really focus on queer aesthetics and how important it is some people's relationships and identity. I think it's much more than a 'butch-femme' spectrum but it's really interesting to see her experiences!
That said, part of me suspects this is all just a elaborate ploy so she can find another butch yuri otaku who reads her manga ;)

Two women together will never be heteronormative lol.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I agree that queer people are generally people who have made their own decisions about gender and sexuality and come up with their own answer which is different to societal norms, but not necessarily totally independant of societal norms. I think lots of outwardly butch/stud/andro/masc/whatever-presenting women get frustrated with partners who expect them to do stereotypically 'male' things, even just tiny things like mowing the lawn and feel their identity is misunderstood.
I'm not saying it's right or okay, but I don't think anyone's worldview can be totally free of the influence of societal norms and expectations (whether they're aware of it or not) and it's a very positive thing to draw attention to stuff like this in storytelling.

last edited at Feb 14, 2020 9:24AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Meirei Hiranishi is the first yuri artist I've seen to really focus on queer aesthetics and how important it is some people's relationships and identity

That might have been part of the fact that is autobiographical and it's her personals experiences

Eetw4a5ueaiu2_t
joined Jun 1, 2017

I respect this artist and her butch4butch struggle. I hope she finds the butch partner she deserves one day!

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

i didn't know tomboy has evolved so much that it's butch now, i thought butch was very far from tomboy.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

sanapomu posted:

I respect this artist and her butch4butch struggle. I hope she finds the butch partner she deserves one day!

Is our duty to spread her works and her name so one day, her destined partner will find her

To reply you must either login or sign up.