Forum › The Flower Basket discussion

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

First Yuri dosnt need kissing.

Yeah, and toast doesn't need butter and jam either, but I sure as hell don't want to eat it dry.

joined Feb 23, 2013

Wow that was interesting. It felt like it was skipping over a lot of explanation, building directly on top of a lot of common clichés, skipping over them without actually mentioning them. I love how everything between them was said obliquely...

Miman is a great author.

last edited at Nov 23, 2016 9:57AM

Img_20191208_235120
joined Nov 14, 2015

Forget everything, nothing is better than the credits!

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who didnt get what was going on

Popular girl is used to having girls like her, but not confessing to her? And when a girl throws out her flowers and calls her a peach blossom, its all good? I guess? Cool

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Popular girl is used to having girls like her, but not confessing to her? And when a girl throws out her flowers and calls her a peach blossom, its all good? I guess? Cool

Actually, the way you describe it leaves the story making more sense, in that the other girls have all admired her but left it at that. This girl actually put it into words, and felt jealous regarding her paying attention to other girls' gestures and calling her a peach blossom which as mentioned above is symbolic of devotion. So put together, this girl is actually serious where the others were superficial, so she can't just treat it lightly.

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

Actually, the way you describe it leaves the story making more sense, in that the other girls have all admired her but left it at that. This girl actually put it into words, and felt jealous regarding her paying attention to other girls' gestures and calling her a peach blossom which as mentioned above is symbolic of devotion. So put together, this girl is actually serious where the others were superficial, so she can't just treat it lightly.

That's roughly how I understood it as well. The "beautiful" girl didn't seem like a nice person to me, though, because I furthermore actually took offense that the other was serious. As in "how dare you make me have to face actually sincere feelings". I've actually seen people act that way and they were typically real assholes (like "I should not have to be bothered by the feelings of people I don't personally love and they should feel bad for telling them to me").

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That's roughly how I understood it as well. The "beautiful" girl didn't seem like a nice person to me, though, because I furthermore actually took offense that the other was serious. As in "how dare you make me have to face actually sincere feelings". I've actually seen people act that way and they were typically real assholes (like "I should not have to be bothered by the feelings of people I don't personally love and they should feel bad for telling them to me").

Well, I think the offense involved the fact that for the other girls' superficial feelings, all she needed to do was take care of the flowers. The other girl's sincere feelings meant that she had to become an active participant whether she wanted to or not. Now that doesn't mean she wasn't a jerk or anything of course.

I do wonder her stating that she's beautiful was a mistake on the author's part, since it doesn't seem otherwise like she's egotistical. She's friendly to others and doesn't go out of her way for praise, but rather recognizes there's a superficial reason why all those girls give her flowers or say they admire her. It probably should have been done differently since that phrase seems to be interpreted as "self-absorbed bitch" instead.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I think the story is just lacking enough actual story^^
Storywise normal girl Yukimine loves popular girl Kaga. Kaga doesn't like/need/believe that. So Yukimine has to do something to show her that she is different from all the other girls and capable of forming a meaningful connection. Here she steals and throws aways all the flowers as some sort of statement/jealousy. Why Kaga sees this as something positive is beyond me, but she does comment that those flowers wither after a day anyway, probably meaning that the feelings of the other (fan)girls aren't real or shortlived. And maybe Kaga still believes this to be the case for Yukimine too, but she is now willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.
So little change in so many pages. Nothing happens^^.

I don't know what the cat part really means, but isn't this just about doing good deeds and being perceived as beautiful/good for it?

Pretty much what I got out of it.
I liked it alright. Both characters did or said at least one thing that bugged me personally but in more of a accepted character flaw or differences in perspective sort of way. And one of them wasn't even the I hate cats thing. I don't hate people who hate cats even though I love cats.

joined Jun 17, 2014

Is it bad if I didn't understand with was going on....

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Does anyone happen to know what magazine this originally ran in?

Personally, I quite liked it. The emphasis on each word and panel was pretty unusual - I found myself rereading every page cos I nearly missed something every time. Pretty nice to see something so subtle when so many manga go the polar opposite direction.

joined Oct 13, 2015

I didn't think it was too difficult to follow. And my 'what?' reaction at the end was because i didn't really get the point of this story.
Perhaps that's just me but occassionally i do think 'why was this made a story?'

To reply you must either login or sign up.