Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Bethesda only disappoints: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4; each one less of an RPG than the last.

annoying meme

Eh, I liked those games but there are definitely reasons to be disappointed by them if you played the older games.

It depends which one you played first. I tried New Vegas after completing Fallout 4. Quit it after first few hours.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Best Mangaka Rohan posted:

It depends which one you played first. I tried New Vegas after completing Fallout 4. Quit it after first few hours.

If you played it just to shoot things, then no wonder.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

I played it for making hilarious decision and fun dialogues and I got it.

Not sure about you ¯_(ツ)_/¯

last edited at Jun 12, 2017 7:13PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Then why did you quit it?

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Then why did you quit it?

Cuz New Vegas was bland af.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Didn't expect decisionmaking and dialogue as the driving force behind enjoying Bethesda games. That's really not what they're known for and I think they're pretty average in that regard.

But I guess there is no wrong answer to why you're enjoying Bethesda games unless your answer isn't modding boobs on everything that moves because if that isn't your answer, you're lying.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

But I guess there is no wrong answer to why you're enjoying Bethesda games unless your answer isn't modding boobs on everything that moves because if that isn't your answer, you're lying.

DAFUQ???

You took me for that kind of person?

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Just compare Morrowind to Oblivion and then to Skyrim. Just look at how questing has changed, how dialog has changed, how things keep getting removed.

I think Fallout 4 is more egregious. New Vegas fixed how skills and dialogue work, and Bethesda instead went and removed skills, made Perks everything because PERKS! and gave the dialogue system all the issues that Bioware has in their games.

I will note that Oblivion is my favorite out of the three because I really hate how Morrowind handles combat (also I don't like the island that much), but it has way more RPG elements there. I mean, I was annoyed when people were saying Oblivion is less of an RPG than Morrowind, but when I played Skyrim I saw the exact same thing that people saw with Oblivion. Fallout 4 is just more egregious in that regards. I did not play Fallout 1 and 2 until after I played Fallout 3 (which I played to death), but it is hard to play Fallout 3 when you know it could be way better.

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

oof MvCI is looking rough

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

I'm so disappointed that they didn't show any good game in Sony e3.

-Was expecting Last of Us 2..........not there

-Was expecting Red Dead Redemption 2......not there

-WAS FUCKING EXPECTING BLOODBORNE 2........NOT FUCKING THERE

So disappointed and sad :'(

last edited at Jun 12, 2017 11:11PM

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

the only game that had my attention was spiderman and God of war looks horrible.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

the only game that had my attention was spiderman and God of war looks horrible.

I have played Spiderman games to death so it was whatever.

Day Gone looked decent. God of War had new elements.

The only games in whole e3 that got my attention was Metro Exodus (loved the Last Light) and Evil Within 2 (loved the trippy and weird trailer)

joined Jun 17, 2014

Sasuke is spider man.
im gonna check out evil within trailer.
I dont really play much games.
i need to get a ps4.

last edited at Jun 13, 2017 1:05AM

Urashi C. Pin
joined Jun 17, 2014

Yep evil within 2 looks good.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I thought Fallout:New Vegas was better than 3. Enjoyed Skyrim and Morrowind but not Oblivion. But i would never say any were less of an RPG than the other. Just different forms of the genre.

joined Mar 21, 2017

The only games in whole e3 that got my attention was Metro Exodus (loved the Last Light) and Evil Within 2 (loved the trippy and weird trailer)

New Metro! I am so in.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Eber played the first one?

%23spartasgirl
joined Jul 14, 2016

People nowadays don't know what RPG means. Actually developers nowadays also don't...

Speaking as a tabletop Grognard that cut his teeth on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1E, Star Frontiers, Robotech, Rifts, Shadowrun, The World of Darkness etc, I'd have to agree for a myriad of reasons, not all of them linked to technical development.

I find that many CRPGs are simply lacking because they all tend to follow the outmoded/outdated OD&D model of level/Hit Point progression. There has to be a better way to skin a rabbit than simply doing the same thing over and over again....and in the case of JRPGs and MMOs, doing it on steroids. MMOs, especially, are guilty of stat explosion and often have to have stat squish when it would be far better to have a different type of progression.

What's funny enough is that recent scholarship (given the deaths of both Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson) on the earliest days of RPGs (way back in 1971/72) when it wasn't D&D yet (just Blackmoor created by Arneson) there was no HP progression. You had static HPs, you just got harder to hit as time wore on. That sort of re-development wouldn't occur again until much later in RPG development since Gygax apparently didn't fancy that permutation.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Wolfenstein II looking good and it seems like it will continue both timelines from TNO.

Spider-Man looks neat too.

Glad to finally see X-Com 2 expansion. Though I do not think it will core issues with the game.

Age of Empire remake... finally. I prefer the original to AoE II.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Old Fart posted:

People nowadays don't know what RPG means. Actually developers nowadays also don't...

I find that many CRPGs are simply lacking because they all tend to follow the outmoded/outdated OD&D model of level/Hit Point progression. There has to be a better way to skin a rabbit than simply doing the same thing over and over again....and in the case of JRPGs and MMOs, doing it on steroids. MMOs, especially, are guilty of stat explosion and often have to have stat squish when it would be far better to have a different type of progression.

That kinda proves my point. Whenever talking about RPG everyone always focus on lvls, progressions, skills etc which was a part of playing table RPGs, but wasn't the main focus. What was important was actually the role-play part, creating your own character, interacting with the world. For obvious reasons when making a game how much you can express yourself and interact with world is limited, but still first RPG games tried to do it, but with time you see more and more focus on liner story and combat/lvl mechanics and less on actual expression and, well, role-play. Nowadays everything tack on "RPG elements" to their games, even damn shooters and to them all it means is lvl progression system and bonus skills. There is really nothing "RPG" about it. The meaning of RPG changed to "has a lvl system and skill tree".

last edited at Jun 13, 2017 1:54PM

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

MEEETROOOOOIIIIIDDDDDD

Edit* MORE METROOOOIDDDD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhOx-FpEAQk

last edited at Jun 13, 2017 2:54PM

Urashi C. Pin
joined Jun 17, 2014

nope but i'm interested now.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

nope but i'm interested now.

You should try to play the first one to better understand the second one.

Though the story can be weird and trippy at many times but was good nonetheless.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

mfw I find out Rokuroichi'll be published here.

I didn't need to sleep today anyway.

Mayuri_icon
joined Jun 24, 2015

Kind of a heavy one all of a sudden and I've never really participated here sorry, but I just needed to dump this somewhere.
I'm about to come out to my family about my agnosticism and homosexuality. I'm from a Muslim country and my parents are literal religious teachers, am also dependent on them. There's no going back now.
If anybody cares (and I'll update if anyone does) please wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.