Forum › Is it just me or has the reader been REALLY slow lately?

joined Jan 10, 2017

Pages constantly not loading. Need to refresh often to get things working again, but when you refresh the reader insists on reloading the first page again for some reason. And if the page is color/high resolution it's 1998 again.

I use Firefox, but have tried chrome and it seems at least as slow...

9bdd23b1-1e6c-4540-bdac-7a7a8d9c3658
joined Jan 19, 2014

Yeah me too! Especially on the "syrupy love" manga for me it's extreeeemmmllly slow, so slow I heavnt read the manga yet cos I gave up the the first page to load XD I'm not sure cos all the other manga load fine for me but maybe some manga formats are much heavier and take more time to load I guess? :/

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Everything depends on the load and what's uploaded. A lot of things are uploaded in non-progressive format that takes a long time to load.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

The site's been slow for me for quite awhile. I just assumed it was my internet though because my isp is utterly worthless. Unless it's something like Google or Youtube it'll frequently take me 30+ seconds to load a page.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

I haven't really experienced anything like that recently. In case a new page is really slow to load, oddly, more often than not it's a specific page instead of a whole chapter.

But now that I think about it, I figure Dynasty Reader should have tons of traffic. Is traffic still expensive? Back in the day, it sure was.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

My internet is always slow, but it's true that sometimes when I see an update here, I also check on batoto to read there because it load faster... BUT! you still have the option to download the whole chapter here, that should fix the problem unless you want to download a bunch

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Phil posted:

But now that I think about it, I figure Dynasty Reader should have tons of traffic. Is traffic still expensive? Back in the day, it sure was.

From what I recall the site's hosting is actually provided by a generous donor. Though there are things in place such as the daily download limits in order to help keep bandwidth usage down.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

For me, some manga pokes along, while some of it loads just fine, without much apparent reason. The forums work the way they should though, my only slowdowns are in the images thread but that's understandable.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Phil posted:

From what I recall the site's hosting is actually provided by a generous donor. Though there are things in place such as the daily download limits in order to help keep bandwidth usage down.

If there is ever need, I will chip in.

e: your wish is my command, Nezchan.

last edited at Jan 11, 2017 10:46AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Far as I know, there are no plans at this point to ask for donations. So use it for a good cause, namely buying more yuri manga.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I thought it was because of image sizes. Certain manga chapters have overly high resolution and file size.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Phil posted:

Always did wonder how this place stayed up without any ads or donations or anything like that... nice to see that someone's apparently kind enough to handle all the costs themselves.

joined Oct 5, 2016

The site's been slow for me for quite awhile. I just assumed it was my internet though because my isp is utterly worthless. Unless it's something like Google or Youtube it'll frequently take me 30+ seconds to load a page.

This's been my experience more often than not ever since I started using the site. Images load sloooooow, and sometimes I just can't use the site because it'll so often fail to load pages.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Thiron posted:

I thought it was because of image sizes. Certain manga chapters have overly high resolution and file size.

This too, I really appreciate the good quality but is not friendly with some connections, most people have 720 and 1080p monitors so when the full size is twice than that (and even biggers) it makes you wonder if you really need that much... Sometimes we can even see the fibers of the color pages.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 7:04AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Serenata posted:

This too, I really appreciate the good quality but is not friendly with some connections, most people have 720 and 1080p monitors so when the full size is twice than that (and even biggers) it makes you wonder if you really need that much... Sometimes we can even see the fibers of the color pages.

It's not really feasible to support multiple resolutions though. If they had a lot of storage space and processing power it'd be possible to recode the reader to feed you an image of a resolution close to your page's resolution but that would take up a lot more storage space than it does currently, would require a lot of processing power to generate those resized versions, and would run into issues with small text likely becoming unreadable. And simply serving smaller images on the reader to everyone is also not a good solution. That would be worse for those with high resolution monitors as well as running into the aforementioned issues with small text. Giving everyone the full resolution scans is really the most realistic compromise even if it's a bit slow at times.

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

I wonder if they have a CDN in place at all. I mean, damn free Cloudflare would be better than nothing, especially for static resources like manga images and source code that rarely ever changes.

joined Feb 5, 2021

I agree they really need to fix it its been taking hours.

To reply you must either login or sign up.