Forum › The Girl's Magic Flute discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I understand the caveats people have raised about this relationship--but still, there's a lot of good will and honesty on both sides here.

There are plenty of chances that it won't last forever. But what are the chances that it will be worse than nothing? I'd say the most likely is a beautiful sweet memory for both of them. That's far from worthless.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I like how this age gap was handled. The younger party is the one who is pursuing, leading, while the older one looks confused and, ultimately, swept into it by the determination, and even some slyness on the part of the high school student. Such dynamics basically circumvent all the stereotypical issues with age gap relationships when one party is still rather young, like power dynamics, consent, and such. Not only is the adult here in no position of authority over the adolescent (like a teacher would be, for example), but the adolescent is actually the one doing all the romantic pursuing.
In fact, I like this particular approach to the point that Andou's slightly stalkerish (case in point, her seeking out Machi at her workplace, after the latter decided on ignoring Andou's messages as a course of action, and even going as far as intimately touching her; now, it is obvious Machi does not mind, but still, that is her workplace, and the two of them met previously a grand total of two times) and sly (when she managed to get Machi to stop her at the end, at least, my interpretation is that it was a calculated risk on Andou's part) actions do not seem reproachable.
All of this is then made even more appealing, at least for me, by the fact this piece manages to pull it off, while having quite a large age gap. Andou is 16, while Machi is a full adult through and through. Her marriage lasted for 17 years, and considering the minimal age required to marry in Japan is 16, she is 33,at minimum, and it stands to reason she did not get married immediately after turning 16, probably waiting until after high school, at the very least. So, she could be anywhere above 34, 35, and bellow 50 (because even with manga looks, I doubt she could be older than that, or even that old, to be honest; if I had to guess, I would go for the 35-45 window).

Also, I liked how Machi gave some early signs she could swing that way, so to speak, when she admired Andou's looks, in particular, her legs, after their meeting, concluding that the day was miserable, but she at least got to see something nice. Granted, it was a minor detail, that Machi in all probability did not think more seriously than as a passing comment, but still, it was neat. Added to that is the fact she did not angst in the slightest over Andou being a girl, but her main points of concern were the stability and longevity of a possible relationship between them, due to their difference in age, not the fact they are of the same gender.

I also wonder how much time passed between the entrance ceremony and Shou taking Andou home to see his mother. I first thought it was that same day, which made me slightly roll my eyes at the "love at first sight", but then I realised it could have been weeks, or even months later, which would be more believable. Initial infatuation that got to grow in the meantime, by Andou thinking and fantasizing about Machi.
I liked the son as well. That must be one of the most easy-going and supportive family members I ever saw in a yuri manga.

last edited at Jun 7, 2016 5:06AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

^@ UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins I rolled my eyes after seeing this paragraph because it's 6am wtf am i still doing awake but I kept reading and it was a nice comment and I just wanted to say that it was a nice reflection and I'm glad I stuck around and read it.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Thank you for the compliment, Faust. :)

Korrasami
joined Dec 14, 2014

Wtf, Dynasty staff? Tag the uncensored smut properly!

Hehehehahahaha

RumpledForeSkiin
joined Jun 27, 2016

I dunno. I just found this fairly creepy.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Sequel or serialization, now. >:O

Also, I think the Bisexual tag should only be used if the same character is seen with people of both genders (whether at the same time or not), not for any character who went from a straight relationship to a homo one and vice-versa.

Edit: There's a sequel: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_day_the_cherryfruit_ripens
I still want a serialization though

last edited at Jan 31, 2019 8:34PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Me immediately after reading this:
That was nice.

Me 10 seconds later:
Hold on, did I just say what I think I did?

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

That supportive son totally deserves a nice boyfriend.

joined Oct 7, 2021

That supportive son totally deserves a nice boyfriend.

Doesn't have to be though.
Bout time we normalize the fact that heterosexual/asexual people can be supportive too.

joined Oct 7, 2021

I'd say love is love but not really sure this relationship is love though
At least not at this point.

To reply you must either login or sign up.