Forum › Anime season

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Asuka x Kumiko was the true darkhorse endgame all along!

last edited at Dec 28, 2016 5:19PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Please some support to the poor Mikazuki :(

As for hibike... I just hope we don't get a s3, really, fans shouldn't support fake bait

last edited at Dec 28, 2016 5:34PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

So now that Flip Flappers is finished?

Does it yuri? Or just teasing? Or perhaps baiting?

Much of the show's symbolism suggests that Cocona has romantic feelings for Papika. Every non-yuri goggled review I have seen of the show acknowledges this. It all hinges on what happens in the last episode.

I think the trend of shows like Izetta where the driving force of the show is a clearly romantic relationship which is somehow never fully legitimized on screen is ridiculous (some people may disagree with me on that). I really hope Flip Flappers avoids that fate.

I hold out hope that this sort of thing is the baby steps that condition the audience to accept more from shows in the future. Even if that's not the case, Flip Flappers in particular seems very invested in presenting yuri tropes in a pretty fresh way, and not making fun of them in the process, so I'd call that progress in itself.

It definitely had two episodes that were a lot more... thematically clear? than most other anime yuri. Most traditional yuri, especially anime yuri, is basically just limited to either "girl on girl is hot" or "girls liking girls is cute and doesn't threaten the otaku's possessiveness of their waifus".

But between the Class-S yuri horror episode, and then the multiple Papika episode, it felt like it was regularly and purposefully presenting Cocona as a queer girl coming of age and struggling with her attractions. Both episodes tempt Cocona with what she wants - a romantic relationship with Papika - but only within limitations. In the yuri episode their relationship just keeps circling, lots of sexual tension but no chance of things ever actually advancing. And then the multiple Papika episode, where Cocona's offered a whole bunch of different relationships she could have with different Papika's, starting with a cute little sister, moving to a cute boy, and finally a female seductress. She turns down the seductress because she's not her Papika, not because she's female, and importantly when that Papika says that she likes Cocona, Cocona wants to know what kind of "like" she means.

That's the kind of follow up question that traditional yuri never, ever asks! It depends entirely on NOT asking that question - just like Hibike Euphonium this season, yuri will suggest romantic feelings but always end up keeping things ambivalent, always at a point where they can just say, "Oh, they're just really close friends." And it's exactly that ambivalence that Cocona keeps worrying about, that she's struggling with.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Well Flip Flappers turned out to be yuri but sadly, just like Izetta, no kiss.

The finale was absolutely stellar, and the ending had one of the best surprise twists. So glad they gave a middle finger to all the flags and tropes and gave us a happy ending. I have confidence that it will be considered a classic in the years to come. After catching up on a few other series I'll be rewatching Flip Flappers very soon.

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 8:48AM

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Well Flip Flappers turned out to be yuri but sadly, just like Izetta, no kiss.

The finale was absolutely stellar, and the ending had one of the best surprise twists. So glad they gave a middle finger to all the flags and tropes and gave us a happy ending. I have confidence that it will be considered a classic in the years to come. After catching up on a few other series I'll be rewatching Flip Flappers very soon.

Just waiting on C91 for flip flap goodies.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

FFlappers: First 2 min had me like whoa ok, that's? That's like really gay, wow, they're blushing so much, I don't think they've blushed like this before
I'm not really sure what happened in the end tbh D: Everything was built up towards this stressful mood and then? I'm not really sure why Papika was "missing", what happened after they were separated, it'd be great if someone could try to explain haha ^^;; And in the beginning too, I guess... Papika was kept in Pure Illusion, more or less as a playmate for Cocona maybe? Idk how Cocona got out of there, how she fell into that organisation's controled world (same for Papika, when did she get out?) and they both forgot each other I guess? That's more or less clarified, unless I missed something. And I guess the age gaps aren't really important, Papika's just a kid again I guess, she just lived for a long time and made lots of memories that's all. And everything was fine in the end, fortunately, so I'm pretty happy about it. The blushing we got from them was nice too. I would've liked a kiss too tbh, but it's alright. Grr I totes would have liked a kiss, would have made my year, but everything was still great
Loved it. Flip Flappers is quite the gem

Also, that scene when Mimi's selves reunited is Senpai's painting isn't it, that's really cool, I was waiting for a reference to it, it seemed unusually important in the beginning
I love the final song and scene. Gosh I'm so bummed that it's over, the resolution was kinda quick but I don't really mind. Man I'm gonna miss Flip Flappers so much, at least the final shot gives you this feeling that they'll okay and happy together, and they'll just be hanging out and adventuring together forever ;A; I loved their adventures, it was so much fun ;____;

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 1:37PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

FliFla: What happened in the end was when Mimi was sending both of them away Papika was going to stay and try to help Mimi while Cocona escape. Then we get the scene where Cocona wakes up in a realistic world where she learns that PI is closed off forever and Papika will never return. While searching for a way to enter PI again to save Papika the two just run into each other. Turns out that this realistic world was actually PI the whole time. When Papika tried forcing Cocona out of PI she fought her way back inside and the two got separated. They were then able to leave PI together and rejoin their friends in the real world.

That's the best I can explain it.

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 1:38PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

Ah thanks
I sorta considered that, but I wasn't really sure, tho wow that's really cool, that was certainly an interesting twist. For a sec I thought that PI was lost, that the way we/they were used to perceive the world was altered (for ex, that Uexkull has always been a normal bun, that we only saw him as malleable and green was sike diff perception). Turns out that Cocona was influenced by PI again it seems, that's really cool :D

I low key feel bad for Yayaka tbh, she made a heartfelt confession too and it was never replied to/heard, but it's nice to see that (ofc) her friendship remains faithful and true

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

I low key feel bad for Yayaka tbh, she made a heartfelt confession too and it was never replied to/heard, but it's nice to see that (ofc) her friendship remains faithful and true

I loved the whole show, and I loved the ending, but a kiss would have crowned it. And I also feel bad for Yayaka.

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 2:29PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

^^^ edit lol

edit: It's just that in this case, from what Nez mentioned before, she won't have watched the ep herself until usually the day after it aired, it'd be super rip that she gets spoiled as she does her mod job TTvTT

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 2:43PM

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

^^^ edit lol

I always have trouble with these forums. xD

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Got'cha covered, no probs.

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I'm so so so happy about Flip Flappers. I'm willing to forgive the lack of a kiss because this show more than most others was just so real with their relationship. The fact that they legit said unambiguously that they love each other makes it for me. I just...I'm so happy right now...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Flip Flap and Takyuu was the best of this season! :) Yes we're missing some big questions, maybe Cocona was abducted by the cult and brainwashed to believe that she was living with her grandmother, she had to be brainwashed because she didn't remember her playmate from childhood.
And the first thing they showed about Cocona's childhood in the real world was in the hospital, probably controlled by the cult too where she met Yayaka.
So... At one point they made it out of flipflap and ended in opposite sites without memories of each other... I guess we don't really need to know how they did it?
The twintails character was totally pointless lol! just a plot device for Yayaka to improve herself.... A friend told me that the director wanted a character with twintails... And that's all there's to it.

I really wanted a kiss but I'm glad we have yuri ending X) they hold hands!

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

So, aparently in a interview the FliFla's director said he learned with Yunico about what is ok or not in yuri. And he "broke" the rule when he asked for the Papika boys to be tomboys, but the artist made them looking like boys. (still look like tomboy, whatever)

So yeah, it was his intention to make it yuri, as if anyone would doubt it.

joined Sep 21, 2014

And he "broke" the rule when he asked for the Papika boys to be tomboys, but the artist made them looking like boys. (still look like tomboy, whatever)

I'm not really sure what you mean by this
Edit: Oh wait, you probably meant:
He asked the Papika 'boys' to be tomboys, but the artist made them seem like straight up boys, and so the rule was broken in terms of the idea of yuri he was aiming for
Tho, idk, couldn't he have commented/asked for a design change?

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 5:33PM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

But Oshiyama broke Yuniko's rule a little in ep7, where he decided Papito and Papiya to be girl(or, tomboy), but Kojima kind of drew them like boy.

It's not his fault, but there.
I remember the artist saying he wanted to draw them as boys, but the director asked to drawn them as feminine, though, so I'm not sure why he thinks that. Maybe he thought they were too masculine yet.

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 5:32PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

Ah ok I found your quote

"Oshiyama knew nothing about yuri at first, Yuniko gave him a lesson about it and what is ok and what should NOT be done.
But Oshiyama broke Yuniko's rule a little in ep7, where he decided Papito and Papiya to be girl(or, tomboy), but Kojima kind of drew them like boy."

I get it now

This is also the interview the anon was quoting from

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 5:37PM

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Ah ok I found your quote

"Oshiyama knew nothing about yuri at first, Yuniko gave him a lesson about it and what is ok and what should NOT be done.
But Oshiyama broke Yuniko's rule a little in ep7, where he decided Papito and Papiya to be girl(or, tomboy), but Kojima kind of drew them like boy."

I get it now

I still don't get it... You mean they should have been girls (tomboys) but were depicted as boys?

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 5:56PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

Ah ok I found your quote

I get it now

I still don't get it... You mean they should have been girls (tomboys) but were depicted as boys?

Yeah. I'm guessing that having Cocona flustered over boy Papikas doesn't imply yuri, he was aiming for an all girls harem of Papikas, he intended for them to be all girls at least (like, more clearly)
That ep was basically an otome game tbh, tho Cocona's reverse harem was like 7-8 versions of Papika

last edited at Dec 29, 2016 6:01PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Ah ok I found your quote

I get it now

I still don't get it...

Turns out that in the episode with all the different versions of Papika the ones that looked like boys were actually physically girls. The director wasn't happy that they looked too masculine because it would make it seem that Cocona was attracted to boys rather than tom boy versions of Papika. The director wanted 100% Yuri without any confusion.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Turns out that in the episode with all the different versions of Papika the ones that looked like boys were actually physically girls. The director wasn't happy that they looked too masculine because it would make it seem that Cocona was attracted to boys rather than tom boy versions of Papika. The director wanted 100% Yuri without any confusion.

Thanks for the explanation. So, not only does the show feel gay, it is gay!

But no kiss. Unforgivable.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The director wanted 100% Yuri without any confusion.

Bless that director. <3

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So regarding Papika, I get that she had her time rewound to infancy, then re-aged to Cocona's age. I'm just not sure why, or how it fits in the rest of the continuity. My best guess is the other Mimi did so in order to literally make a friend for her daughter, after tossing them both into Pure Illusion. I guess following the escape attempt or something.

Also not sure how we got from Not Big Fire capturing Papikana and getting the drop on Salt and Mimi to Mimi apparently dead, Cocona in custody in the real world, Salt on the loose with a makeshift organization of his own, and what was a science org turning into a quasi-religion.

I guess on some level it doesn't really matter since the plot is basically Cocona coming out to herself and doing really awesome things on the way.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I guess some things will just have to remain a mystery so that people have some things to continue to speculate about. Personally I'm hoping for short OVAs to fill in the blanks, but I'm not holding my breath.

To reply you must either login or sign up.