Forum › To Die In June discussion

joined May 31, 2018

There are a lot of WW2 References in this series so far, Ouka is much like the Japanese suicide plane developed during ww2, launched from a bomber. Not only that, the patch on the last page of this manga with the nurse reads "731" a biological warfare unit known to perform disgusting human experiments. The cold northern country was likely the Soviet Union during the battle of Khalkin Gol where they dealt the Japanese a very bloody nose.

All in all there are a lot of references to WW2, though the dates dont match up.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This is really dark.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Oh wow, this is REALLY dark.
(And to my surprise I commented more or less the same before). lol

Be%20my%20baby%20square%20crop%20nana
joined Oct 28, 2014

Okay, I see what you're saying. I misunderstood about the circles. So they used 〇 like is done for blanking out letters and such. I haven't seen the raws, I didn't realize the numbers here were re-typeset. Though now that I think about it, of course they were, since they match the lettering.

It looks like that's the interpretation the translator went with, yeah. I think they're zeroes.

typesetter here, just wanted to say thanks for the discussion on this, because yeah, they're totally zeroes. in our defense, the raws just have big circles and the font doesn't make it clear. thanks for the correction!

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

ahhhh Merica

brings a tear to the eye.

joined Aug 24, 2016

That was fairly depressing. Poignant, but maybe overly packed with direct analogy and symbolism.

Very interesting and fits into a concept I've thought over time and time again where women, rather the generalized female, has been historically used to name the tools, conquests, pleasures and horrors of men from the general male perspective.

That's not all the story is of course, I found the element above in the text at the end, "My father told me a long time ago: Boats are women and women are the sea. All living creatures were born from it, a living soup, of blood, tears, and souls."
After reading the authors comments on Yuri-ism, the story is more about these naive young girls being thrown into complex world. A world that has pre-defined them.

Honestly, the first thought I had was of Kancolle where the ultimate tragic and depressive reality of the show hasn't been hidden behind moe and sex appeal.

I agree with your sentiments heartily, but don't forget the parallels of the standard child soldier. As for the foisting of emotional baggage onto female implements, much of that historically was simply due to the lack of presence on the battlefield or at sea for ling periods of time. That this defined(s) womanhood for many is a side effect of culture and that will take a long time to change for the better, however you define "better".

The art style of this very successfully doesn't hide the harshness of the setting, something that will make it difficult to digest and the writing style is hard for some to follow, as evidenced by quite a few comments.

Untitled-1
joined Feb 12, 2018

I just... don't get it

Xxx
joined Nov 25, 2016

Ouch.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Ohhhh I get it (not really). This is like High School Fleet, but more realistic and depressing. Is that one random notebook sketch really necessary tho?

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

oh damn.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Interesting. Accidentally read ch 4 first. >-<. Interesting none the less!

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Read because of the art. Catching style, but ...:'( ...

joined Sep 6, 2018

Huh, two chapter fours?

Ok, this is starting to go into “wtf am I reading?” territory (referring to chapter five).

__ex_keine_kamishirasawa_keine_and_kamishirasawa_keine_touhou_drawn_by_rebecca_keinelove__dac6b62f1c1ee61618ab14504ccd5a1b
joined May 30, 2018

:c

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

If Ouka were still alive, she would likely suffer from PTSD. So, really, she's the lucky one.

To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless.

Do you feel like a hero yet?

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

War, woh.
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!
Say it... Say it again.

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

interesting, i wasn't expecting her to live.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Wow, I didn't really feel sad for the chapters before but it's really hard not to be sad when she lost someone she loved right in front of her own eyes

Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

I gotta say I love moody melancholy stuff like this and that ending was Very Nice. I'm glad she lived.

Overwatch_dvaxmercy_icon
joined Sep 6, 2018

If Ouka were still alive, she would likely suffer from PTSD. So, really, she's the lucky one.

To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless.

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Someone's played Spec Ops^

And what an ending. The tragic burns my kokoro

Gg
joined Jul 13, 2018

T_T

To live watching your loved one dies is the cruelest torture, it's a life even worse than death.
It's sad, but at the same time give us hope as she has finally found a meaning of life.

You know what? Itou Hachi here I come.

joined Oct 19, 2015

Oh no, there's more? Pain incoming

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Oh, this story is coherent now

Gg
joined Jul 13, 2018

As if we don't have enough drama in our lives...

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Welp. This isn't going to end well.

Time to prep the Spec Ops. quotes again.

To reply you must either login or sign up.