Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Every volume tends to have one chapter that focuses on Shiramine and Kurosawa's relationship at the minimum. In fact that is the one ironclad rule in this manga.

Agree with your whole overall reading, but isn’t it also a rule that each arc also includes at least one kiss (as per the title)?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Every volume tends to have one chapter that focuses on Shiramine and Kurosawa's relationship at the minimum. In fact that is the one ironclad rule in this manga.

Agree with your whole overall reading, but isn’t it also a rule that each arc also includes at least one kiss (as per the title)?

That is absolutely correct, but sadly there are no white lillies for her dearest girl until the final chapter.
Though she makes up for it in quantity.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

There are a exceptions to the "ironclad rule" actually. Volume 2 and 6 don't involve Ayaka and Yurine at all (both are centered on Chiharu and Izumi, which is why I once called them "the other main pair"). Ayaka appears in exactly one panel in the entire volume 2, and Yurine has only a coulpe of scenes with Ai.

There's also volume 4, where they're only involved through Kaoru's one-sided infatuation for Yurine (which was a part of Yurine's development in retrospect, admittedly).

So AyaYuri only became an every-volume thing after volume 6.

last edited at Dec 25, 2019 4:37PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

There are a exceptions to the "ironclad rule" actually. Volume 2 and 6 don't involve Ayaka and Yurine at all (both are centered on Chiharu and Izumi, which is why I once called them "the other main pair"). Ayaka appears in exactly one panel in the entire volume 2, and Yurine has only a coulpe of scenes with Ai.

What is chapter 6.5 in your opinion? It may be a bonus chapter, but it is the length of a normal weekly manga chapter. It focuses on Shiramine, Kurosawa and her sister.

So AyaYuri only became an every-volume thing after volume 6.

To be fair, I tend to not re-read Volume 6 a lot, because the poly trio was not my cup of tea. In retrospect that one felt very disconnected from the rest beyond Izumi's involvement.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

What is chapter 6.5 in your opinion? It may be a bonus chapter, but it is the length of a normal weekly manga chapter. It focuses on Shiramine, Kurosawa and her sister.

True, but it was still a bonus chap ultimately. A pity that we didn't see more of Sumire actually. X)

In other news, Goukaku no Tame no! Yasashii Sankaku Kankei Nyuumon starts in Dengeki Daioh on January 27. Yes, that's the actual title.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

True, but it was still a bonus chap ultimately. A pity that we didn't see more of Sumire actually. X)

In other news, Goukaku no Tame no! Yasashii Sankaku Kankei Nyuumon starts in Dengeki Daioh on January 27. Yes, that's the actual title.

It was still always intended to be part of the volume, so imo it counts.

And I see Canno is nothing if not consistent. Long titles keep people interested I guess. "Do it for the money - Easy-to-understand" is what my translator spat out for that name lol

joined Oct 22, 2018

It was still always intended to be part of the volume, so imo it counts.

And I see Canno is nothing if not consistent. Long titles keep people interested I guess. "Do it for the money - Easy-to-understand" is what my translator spat out for that name lol

Nah, just think up of a catchy acronym, and you're ready to go! Even series with much shorter titles than those Canno thinks up of get those.

That being said, we should use this month that's left until the release to think up of and agree upon a nice acronym like that. Just like we did with AnoKiss.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I suppose there'll be an official abreviation anyway, but for now I'd go for "YasaMon".

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

So it's a girl who's just leaving middle school, and then a girl who's presumably a first or second year in high school, and the tutor, who is... hopefully around the same age. Yeah, that sounds cute, and if it's polyamorous I'm gonna die, longterm decent polyamory yuri would absolutely wreck me, I'd be so happy. (If the tutor's a full adult I'm gonna be a lot less interested, let's hope she's not, that's like... too much age gap at that age)

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

My problem is it's either polyamory or love triangle. I don't really like the second and i'm not a fan of the way Canno have handle the first in AnoKiss. I can give it a shot thought.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Any help on a translation of the title? Google Translate might as well be Giggle Translate.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Any help on a translation of the title? Google Translate might as well be Giggle Translate.

Great, now thanks to you, I need to find out what the fuck a hilarious translation Giggle Google Translate came up with

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Great, now thanks to you, I need to find out what the fuck a hilarious translation Giggle Google Translate came up with

It’s not the final result, it’s the word-by-word.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Uhm... I literally already posted the result. What did you think "Do it for the money - Easy-to-understand" was about?
That's what the translator spits out.

last edited at Dec 28, 2019 2:01PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

It’s not the final result, it’s the word-by-word.

Pass...

of...

For...

of...

!...

Friendly...

Triangle...

Relationship...

Getting started...

Damn, can't wait for my 2nd attempt at proposing the introduction of Dynasty Awards, in early August 2024!

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I have "For passing! An easy introduction to triangular relations" if i use the title in the tweet.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

If you take the title directly from the tweet (合格のための!やさしい三角関係入門) it says "For passing! An easy introduction to triangular relations"
So I'm pretty sure the triangle relationship was indeed part of the title's pun.

EDIT: The difference mostly comes from using the characters vs. using the romanized words.

last edited at Dec 28, 2019 2:38PM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Pretty much. "sankaku kankei" is the Japanese expression for "love triangle".

(If the tutor's a full adult I'm gonna be a lot less interested, let's hope she's not, that's like... too much age gap at that age)

Canno refers to the three of them as "joshi" (女子), so she's under 20 at the very least.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Uhm... I literally already posted the result. What did you think "Do it for the money - Easy-to-understand" was about?

I must have skipped your post for some unfathomable reason, BugDevil.

I get:
Pass
Of
For the sake of
For your money!
[The rest won’t translate as a phrase.]
Gentleness
Triangle
Relationship
Getting Started

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I must have skipped your post for some unfathomable reason, BugDevil.

Well... I didn't really reply to you, so that's fine? Lilliwyt and I already got a slightly more coherent version out of the Goggler. Japanese is tricky, but I guess we all know the pun now.

That aside, I said a while ago in this very thread that I found it shocking that AnoKiss didn't have a legit love triangle. The only one that was almost a love triangle turned out to be polyamory. The other two that had potential to be a love triangle never got anywhere because one was one-sided and the other were side characters that never got an actual chance or even attempted to vie for her.

The only Canno shorts I read were about a couple, not about triangles either. So what I'm getting at is that I have absolutely no idea how well she can handle this trope, let alone stretch it over an entire manga. I can scarcely imagine that she will repeat the AnoKiss formula of a dozen pairings again. Not saying it's impossible, but Canno strikes me as the type who likes to change it up every now and then.

So I'll be carefully optimistic that whatever Passing Triangle will be, it might at least be entertaining.

last edited at Dec 28, 2019 3:43PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Canno refers to the three of them as "joshi" (女子), so she's under 20 at the very least.

Well, that's good. I'm hoping both are highschoolers.

Anyway, on another note, I'm super excited if it's polyamory. I think the polyamorous relationship in AnoKiss was pretty great, and every decent love triangle I see I pretty much just think "this should end in polyamory" anyway so like, if it does that's A+.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is specially weird considering that Ayaka and Yurine were super popular in the school not only for their grades but their looks so yeah... No one else attempted to get their attention? that way? or maybe, it was so incredible obvious for everyone else that they were into each others that they didn't even try to break in between hahahaha. Well, I can totally imagine Yurine rejecting other girls or ignoring love letters (or maybe she did and I can't remember).

As for the new manga, if all the characters are nice, I wouldn't mind another polyamory!

last edited at Dec 28, 2019 4:02PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Polyamory requires a lot of proper set-up and serious skill to execute. 99% of the time it turns out very half-assed. Then again, so do triangles, so we are in for some troublesome volumes either way. If we consider AnoKiss a dry test run... well maybe Canno has learned from it. A lot. Hopefully.

One should never categorically dismiss a good author's attempt at new things.

last edited at Dec 28, 2019 4:07PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Idk, I really liked the polyamory in AnoKiss, I don't know what to say. I thought it was sweetly done, that it could have used a bit more space to execute but that what needed to happen happened (which is how I feel about almost all the side pairings) and that the open and honest acknowledgement of polyamory, by both the author and characters, which is something I have not seen before or since, was outstanding. I enjoyed all 3 of the specific characters, and the idea of a character who's already unknowingly friends with someone who sets herself up as a love rival feels so natural for the tropey world of yuri that I felt like it was a trope or I'd seen it before, when I know I haven't. I was very happy overall, and I think giving it more room to shine will only make me happier, if Canno doesn't regress for this one (and if it ends up polyamorous. I'm a lot more tired of love triangles).

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Unless we suddenly learn that Canno is only the artist and that Saburouta writes the story, we should be fine. :þ Plus the promo pics and title seem to indicate that this will be a comedy so that should make the whole triangle thing more bearable.

Still, replacing YagaKimi as Dengeki Daioh's yuri title is a tough task.

last edited at Dec 28, 2019 4:18PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.