Forum › madoka magica, what is the order to watch?

Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

i haven't watched any of madoka magica, what should i watch first ? the TV then OVA 1+2+3 or just OVA 1+2 ? because i heard 1+2 is movie version of the TV and 3 is the world reset asspull so they can milk the serie more ?

joined Jun 12, 2015

The TV series (bluray) + Rebellion.

Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

what about OVA 1 and 2 ? i mean movie 1 and 2

last edited at May 15, 2016 7:41AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

It's just a recap of TV series. With slighty better art. But the pacing is still better in TV series.

last edited at May 15, 2016 7:48AM

joined Aug 10, 2015

Those are adaptions of the Tv series. So not necessary.

Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

should i watch them and skip the TV ? because macross F movie recap is pretty good

joined Jun 12, 2015

Better to watch TV series.

joined May 23, 2015

According the the guy who wrote the story, Rebellion flows specifically from the movie adaptations and the characters from the TV version would have reacted differently.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

It's up to you really, you'll probably want to rewatch Puella Magi anyways once you're done so watch the movies first and leave the TV series for a revisit of the series. Movies 1 and 2 are pretty much exactly like the TV series but the movies have some added details.

There's really no wrong choice to make here. And Rebellion is not ''milking'' the franchise at all, imo.

joined May 23, 2015

There's really no wrong choice to make here. And Rebellion is not ''milking'' the franchise at all, imo.

Whatever your opinion may be, the director and writer got into a pretty big fight over exactly that issue.

Rsz_youravatar_3
joined Jun 30, 2015

Whatever your opinion may be, the director and writer got into a pretty big fight over exactly that issue.

I'd like a source on that. I get that Shinbo suggested Urobuchi change the ending, but I don't recall Urobuchi being against the idea.

joined Oct 3, 2014

I'd like a source on that. I get that Shinbo suggested Urobuchi change the ending, but I don't recall Urobuchi being against the idea.

Same. I had the impression Urobuchi went along with the suggestion without much trouble.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

melevas posted:

Movies 1 and 2 are pretty much exactly like the TV series but the movies have some added details.

There's removed details too though. Movie 1 is something like episodes 1-8 iirc while movie 2 is the last four episodes but both movies are the same length, with movie 2 being right around the same length as the four episodes it comprises.

MelonBun posted:

From what I recall reading Urobuchi was not only not against the idea but was for it because he was dissatisfied with the ending he had at the time.

joined May 23, 2015

I saw it in an interview way back around the time the movie first came out, and I can't seem to find it anymore, myself. And everything I find now that even references the event speaks of it really toned down.

I can't tell if it's something that was blown out of proportion at the time, or something that is being glossed over now.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Disregarding whatever disagreements there were between the director and writer and stuff, I'd still have to recommend the original series over the 2 recap movies. The series is longer, but there's just a lot of important characterization and stuff there that was cut out in the movies. After the series watch Rebellion, the third movie, since it's a proper sequel.

last edited at May 15, 2016 1:57PM

Rsz_youravatar_3
joined Jun 30, 2015

I saw it in an interview way back around the time the movie first came out, and I can't seem to find it anymore, myself. And everything I find now that even references the event speaks of it really toned down.

I can't tell if it's something that was blown out of proportion at the time, or something that is being glossed over now.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Movie_3_Brochure

You probably read a very skewed opinion, here's the interview you're talking about.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

So as a viewer you can't judge for yourself? I mean someone who's really into the franchise should be able to tell if it's just pure milking. And arguing over the ending is not the same as thinking that the whole movie was just to make money, or is it?

Anyways, the rebellion movie definitely talks about things that have been left unspoken in the series and who knows what the concept movie will have in store for us. I'm hella excited for it.

joined May 23, 2015

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Movie_3_Brochure

You probably read a very skewed opinion, here's the interview you're talking about.

I'm not so sure it was that one! But it was two and a half years ago, and I can't find any trace of it remaining except for excerpts from a few different interviews akin to that one, with people speaking very politically about it and leaving a few statements that could only vaguely be interpreted as possibly pointing in that direction, so it's a moot point that I'll forfeit.

joined Aug 16, 2015

Perso, what I like to do is watch the first 8 episodes, then the 2nd movie and then Rebellion. (I don't like the first movie because it removes all the yuri :P And some super important scenes, in my opinion, like Homura trying to kill Sayaka)
The second movie is pretty good, though. And some scenes are way better than in the TV series, like Kyouko's sacrifice to kill Sayaka's witch.
Overall, you get much more when watching it like this if you think about it. (probably not very accurate because of openings and endings, but I watch both, so it still counts as more to me :P)
First 8 episodes = ~2h40 <------------
First movie (recap of first 8 episodes) = 2h10
Episodes 9-12 = ~1h20
Second movie (recap of episode 9-12) = 1h50 <------------

last edited at May 15, 2016 5:48PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

Personally I like to watch the tv version, then the BDs, then the movies.

Rfrf
joined May 31, 2013

the movies are just pretty, abridged versions of the tv series, so they had to cut things like mami's character development. stick to the series, wait a day or so to chill, then watch the movies. ovas aren't really necessary unless you want to test yourself on what they added in/shortened.

you'll probably get really into makoda magica anyway- that the bluray and movies won't seem like enough by the time you're done with them.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

you'll probably get really into makoda magica anyway- that the bluray and movies won't seem like enough by the time you're done with them.

And then there're the manga. I suggest staying clear from the mediocre LN tho.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

If you really want to get into it, try the PSP game after finishing the series but before Rebellion. It's certainly interesting, to say the least. Plus it was partially written by Urobuchi himself, IIRC.

To reply you must either login or sign up.