Forum › The Sunlit Trap discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Homura E.N.D posted:

Where's the 2nd chapter where the father has to pay child support while the Y's are living a nice life

And the 3rd chapter where Yumi beats the shit out of him

What about the spin off with10 years time skip where the daughter falls in love with the step sister (from the dude's marriage) who goes to the same highschool and she finds out her sister is having problem at home with the drunk bastard of a father and wants to rescue her not knowing they're blood related!

Sounds like a modern-day, magic-less, lesbian version of the story of Turin Turambar (hopefully with a happier ending than THAT story).

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

I'm sure I'm missing something here but does this really warrant the bisexual tag? I mean we know Yoeko is super gay but I saw no indication for whether or not Yumi was interested in her romantically at all.

Am I missing something?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Am I missing something?

That maybe ? https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_sunlit_trap#16

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's interesting, I tried reading the story assuming that she actually did confess, either around the time of the flashback or slightly after, and they're actually in a relationship that they haven't told the daughter about. It works surprisingly well, and doesn't require any changes to the story as such to read it that way.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Saw something similar to this irl numerous times.

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 11:43PM

_______%20(12)
joined Feb 18, 2018

this is why I hate idiot people..

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Ugh, the feels. My first and strongest love was my best friend. I can't even begin to describe what kind of heartbroken agony it was having to love her that much, but keep my mouth shut and silently watch her marry, and eventually have kids. It's a hurt that leaves a nasty scar.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

finally something with a bisexual tag that doesn't make me wanna gag

Ugh, the feels. My first and strongest love was my best friend. I can't even begin to describe what kind of heartbroken agony it was having to love her that much, but keep my mouth shut and silently watch her marry, and eventually have kids. It's a hurt that leaves a nasty scar.

Damn sis I'm sorry. I have a similar story with my best friend. I loved her a lot (not romantically per se) and it hurt a lot to watch her date shitty abusive men. I just wanted to protect her and its hard realizing I probably won't love someone ever again as much as I loved her.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

Am I missing something?

That maybe ? https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_sunlit_trap#16

I see, thanks. I thought those were Yoe's thought bubbles for some reason.

On another note the non-science babies tag is an interesting idea for yuri manga and I'd like to see more stories that explore that.

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

Cute art, nice read mixed with a tiny bit of depression =]

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

Ah, where is cute anв fluffy development of their beautiful mutual love?
Where is chapter 2?))

joined Oct 10, 2016

Damn, so sad. ;-;

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

"Bisexual" tag feels like wishful thinking here, honestly. There's nothing that says to me that Yumi either knows about or returns Yoeko's feelings.

Thanks for your work, Euphowolf.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

"Bisexual" tag feels like wishful thinking here, honestly. There's nothing that says to me that Yumi either knows about or returns Yoeko's feelings.

Thanks for your work, Euphowolf.

You realise last panel is from Yumi right ?

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I reread the story. You're right, and that certainly solves the tag issue - but the whole rest of the story becomes a very different, and darker, piece. Yumi is revealed as a sly manipulator that has been stringing Yoeko along for years, since childhood really, by pretending to be an airhead. Even after having a boyfriend and having a child by him, she is still keeping a grip on Yoeko as her security blanket.

Given the title, I suppose I should've been able to figure it out on my own, but my mind was bent on casting this as another sad "unrequited love" story. So I was definitely wrong - but it also seems to put Yumi firmly within the "depraved bisexual" trope, so I'm not sure how much of a good thing that is.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That what we call useless lesbians but in a whole new level.

Screenshot_2018-03-31_05-38-16
joined Jun 19, 2017

I reread the story. You're right, and that certainly solves the tag issue - but the whole rest of the story becomes a very different, and darker, piece. Yumi is revealed as a sly manipulator that has been stringing Yoeko along for years, since childhood really, by pretending to be an airhead. Even after having a boyfriend and having a child by him, she is still keeping a grip on Yoeko as her security blanket.

Given the title, I suppose I should've been able to figure it out on my own, but my mind was bent on casting this as another sad "unrequited love" story. So I was definitely wrong - but it also seems to put Yumi firmly within the "depraved bisexual" trope, so I'm not sure how much of a good thing that is.

I think that's an uncharitable reading of Yumi to say the least. Mainly, I don't think that Yumi has been leading Yoeko on this whole time because Yumi says "ever since that day" on page 14, implying that she only fell in love with Yoeko when Yoeko stepped up for her when Yumi's parents died and her boyfriend left her. Yumi was pregnant at the time, and her daughter is 3 in the story, so presumably Yumi has only been in love with Yoeko for about 4 years. To speculate a bit, it kind of makes sense that Yumi would not have seen Yoeko in a romantic light until then, since there is such a huge age gap (about 14 or 15 years?) between them, and since they had known each other so long.

It really boils down to at what point the thought blocks stop being in Yoeko's voice and switch over to Yumi. I think the last one in Yoeko's voice is on page 11, where she says she didn't expect Yumi to get pregnant. After that, the thoughts are all Yumi's, except for the last page where it is both of them. Yumi asking if she is being unfair is her thinking that it is wrong for her to rely on Yoeko's previous promise to protect her as a means of preventing Yoeko from leaving her, since Yumi has probably not confessed and seems to see herself in a negative light (and probably as an undesirable romantic partner) based on how she talks about herself.

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

That's it?! I expected a confession but oh well. It still was very great.

To reply you must either login or sign up.