Forum › Avatar: Legend of Korra spoiler for incoming comic released July 26 including another kiss pic even more cute

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hey, did you know the artist for the series is kind of pissed over the leaks of this stuff that have been happening?

It's true!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Author is pissed, but you clicked on the links anyway.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

No, I actually didn't. I'm afraid your psychic powers have failed you once again.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

It's not my fought it's all over tumbler, Do you wish for them to be deleted?

last edited at Jul 19, 2017 3:13PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Probably too late now anyway. You wanna make the artist happy, buy the graphic novel when it comes out in a week, and encourage others to do the same.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, and following Irene Koh on Twitter is also a good thing to do since she often posts good, and much of the time gay, sketches. I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

Oh I was definitely buying it. Just followed her. A must buy for me. KorraAsami was kinda big moment for yuri/lbgt in cartoons and anime

last edited at Jul 19, 2017 3:30PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I got this thing preordered the moment I could. Been waiting a long time for this.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Wish it happened in actual show. Sadly it would be too gay for kids and they had to think about selling it to other countries as well, so they needed to monitor what is put in it, to not offend anyone.

joined Jan 4, 2014

Probably too late now anyway. You wanna make the artist happy, buy the graphic novel when it comes out in a week, and encourage others to do the same.

...living under a rock and all that*; but seeing those images a. made me aware that this is coming, and b. has me excited enough to be preordering it on Amazon on a 2nd browser tab (both books actually). :)

Still sucks to see unwanted leaks, but one or two pages do tend to work as an excellent teaser.

*although I've seen the cover art in an announcement, but somehow it didn't really register as anything other than "oh, a Korra image"...

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Welp, looks like it's time to buy some new books.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

So will this series be uploaded down the road ? I ordered mine but I'm just curious?

last edited at Jul 23, 2017 9:52PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Probably not here.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Hey, did you know the artist for the series is kind of pissed over the leaks of this stuff that have been happening?

It's true!

I can't blame them. Leaks are pretty bad for business.

I feel bad for them.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's true!

I feel bad for them.

I suspect (although this is just my conjecture) that part of why she's pissed is that most of the gay stuff got leaked, which kinda sucks when you put a lot of work into that gay stuff and really wanted it to happen (the artist is very much into that gay stuff btw). I think if it was just a page or two, it wouldn't have been so much of an issue.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

It's true!

I feel bad for them.

I suspect (although this is just my conjecture) that part of why she's pissed is that most of the gay stuff got leaked, which kinda sucks when you put a lot of work into that gay stuff and really wanted it to happen (the artist is very much into that gay stuff btw). I think if it was just a page or two, it wouldn't have been so much of an issue.

I don't understand what you want to say?

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

tbh when these leaks first came out I was excited, then they did the really dumb and easy route of "hey did you know firelord sozin was literally hitler? he banned the gays too!" despite having no reason to and that not alligning with his motivation at all.

Firelord Sozin was a Tyrant yes but judging by what we saw of fire nation society under that rule he wouldn't give a shit who you were in love with so long as you fought for the fire nation and were fiercely loyal.

Also "that guy was a jerk" HE COMMITTED GENOCIDE KORRA THATS A TAD MORE IMPORTANT

last edited at Sep 22, 2017 7:50PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Rosenakahara posted:

tbh when these leaks first came out I was excited, then they did the really dumb and easy route of "hey did you know firelord sozin was literally hitler? he banned the gays too!" despite having no reason to and that not alligning with his motivation at all.

That is just really lazy and stupid explanation why them falling for each other and entire romance wasn't hinted at all in the show and came out of nowhere. And it still doesn't make sense, because even if he made up a law like that, he was defeated ages ago, so people would disregard it before Korra was even born. Not to mention everyone else except for fire nation would have no reason to listen to it anyway. So wait, they actually said it in that new comic?

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Rosenakahara posted:

That is just really lazy and stupid explanation why them falling for each other and entire romance wasn't hinted at all in the show and came out of nowhere. And it still doesn't make sense, because even if he made up a law like that, he was defeated ages ago, so people would disregard it before Korra was even born. Not to mention everyone else except for fire nation would have no reason to listen to it anyway. So wait, they actually said it in that new comic?

Yep https://imgur.com/a/aXHGU
The writing on display here is awful.

See this'd make more sense if the water tribe banned it because they had very strict enforcement of gender roles, but the fire nation? barring the tyrannical rule thing they have always been progressive and a leading force of science in the world.

last edited at Sep 22, 2017 10:27PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

You guys are out of your minds.

That is just really lazy and stupid explanation why them falling for each other and entire romance wasn't hinted at all in the show and came out of nowhere.

Wasn't hinted at? Where were you for books 3 and 4? Korrasami had a bigger fanbase than Makorra, did you think we just sprang out of nowhere? The subtext was there, yuri fans should have easily spotted it.

Besides that, the fire nation explanation was just world building. It had nothing to do with their relationship since they were part of Republic city, which used to be part of the Earth Kingdom, which they explained had always been socially opposed to homosexuality.

And about Sozin:

Firelord Sozin was a Tyrant yes but judging by what we saw of fire nation society under that rule he wouldn't give a shit who you were in love with so long as you fought for the fire nation and were fiercely loyal.

Why were gays banned from the US military until the turn of the century? You have real life parallels that answer you questions.

barring the tyrannical rule thing they have always been progressive and a leading force of science in the world.

Hmm, kind of like Germany...

last edited at Sep 23, 2017 12:44AM

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Korra saying "That guy was the worst!" in regards to enacting homophobic laws is right in line with the series' usual humor. And besides, looking at human history it wouldn't be at all surprising either even if the Fire Nation was advanced otherwise.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Cannibal posted:

You guys are out of your minds.

That is just really lazy and stupid explanation why them falling for each other and entire romance wasn't hinted at all in the show and came out of nowhere.

Wasn't hinted at? Where were you for books 3 and 4? Korrasami had a bigger fanbase than Makorra, did you think we just sprang out of nowhere? The subtext was there, yuri fans should have easily spotted it.

It wasn't. I watched entire show and only time I got a yuri vibe (and I get yuri vibe from the smallest of stuff), was when Asami commented that Korra got cute hair style and Korra blushed. It was somewhere at the beginning of season 3 and that was it. Sure you could ship them normally, but you would be hard pressed to find any evidences in the show. Especially since creators had their hands tight and if they were to make anything too explicit, Nickelodeon would cut it short immediately. They specifically stated they had to hid the idea from them until the very end and only could officially confirm it on a blog, outside the show, once it ended. I was already a huge yuri fan back then, and I didn't even catch the ending and though they were just friends going on adventure. That is how vague it was. So please, don't give me that it was hinted. It wasn't. Shit load of people complained they have no issue with it, but it came out of nowhere and felt totally unexpected.

I already made a rant about it, how clear the difference between het and gay romance is. You can read it here, but short version is, het is all over the show, but you need a magnifying glass to find any traces of gay anywhere.

Besides that, the fire nation explanation was just world building.

Sounds like shitty world bulding to me, since it wasn't ever addressed and was never a problem in the either of shows. It sounds more like a stupid retcon to show how cool and progressive we are and how old villain was even badder than we thought, because he didn't like gays in a story where our main protagonist are gays! (ignore the fact, he conquered the world and ruled it with iron fist, while killing everyone who dares to oppose him. People won't get he is bad until we make him homophobic too!)

It had nothing to do with their relationship since they were part of Republic city, which used to be part of the Earth Kingdom, which they explained had always been socially opposed to homosexuality.

Which was my point why Sozin thing sounded retarded, but at the same time this one is just as stupid. Again, it was never mentioned or had any role in either of TV series, but now that we can be open about gay stuff, let's make everything about gays. How about instead of talking how there used to be oppression, which whatever you want or not, will sound like a cheap explanation why they weren't open in the show, focus, idk, on them being lovely dovely couple now? Who gives a fuck, if it was banned before or something. You are free to do as you please now, so do. Stop excusing yourself and just focus on the story. Only other explanation I can think of is, that it is supposed to be some kind of commentary on Nickelodeon and their politics and creators are taking piss on them, but that on the other hand just sounds petty.

Why were gays banned from the US military until the turn of the century? You have real life parallels that answer you questions.

Because solders serving in it, felt weird changing and bathing together with gay man. It had nothing to do with any dictatorship etc. and more with fear and common misconceptions gay people fuck everyone as long as they are the same sex as them. They just felt uncomfortable they would be checked out etc.

barring the tyrannical rule thing they have always been progressive and a leading force of science in the world.

Hmm, kind of like Germany...

And? You didn't really disprove their point. Just because they are similar in 1 aspect it doesn't mean they are identical in everything else.

last edited at Sep 23, 2017 7:24AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

It wasn't. I watched entire show and only time I got a yuri vibe (and I get yuri vibe from the smallest of stuff), was when Asami commented that Korra got cute hair style and Korra blushed. It was somewhere at the beginning of season 3 and that was it. Sure you could ship them normally, but you would be hard pressed to find any evidences in the show. Especially since creators had their hands tight and if they were to make anything too explicit, Nickelodeon would cut it short immediately. They specifically stated they had to hid the idea from them until the very end and only could officially confirm it on a blog, outside the show, once it ended. I was already a huge yuri fan back then, and I didn't even catch the ending and though they were just friends going on adventure. That is how vague it was. So please, don't give me that it was hinted. It wasn't. Shit load of people complained they have no issue with it, but it came out of nowhere and felt totally unexpected.

I'm going to keep saying it was hinted because it was. The reddit forums was filled with people calling it out the entire 4th book. Sorry, but I guess you just are not as perceptive as you believe.

There is the blush after the compliment, Mako asking them what's going on between them, Korra calling Asami sweet when she brings her tea to cheer her up, Asami comforting Korra and holding her hand when she feels all alone in the world, Asami offers to drop everything just so that she can go with Korra to the southern water tribe, Asami is always the one watching over Korra while she meditates, the fact that they always team up together whenever possible, and Korra writes only to Asami for 2 years and you don't see anything special about that? She is just more friends with her all the sudden than Mako and Bolin? You got to be joking me.

I already made a rant about it, how clear the difference between het and gay romance is. You can read it here, but short version is, het is all over the show, but you need a magnifying glass to find any traces of gay anywhere.

Except you clearly don't since so many people found it quite easily.

And to say that it's insulting for them to hint at the gays getting together after a straight wedding is asinine. It's equating the two on the same level, the opposite of insulting.

Sounds like shitty world bulding to me, since it wasn't ever addressed and was never a problem in the either of shows. It sounds more like a stupid retcon to show how cool and progressive we are and how old villain was even badder than we thought, because he didn't like gays in a story where our main protagonist are gays! (ignore the fact, he conquered the world and ruled it with iron fist, while killing everyone who dares to oppose him. People won't get he is bad until we make him homophobic too!)

Where the hell are you getting this from and did you even read the book yourself? Sozin was a dictator that made homosexuality illegal in a mostly socially progressive society. But did you forget that the water tribe runs on "don't ask, don't tell" where you are suppose to hide the gays or how about the Earth Kingdom that has always been and currently is opposed to homosexuality? The fact that you keep bringing up the comment of Sozin shows that you weren't paying any attention to the rest of the explanation.

Which was my point why Sozin thing sounded retarded, but at the same time this one is just as stupid. Again, it was never mentioned or had any role in either of TV series, but now that we can be open about gay stuff, let's make everything about gays. How about instead of talking how there used to be oppression, which whatever you want or not, will sound like a cheap explanation why they weren't open in the show, focus, idk, on them being lovely dovely couple now? Who gives a fuck, if it was banned before or something. You are free to do as you please now, so do. Stop excusing yourself and just focus on the story. Only other explanation I can think of is, that it is supposed to be some kind of commentary on Nickelodeon and their politics and creators are taking piss on them, but that on the other hand just sounds petty.

It has nothign to do with your point, you never mentioned the Earth nation's stance on homosexuality. You said that Sozin's posiiton somehow had something to do with Korra and Asami's relationship, which it doesn't. Sozin did a ton of bad shit, he literally committed genocide, but it's retarded that he also went after other minority groups? Have you ever read a history book?

Everything about gays? Again, are you out of your fucking mind? Even in the 80 pages most of it isn't about Korra and Asami's relationship. Now all the sudden everything is about it?

Them talking about the different nations and their stance on gays has absolutely nothing to do with their relationship. It literally has no affect on them, they are learning about it at the same time as the rest of the audience. And you act like the oppression is not there anymore when they got into the whole conversation because Korra's parents telling them to keep their relationship on the down low. I have a sneaking suspicion you didn't even read the whole book and are just basing your argument entirely off the leaked pages.

Because solders serving in it, felt weird changing and bathing together with gay man. It had nothing to do with any dictatorship etc. and more with fear and common misconceptions gay people fuck everyone as long as they are the same sex as them. They just felt uncomfortable they would be checked out etc.

So the fire nation doesn't have any of that? You literally answered why Sozin would ban gays from his military.

And? You didn't really disprove his point. Just because they are similar in 1 aspect it doesn't mean they are identical in everything else.

How did I not disprove his point? His point was that technologically advanced nations don't tend to be homophobic but reality spits in his face for making such a naive statement.

last edited at Sep 23, 2017 7:55AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

How did I not disprove his point? His point was that technologically advanced nations don't tend to be homophobic but reality spits in his face for making such a naive statement.

Firstly Her* I've stated this multiple times why do people keep assuming im a guy?

Secondly did you actually watch ATLA at all? The fire nation under the sozin line of rule didn't give a shit whether you a man, woman, old, young, crippled all they cared about was: Are you willing to fight and die for the future of the nation?
If the answer was yes then great, that only started to change when Ozai took control of the nation because he was a self absorbed megalomaniacal monster who simply wanted the world for himself removed from sozins vision.

Now consider: why would such a nation seek to alienate potential soldiers/scientists for no reason at all especially considering said nation is very far removed from things like traditions unlike the water tribe?
But please continue to assume I'm naive and know nothing of how the world works, see how that works out for ya.

Now since everyone on here seems to have just skimmed over my main point, it'd make FAR more sense for the water tribe to have enforced something like this but no we cant do that, that'd show that the "good" tribe was actually kinda flawed and everything needs to be black and white.

last edited at Sep 23, 2017 11:05AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.