Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Jun 6, 2016

I'm not saying there's something wrong with that, but the problem is when you market it differently from the start, then change direction.
Wdtfs was more of an adult story, but lately I feel like it fits into a teen audience better.

However I still wouldn't compare wdtfs with Lilly Love or Pulse. These are pretty bad, worse than citrus.

Beg to disagree, because without the art and how the story delivered, the main story is about a female tomboyish girl with dark pass (who looks a lot like snsd taeyeon) fell in love with her pretty innocence colleagues, between the boss and subordinate just like in kdrama. (The boss and secretary) Adding all that sport car scene where sungji and her campus friends met with sumin. With a predictable cheating by sumin, This plot is... so common.

And the side story is about a romance of hotel owner with her “yet again” subordinates. This is like a prince with black horse and cinderella all over again. It might fulfill the fantasy or desire of some teenagers, but then again it lacks depth... shown how sumin x sungji issues solved with sex. Sumin x sungji and dowon x seju... there is a male x female kind of romance.... where lesbian relationships isn’t all like that.. I honestly disappointed why TG make someone like dowon as seju’s new lover. This feels like sumin x sungji all over again.

The fans mistakenly think that the story could be something else, with all the theory and prediction, yet, it never has....and never will be

After all this side story feels like a treat for seju’s fans to get some closure (happy ending), with all the luxurious seju they drawn here. Dunno, but beside the art, I don’t really feel the thrill... I don’t bother to wait for new chapter... there is no urge to want more chapters

It’s really rare to see an author go to a more mature road like ichigo 100, and not following the public want

last edited at Jul 28, 2019 2:19AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Pulse and Lilly love are not just badly written, they have annoying characters as well. Like for example in Lilly Love, almost all males are shown to be abusive. In Pulse, literally every woman wants the doctor for no reason.
Sumin has been with a lot of women, but they are not randoms like the ones in Pulse. Also there is a deeper reason they made her character like that, and that is to show how damaged she was. In Pulse there is no reason to make doctor unbelievably desired, other than forcing the reader to like her because everyone else does.
The character is badly written if you look at them as a third person, but some people want a bland mc who they can fulfill their fantasies through, like being magically wanted by many people.
With Sumin her bad habits and using sex as an escapism stops that fantasy and makes it more real. When you add something so blatantly positive to a character, in order for them to be more human and balanced, you should add a negative side to it as well. Sumin has that negative side, doctor doesn't.
The Pulse author also tried to add an ex antagonist who resembled Seju at some point, but she just ended up making her pure evil, cringy and unlikable. Wdtfs got the antagonist right and they made her sympathetic.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

But the "bland MC" in WDTFS main series was Sungji, not Sumin. The main series, if taken the way Vanbun interprets it, is basically the fantasy fulfillment of innocent, kind girl (the person the reader is supposed to project onto) healing hurt tsundere girl with dark past. Similarly in One the bland character that readers should project onto is actually Do Won.

Under this interpretation Sumin and Seju are not the traditional MCs, they are more like "objects of desire" so to speak, kinda like Mei in Citrus. There is a lot of detail given about them, but only because the readers are supposed to want to "save" them somehow lol

I sense the people who go through the story feeling Seju and Sumin are the actual MCs are probably adults who can relate more with adult problems. That's definitely the case for me, which is why Sungji and Do Won seem so out of place. But as Vanbun said and I tend to agree, maybe the development of Seju and Sumin as complex characters was accidental.

Maybe the story was better than the norm only because Team GJ accidentally made it more complex than they were originally planning, out of pouring their emotions into Seju in the 2nd half of the story due to personal reasons. I mean, the 1st half was not that good, it was focused on SungjixSumin with much more common themes, and vibes of traditional K-drama. Only on the 2nd half something snapped and the authors had a moment of brilliance xD

In other words...if it was an accident it's not going to happen again.

last edited at Jul 28, 2019 11:03AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Pulse and Lilly love are not just badly written, they have annoying characters as well. Like for example in Lilly Love, almost all males are shown to be abusive. In Pulse, literally every woman wants the doctor for no reason.
Sumin has been with a lot of women, but they are not randoms like the ones in Pulse. Also there is a deeper reason they made her character like that, and that is to show how damaged she was. In Pulse there is no reason to make doctor unbelievably desired, other than forcing the reader to like her because everyone else does.
The character is badly written if you look at them as a third person, but some people want a bland mc who they can fulfill their fantasies through, like being magically wanted by many people.
With Sumin her bad habits and using sex as an escapism stops that fantasy and makes it more real. When you add something so blatantly positive to a character, in order for them to be more human and balanced, you should add a negative side to it as well. Sumin has that negative side, doctor doesn't.
The Pulse author also tried to add an ex antagonist who resembled Seju at some point, but she just ended up making her pure evil, cringy and unlikable. Wdtfs got the antagonist right and they made her sympathetic.

I didn't read Lily Love because it was too boring for me, I stopped after couple chapters. But in the case of Pulse and I assume any other work by Ratana Satis, at least you are not being fooled, like there is no advertisement there saying what you are reading is some drama for adults. So I'm not exactly expecting a story that makes sense when I read it lol

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Ohh I actually haven't thought that people were self inserting into Sungji and Won lol. It actually makes a lot of sense if that's the case.
I don't self insert myself into any character of a pairing, so I haven't thought of it this way. I empathize with both of the characters in a pairing, that's why I want to like both characters in order to ship them.

Regardless, what I meant by Seju and Sumin is that at least some of these characters had depth. In the other works like LL or Pulse, I like anyone from the pairings enough. So comparing wdtfs with these works is not fair imo.

joined Jan 19, 2013

In other words...if it was an accident it's not going to happen again.

Sigh. I'm starting to feel this way.

I don't self-insert, but I appreciated that Seju x Sumin encompassed adulthood since there aren't too many manga/manhwa that go past HS or college. I've long since aged out of that demographic, but most of all, I feel like it's been done to death. Thus, WDTFS felt pretty fresh to me.

As I'm revisiting this manhwa and all caught up on One, it almost feels like Team GJ unintentionally developed Seju. I care way more about her than I was probably supposed to ー some of the earlier chapters should've ended with a "dun dun DUUUUUUN" to the point of being comical. And then I realized that at some point, I wanted her to end up with Sumin more than Sungji.

It'd be nice if Sumin and Seju didn't have to be "saved" by an idealist type, but it is what it is.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Now I kinda see a pattern here....

TG likes some romance when love win against everything.... A teenager kind of love...

When a character fall in love... They will fall hard without any reason.. And no need a good communication to keep it alive and healthy. Everything will be solved with sex.

I hope I am wrong but if I am right... Then seju side story will just feel like fan service without proper character development

LOL I actually saw this now. There is an Oracle among us, predicted the future a year before it happened.

last edited at Jul 28, 2019 7:33PM

joined Jun 6, 2016

You read my pass comments, if that’s the case then it’s correct too about people thinking that sumin won’t appear on the side story. lol.

My bet we will still see sumin in seju side story... eg: how seju and sumin first met, etc. So yeah.. sumin is a good material to be add on the story.

Anyway I still kinda disagree:
It’s pretty reasonable for people to go crazy with the surgeon on pulse (forget the name), because surgeon is rich lol, and adored job by public, good at sex like sumin. If sumin can, why not the doctor? I think both Authors watch the L world, shane ... ..joke.... Then, she has sex with a lot of random girls too before she met the main heroine, with a dark pass like sumin and the ex, Lmao is it coincidental to be this similar??

Yet, pulse is a cheaper replica and feel more like teenage romance and fantasy than wdtfs for sure, especially the sex part.

After all,I conclude that wdtfs is just a simple romance story, a cliche standard korean drama..... that has charming side character (antagonist) who steal the spotlight. so 7.5 / 10 the delusional fan theory here is good, but only a delusion... TG never thought like that

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 12:44PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

You read my pass comments, if that’s the case then it’s correct too about people thinking that sumin won’t appear on the side story. lol.

My bet we will still see sumin in seju side story... eg: how seju and sumin first met, etc. So yeah.. sumin is a good material to be add on the story.

Anyway I still kinda disagree:
It’s pretty reasonable for people to go crazy with the surgeon on pulse (forget the name), because surgeon is rich lol, and adored job by public, good at sex like sumin. If sumin can, why not the doctor? I think both Authors watch the L world, shane ... ..joke.... Then, she has sex with a lot of random girls too before she met the main heroine, with a dark pass like sumin and the ex, Lmao is it coincidental to be this similar??

Yet, pulse is a cheaper replica and feel more like teenage romance and fantasy than wdtfs for sure, especially the sex part.

Pulse is a cheaper replica, yet at least for me it was actually more entertaining than WDTFS since it wasn't nearly as pretentious. The issue with rising expectations is that you might not meet them.

After all,I conclude that wdtfs is just a simple romance story, a cliche standard korean drama..... that has charming side character (antagonist) who steal the spotlight. so 7.5 / 10 the delusional fan theory here is good, but only a delusion... TG never thought like that

You speak the truth.

joined Jun 6, 2016

Pulse is fun since it's fulfill the fantasy of our hidden desire lol.

There is 2 ways to view an art, as a critics or just a "customer", for eg rotten tomatoes review divided into 2, and the oscar, etc.

Because the point of view is different, critics thinks and see in different way of the commoner think. For public point of views, I think both pulse and wdtfs would score pretty high, Hehe

Personally I don't think wdtfs is a masterpiece anymore, the story is predictable and stereotypes, the art though, is what save it

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 9:25PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Es0teric

I know you keep an eye here, so when you can add me on Discord again, having a little problem with the other account lol
Thiaguinho-sama#6827

joined Feb 18, 2018

Holy shit Team GJ completely butchered the quality of this story to the point of no return. I don’t know if it’s the poor translation quality or what, but how can the plot and dialogues be SO BAD??

I feel I have to reach the end of this side story since I already started it, but it’s been literally a drag. Do Won had so much potential :((( Deeply disappointing.

last edited at Aug 6, 2019 5:23PM

joined Apr 3, 2019

I knew that Seju's story wasn't well written, but I never expected it to be this bad.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I was afraid that pacing will be too fast and it happened. Because of that I think some people will feel that relationships go to another level kind of out nowhere. For me, I can see what TG do, but still feel a little disappointed in tempo and about skipped steps. Well, after all it is a side story. Despite all of that, I like it. Hope there are some chapters left.

And I can't say that about their one-shot. It was utterly pointless. I don't know what to think about long awaited future works from them. Maybe they do like to draw steamy sex and that all, lol. I'm kidding. But still I think WDTFS with side stories and Pet aesthetic are likable stories. And not often I can say that about yuri webtoons.

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 1:43AM

joined Dec 9, 2014

It went how I imagined it. Wrapping all loose ends quickly and giving Seju a happy ending. I can't say I'm disappointed because this was a pretty expected ending.
I liked the Seju and her mom pic moment the most. It was sad and heart warming.
I think they could have explored the mystery of what happened to Seju's mom way more. And even make Dowon help her all through the process, so we didn't have a rushed romantic ending like that.
On the other hand, Seju remained true to her character and that's a good thing. She was still stubborn and a bit cold while talking to Dowon, so at least they didn't change her character to reinforce the happy ending.

There was definitely room for dragging this story more, but the fact that they finished it so quick makes me think they didn't care as much either.
Anyway, still a decent story overall. It had the potential to be something great.

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 6:42AM

joined Apr 3, 2019

I was afraid that pacing will be too fast and it happened. Because of that I think some people will feel that relationships go to another level kind of out nowhere.

About the pacing, I think I'm already used to it by now since it's been too fast since the beginning. I can get the logic of their relationship development from Seju's point of view, but not from Dowon's. Since when did she become Seju's puppy?

joined Feb 18, 2018

Do Won seems like she had a crazy personality switch, but her initial personality was actually just the bait to make readers think the story has any originality.

I realized all couples written by Team GJ are the same couple, they can’t write anything different.

Let’s call them the Puppy Girl and the Cold Girl.

WDTFS main story: in the past Sumin is Puppy, Seju is Cold; in the present Sungji is Puppy, Sumin is Cold;

One: Do Won is Puppy, Seju is Cold.

Pet’s Aesthetics: short haired girl is Puppy, long haired girl is Cold.

I mean, once you identify this pattern you pretty much already know any pair of characters that does not conform to it, will not end up together. You can also know how the story is gonna be like, as far as romance goes lmao

I know many authors follow stereotypes like that but to see it in action across so many chapters and with the pretentiousness of this series, trying to hide it behind some layers like it’s not that simple, is clever and sad at the same time...

Wish Team GJ has Kodama’s honesty to just come forward and say “yeah all our stories are about the same dynamic, deal with it” lol

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 8:14AM

joined Jun 6, 2016

Because of that I think some people will feel that relationships go to another level kind of out nowhere.

But.... is that happened in all TG’s work for their couple focus? Even the one shot, hmm...

Wish Team GJ has Kodama’s honesty to just come forward and say “yeah all our stories are about the same dynamic, deal with it” lol

Agree.. Nevertheless TG is one of old yuri writer left .... that I know consistently make yuri... aside ratana satis and that wahnw author. And yet, they only recycled their past work.... So we need to deal with it because there isn’t much yuri author lately. From the three, I like the last one the most, in term of development from the origins story. Wdtfs and LIly love were a let down...

Where is the author of love doctor, serenade, her shimcheong, girlfriend, moonlight garden, etc gone? Anyone know?

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 9:22AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

But.... is that happened in all TG’s work for their couple focus? Even the one shot, hmm...

No, it’s not. Even in one-shot. There is some base for relationships, but then it goes to some bizzare direction. Because of that one-shot was pointless.

moonlight garden

Wow, and you complain about love out nowhere in One? It somewhat funny, no offence. So many of these stories are having same problems and sometimes worse. But it is my opinion.

And I don’t see inconsistences in Won character. Just that one week wasn't shown but they already so affectionate with each other over some phone calls? TG needed develop this more and I’d love to see that, but oh, well. Still, I really enjoyed rereading last chapter.

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 10:19AM

joined Jun 6, 2016

moonlight garden

Wow, and you complain about love out nowhere in One? It somewhat funny, no offence. So many of these stories are having same problems and sometimes worse. But it is my opinion.

Welp, I just ask where is the author...... and you think I worship it...

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 10:24AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Oh no, I thought you like it, if you interested in new works. I'm sorry. I projected my point of view onto you, lol.
Yeah, it is interesting. Sometimes author do one work and then disappear. Maybe they so tired that choose another profession.

joined Jun 6, 2016

Oh no, I thought you like it, if you interested in new works. I'm sorry. I projected my point of view onto you, lol.
Yeah, it is interesting. Sometimes author do one work and then disappear. Maybe they so tired that choose another profession.

I read almost all yuri... i still enjoy it although I skip toward the end

My rant ... there is not much yuri and not so diverse like yaoi (from my friend opinion)

I still like wdtfs, it’s rare to see this kind of art in a yuri story

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 10:58AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I read almost all yuri... i still enjoy it although I skip toward the end

I tried to do the same, but sometimes I just can’t read that to the end. Like Serenade, I tried, but it was so bad… and because of that I’m not really interested in when that author will have new works. Sorry about stupid suggestions, maybe you should look up author's twitter? I only occasionally heard about Moonlight garden, that author wanted to go same trope like TG goes with Seju, but I don’t know if it was true.

My rant ... there is not much yuri and not so diverse like yaoi (from my friend opinion)

I still like wdtfs, it’s rare to see this kind of art in a yuri story

Yeah, I agree. But there are some new works started to show up. Like Taming Grace, with good art and interesting story. In my opinion, of course, lol.

last edited at Aug 7, 2019 11:22AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Welp. I've run out of comments to make about this. Curious to know what others think at least.

joined Apr 3, 2019

This "Won-ah, Won-ah, ...", turned me off. It reminded me of when Sungji kept on calling Sumin "Darling, Darling, ", but it's worse.

To reply you must either login or sign up.