Forum › Gardenia discussion

%e3%83%81%e3%83%83%e3%83%86%e3%82%a3
joined May 10, 2015

Add aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangst tag. I don't want to see this.
Seriously who the fuck enjoys this? NTR fetishists?

joined Oct 3, 2014

Well...can't say I'm surprised given the setting. But I'd rather have been wrong. After so many stories spun from the same thread this feels rather like bullshit now.

Thing is that this one is one of the "original" ones. Scanlated now, but published more than 6 years ago...

Welp, no wonder it felt extra bland, this being an older rendition of the narrative of "I'm sorry I must fulfill my duty to be married off." After having read other variations on the same theme, I'm looking at this with bullshit-tinted glasses.

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

Kill the husband

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Kill the husband

Whoo! We's gonna make us a Taisho-era Thelma & Louise!

On the run, stealing horses and dodging the Imperial police on a fast-moving train, it'll be amazing!

Gorgeous%20ruka
joined Jan 13, 2014

This makes me feel awful. :(

Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

shit. there's actually tears in my eyes T_T

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Brrr...this type of history make cactus grown up on the botton on my hearth

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Well, that wasn't depressing at aaaaaaall... -.-
Why do i love historical settings so much, when the women at that time had no power to chose the life they wanted?

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I wonder how much of this is actually 'Historical' and how much is actually just a modern day setting in yukatas?

Just a question. Good art, solid story. Not really pulling my heart strings though...I think it's because there wasn't much buildup? Hard to say.

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

jtt:
Thing is that this one is one of the "original" ones. Scanlated now, but published more than 6 years ago...

Well it's plainly shooting for a throwback to the oldest generations of tragic or bittersweet yuri, so I don't know that I'd give it many points for originality. And 2009 isn't exactly the Early Days given Marimite and Utena were already fairly postmodern about these themes in 1997.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

For my money the "that cool sempai I really admire just happened to like me too" trope is way more dire than anything involving arranged marriages.

At any rate I rather think of this as bittersweet than bad end. Maybe Mr. 1st or 2nd Lieutenant was actually a really good man and came to love his wife very much. Is there any point in choosing to believe that everyone lived miserably ever after?

Add aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangst tag. I don't want to see this.
Seriously who the fuck enjoys this? NTR fetishists?

Not even close to NTR.

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Classical yuri checklist - fulfilled.

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

I don't like the ending AT ALL! T^T

However, when the fiction was mixed with reality that somehow on the past and even on these days still exist that what is likely supposed to happen, and that is the fact. Yet, I never closed the numerous point of probability in their future generation what might will happen.

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

Well, that wasn't depressing at aaaaaaall... -.-
Why do i love historical settings so much, when the women at that time had no power to chose the life they wanted?

I love historical setting because I am a social studies major. Most of the culture man has the most power but culture varies. As of the Asian people characteristic is religiosity or having a strong faith to the almighty creator/s that affect most of our values and how we interact to other people especially in the aspect of building the most foundation of our society the family. That is why for me the ending is somewhat I expected.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

yurinaissance

As of the Asian people characteristic is religiosity or having a strong faith to the almighty creator/s that affect most of our values and how we interact to other people especially in the aspect of building the most foundation of our society the family.

Wait, what?

last edited at Nov 27, 2015 11:21AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

yurinaissance

As of the Asian people characteristic is religiosity or having a strong faith to the almighty creator/s that affect most of our values and how we interact to other people especially in the aspect of building the most foundation of our society the family.

Wait, what?

Various polls put people describing themselves as "not religious", "religion is not important" and "atheist" at somewhere between 60-70% in Japan, generally staying consistent over the past decade.

So. Um. yeah.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Also, aren't Shinto, Confucianism and Buddhism not particularly fussy over how the world was created, but rather how we live day-to-day in the current time?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

From what I know the Japanese don't really believe in anything. Buddhism isn't really a religion and Shintoism become more a tradition than real religion (since they don't really believe that all those deities really exist). There isn't much real Christianity as well, since they mostly just let you choose if you want to marry using Christian style, but except for it being fancy, there is not much connection to religion when you do (they exist, but as Nezchan mentioned, they are minority). Actually the reason why Japan has the biggest diversity of Buddhism sects, mass suicides and similar things is because, there is such lack of real religion and greater purpose in their lives, that they are way easier to manipulate into believing in such false fantasies that sects are using.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Actually the reason why Japan has the biggest diversity of Buddhism sects, mass suicides and similar things is because, there is such lack of real religion and greater purpose in their lives, that they are way easier to manipulate into believing in such false fantasies that sects are using.

Wait, what?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan

Actually the reason why Japan has the biggest diversity of Buddhism sects, mass suicides and similar things is because, there is such lack of real religion and greater purpose in their lives, that they are way easier to manipulate into believing in such false fantasies that sects are using.

Wait, what?

That is what our professor told us. Apparently Buddhism sects and sects in general are a real problem in Japan.

last edited at Nov 27, 2015 12:05PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

i hope they cheat.

+1

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

In general Japanese (older generations anyway) will identify as non-religious then, when pressed why they nonetheless put so much stock in traditional beliefs like the kami, will say "Well, that's not religion, it's just true."

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

In general Japanese (older generations anyway) will identify as non-religious then, when pressed why they nonetheless put so much stock in traditional beliefs like the kami, will say "Well, that's not religion, it's just true."

That reminds me of the way the Japanese worded their acceptance of the Potsdam Proclamation. They were worried about the Allies deposing the Emperor, and they wrote something along the lines of "the Emperor's power is divine in origin, and thus above reproach", which was then reworded into "the supreme authority of the Emperor", on the insistence of Baron Hiranuma, who wanted the message to match the wording of the Meiji Constitution.

"Well, that's not religion, it's just true."

Kind of like the Vorta in DS9.

last edited at Mar 22, 2016 1:00PM

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Having Japan admit that Shinto is, in fact, a religion was one of the major steps in the Allies dismantling the prewar order.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Just a curious little fact here, I've heard that there are more members of religions in Japan than there are people in Japan. In other words, many of these "non-religious" Japanese people are members of two or more religions (hedging their bets). Sorry, I don't remember my source, but I think it was a translator's note in a manga someplace.

last edited at Nov 27, 2015 6:33PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.