Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

just a thought... do you guys think Hye-kyung set up the whole amusement park thing? just so that norae and seola will be alone? (she "suddenly had a call") --- just saying cause we all know how percetive hye-kyung is.

Port
joined Jan 23, 2015

just a thought... do you guys think Hye-kyung set up the whole amusement park thing? just so that norae and seola will be alone? (she "suddenly had a call") --- just saying cause we all know how percetive hye-kyung is.

Well hye kyung never showed any sign of catching on with what is happening between no-rae and seol-a, not in the manhwa at least. But i totally agree with you, somehow i get the same vibe...

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Thank you very much everyone for the insta-awesome translations!

that, or the one who actually set everything up was No-rae herself, i.e. Hye-kyung has never ever been invited lol

After reading this chapter I started to ship Hye-kyung with Seol-a's brother!

last edited at Sep 20, 2015 9:00PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

Thanks again to halmoni and thatanon.

Though it was a short chapter, I also really liked the interactions between Seol-a and Jin-woo. They're hilarious together. x3

Given that next week will be a shorter special chapter, I do wonder whether ssamba has "something" in store for Chapter 47 two weeks from now.

And also, I wonder what ssamba will do for next week's special chapter? I suppose there'll be a Q&A, as was mentioned in the Hiatus Notice?

BTW, an Overtooning translation of the Hiatus Notice is actually available. I was not aware of this until recently. You can get it translated via the usual method: bit.do/ffovertoon.

last edited at Sep 20, 2015 9:20PM

Port
joined Jan 23, 2015

that, or the one who actually set everything up was No-rae herself, i.e. Hye-kyung has never ever been invited lol

If this is the case, then the phrase 'special chapter' takes a whole different, delicious meaning lol

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

If this is the case, then the phrase 'special chapter' takes a whole different, delicious meaning lol

Lol you wish. I know Norae would never be that bold.

Thanks a ton for the fast typeset btw.

No-rae
joined Feb 4, 2015

This chapter was so cute haha, loved seeing that 'Im in love' expression on Seol-A. I also liked seeing Seol-A and her brother interacting. In general, I liked seeing Seol-A's expressions. Oh and the dad! Poor man lmao

The final part of the chapter has to lead to something. It just has. They are alone in Lotte World, its almost a date. I dont think ssamba will lose this opportunity (hopefully).

I wonder if it was planned though, because suddenly Hye-kyung had to go umm. Now, the question is, was it planned by Hye-kyung or No-Rae? I would love it if it was No-Rae's plan but thats harder. Maybe Hye-kyung is indeed busy and its fate hehe.

Anyway thanks for the trans. And the typeset. You guys are awesome!

joined Sep 8, 2015

I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't trust Ji-hwan. He gave up on No-rae too easily and didn't even question the probable homosexual relationship between her and Seol-a. Why's that? The whole time he was positioned as an antagonist character, wasn't he? Then how come did he turn out to become such a nice chap all of a sudden? Does he really plan to get those two together and get no benefits out of it for himself? Or do I really draw him as being too much of a monster in my mind?

I might be the only one but I actually think he is a pretty decent guy... who likes to tease a lot, but good in the end ^^

Also, I had a question: to support Ssamba in the comico site, only chapters apply or going to the main page of the manhwa does count as a view ?

And as always, thank you guys for the great AND very quick translation and roughs! Your work is very much appreciated :D

Ayase-aragaki%20-%20copy
joined Jul 20, 2013

Looks like its a date. Since No-rae isn't good w/ rides, they decided to focus more on sight-seeing. I hope that'll set up a lovey dovey atmosphere between them but special chap nxt week so Y_Y
Let's wait patiently guys xD

joined Sep 20, 2015

Poor dad. . oh well, seol-a prefers a polar No rae bear over a teddy. xD

joined Apr 25, 2015

The way No-Rae stammered, I thought it was her who lied and Hye-kyung never even planned to come...but then again not sure if No-Rae would do something like that, she is pretty honest.

Looks like Seo-la had a moment of jealousy when her brother saw the photos. She should set him up with Hye-kyung^^

And poor dad.

I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't trust Ji-hwan. He gave up on No-rae too easily and didn't even question the probable homosexual relationship between her and Seol-a. Why's that? The whole time he was positioned as an antagonist character, wasn't he? Then how come did he turn out to become such a nice chap all of a sudden? Does he really plan to get those two together and get no benefits out of it for himself? Or do I really draw him as being too much of a monster in my mind?

Did I miss something but since when was he an antagonist. I can't remember a single scene with him doing something bad to any of the girls.

Not everyone is deaf and can't understand word "no".

last edited at Sep 21, 2015 2:10PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Did I miss something but since when was he an antagonist. I can't remember a single scene with him doing something bad to any of the girls.

because it's Het....

joined Mar 28, 2014

Since pretty much his first proper appearance, i.e. since chapter 7. And of course he's been a love threat to the main couple for 25 chapters, till No-rae rejected him. And even now his next steps regarding his feelings are not absolutely clear. He appears to have been resolved since chapter 45, but will his feelings stay like this forever or will they change again? Just like it's not clear if and how he will use Seol-a's promise from chapter 7.
What I mean is that one doesn't necessarily has to act Dr.Evil to be the antagonist.

last edited at Sep 21, 2015 3:49PM

joined Apr 25, 2015

He likes to tease Seo-la so... I tease people all the time too in very similar way, especially if I've known them for a while. Does not mean I have bad intentions and these two have known each other for years and been close friends. Not once Seo-la seemed actually hurt by his words and if she was, she would've stopped talking to him years ago.

Just cause two people are in love with one person, does not mean one of them is an ass-hole. And just cause he got rejected does not mean he will automaticly stop liking her. Feelings will linger for quiet a while and it's not like he over stepped any lines since rejection.

I can't really call that a promise, I have 100s of promises like that. They never ever pop up again.

True but just cause a person likes teasing people and happens to be rejected, does not make them antagonists either.

And from personal preference I would much rather avoid another "bad" male character. It's way too cliche and unnatural. There are 3 things that always ruined yuri manga/shows for me.
1) Everyone is gay
2) Just sex and fanservice
3) All men are evil

So far Fluttering Feelings avoided first 2, no need to include the 3rd one either.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Don't you know that if you're a male character in a yuri series you'll automatically be labeled as the "antagonist"? Regardless of your actual character traits or role. /s

At the time of his confession to No-rae, Seol-a was not actively pursuing No-rae as a romantic interest; she didn't even realize her feelings for No-rae. So it's hard to say that Ji-hwan was being an antagonist by opposing one of our protagonist's goals (Seol-a), because becoming romantically involved with No-rae wasn't Seol-a's goal at that specific moment in time.

Now that Seol-a's goals have been somewhat...established, is Ji-hwan trying to stop Seol-a and get in the way? No. He's their number 1 supporter at the moment. Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo were set up to serve as foils for Seol-a and No-rae respectively. They both interact with the girls and attempt to become involved romantically, but in the end they both fail because they're lacking something (i.e. Kyung-woo lacked No-rae's honest, sincere, and pure attitude; Ji-hwan lacked Seol-a's patience as well as an understanding of No-rae's definition of "love" and thus he tells Seol-a that she needs to change her views on dating wooow best antagonist ever).

Basically the only reasons why people kept kicking Ji-hwan in the balls throughout the whole series were because 1) he's male and 2) het threat. Yu-ji fit the definition of antagonist way more than Ji-hwan (i.e. she obstructs Seol-a's goals of having a nice, peaceful school life by being a bitch, whether it was intentional or not). But people were too blinded by their yuri goggles cause hurr durr ohmigosh Yu-ji must have been Seol-a's first love blah blah blah and that one "I've felt/done this before" line by Seol-a was totes referring to Yu-ji, not that scene where she sleeps over at No-rae's place even though it's already been clarified, like, a billion times by the translator.

If Ji-hwan were a girl, I'm 5000% positive that we would've seen comments like, "I feel so bad for Ji-hwan-senpai-chan omggg she didn't deserve to be rejected like that she's loved No-rae for YEARS Ji-hwan x No-rae 4lyfe".

last edited at Sep 21, 2015 7:06PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

halmoni:

Don't you know that if you're a male character in a yuri series you'll automatically be labeled as the "antagonist"? Regardless of your actual character traits or role. /s

At the time of his confession to No-rae, Seol-a was not actively pursuing No-rae as a romantic interest; she didn't even realize her feelings for No-rae. So it's hard to say that Ji-hwan was being an antagonist by opposing one of our protagonist's goals (Seol-a), because becoming romantically involved with No-rae wasn't Seol-a's goal at that specific moment in time.

Now that Seol-a's goals have been somewhat...established, is Ji-hwan trying to stop Seol-a and get in the way? No. He's their number 1 supporter at the moment. Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo were set up to serve as foils for Seol-a and No-rae respectively. They both interact with the girls and attempt to become involved romantically, but in the end they both fail because they're lacking something (i.e. Kyung-woo lacked No-rae's honest, sincere, and pure attitude; Ji-hwan lacked Seol-a's patience as well as an understanding of No-rae's definition of "love" and thus he tells Seol-a that she needs to change her views on dating wooow best antagonist ever).

Basically the only reasons why people kept kicking Ji-hwan in the balls throughout the whole series were because 1) he's male and 2) het threat. Yu-ji fit the definition of antagonist way more than Ji-hwan (i.e. she obstructs Seol-a's goals of having a nice, peaceful school life by being a bitch, whether it was intentional or not). But people were too blinded by their yuri goggles cause hurr durr ohmigosh Yu-ji must have been Seol-a's first love blah blah blah and that one "I've felt/done this before" line by Seol-a was totes referring to Yu-ji, not that scene where she sleeps over at No-rae's place even though it's already been clarified, like, a billion times by the translator.

If Ji-hwan were a girl, I'm 5000% positive that we would've seen comments like, "I feel so bad for Ji-hwan-senpai-chan omggg she didn't deserve to be rejected like that she's loved No-rae for YEARS Ji-hwan x No-rae 4lyfe".

"tl;dr" version for your convenience:

BREAKING NEWS: JI-HWAN CONFIRMED HET THREAT ANTAGONIST BY HALMONI

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

last edited at Sep 21, 2015 7:34PM

joined Mar 28, 2014

He likes to tease Seo-la so... I tease people all the time too in very similar way, especially if I've known them for a while. Does not mean I have bad intentions and these two have known each other for years and been close friends. Not once Seo-la seemed actually hurt by his words and if she was, she would've stopped talking to him years ago.

There's a difference between teasing and mocking. The boundary may be quite blurred and subjective, I agree, but it still exists. And what Ji-hwan was doing in chapter was pure mocking, at least in my books. He knew it hurt. And he knew Seol-a had already learned her lesson. And he knew that she rather needed mental support at the moment. But he's the type of guy who believes that people learn through hardships only. So even though he had good intentions in teaching Seol-a a lesson, he intentionally hurt her in a situation where it really was unnecessary. And she can't just stop talking to him even if she wanted to because there's also family business and relationship involved.
Teasing is what Seol-a's brothers are doing to her. That's teasing.

Just cause two people are in love with one person, does not mean one of them is an ass-hole. And just cause he got rejected does not mean he will automaticly stop liking her. Feelings will linger for quiet a while and it's not like he over stepped any lines since rejection.

Well, I haven't actually said anything that would contradict these statements of yours. Ji-hwan is NOT an ass-hole because he creates a love triangle. Ji-hwan is an ass-hole because of his mocking personality - read above. And precisely because he will not automatically stop liking No-rae, I still consider him a potential threat in the future. It's not 100%, it's less. But it's still a threat.

I can't really call that a promise, I have 100s of promises like that. They never ever pop up again.

You can't, I can. So what? We have different experiences with meeting different people IRL. An important trigger for me in chapter 7 was Ji-hwan's mentioning that he learned Seol-a's weakness. This exposes a plot device for a possible manipulation. This characterizes Ji-hwan as a sneaky, manipulative character, which reduces my trust in him.

And from personal preference I would much rather avoid another "bad" male character. It's way too cliche and unnatural. There are 3 things that always ruined yuri manga/shows for me.
1) Everyone is gay
2) Just sex and fanservice
3) All men are evil

So far Fluttering Feelings avoided first 2, no need to include the 3rd one either.

It's up to the author actually how to continue with that. I'd very much prefer to avoid all three points myself. That said, nobody stops Ssamba from introducing more male characters that do not fit the above-mentioned pattern if the brothers (Seol-a's and No-rae's) are still not enough.

Hey, halmoni, I really appreciate and cherish your work as a translator, but you're playing dirty here. Since I'm the one who labelled Ji-hwan as the "antagonist" in this thread, you make everyone believe with that statement of yours that I'm the one who did so because Ji-hwan's a male. And this is a false accusation, because the reality is, I couldn't care less if Ji-hwan's a male, a female, a wild animal, a robot, or an alien in a form of a human interface created by the data overmind. Really. I enjoy reading good het romance just as much as I do so with yuri or yaoi or whatever other kind of romance. As long as it's good romance.
But the reason why Ji-hwan behaves antagonistic to Seol-a is because
a) he mocks her thus creating mental challenges and obstacles for her
b) he's regardless of his gender a love threat to the main couple
That fact that the couple is unconscious about it does not matter at all because an antagonist is a plot device to create drama for us, readers. And in fact I recommend you to refresh your memory and reread the chapters ~10-15 or so to recall how Seol-a caught herself disturbed by Ji-hwan x No-rae close friendship. Yes the uncertainty came from Seol-a's past experience with girlfriends but at the end of the day, in present, everything directly or indirectly pointed to Ji-hwan as the source of her irritation.

Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo were set up to serve as foils for Seol-a and No-rae respectively. They both interact with the girls and attempt to become involved romantically, but in the end they both fail because they're lacking something (i.e. Kyung-woo lacked No-rae's honest, sincere, and pure attitude; Ji-hwan lacked Seol-a's patience as well as an understanding of No-rae's definition of "love" and thus he tells Seol-a that she needs to change her views on dating wooow best antagonist ever).

And that is precisely what made Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo antagonists. Villains? No. Archenemies. No. Antagonists? Yes.

Exactly! That is exactly why Yu-ji is an antagonist too. You're absolutely right here.

Well, you already are 5000% positive to false accuse people in something they've never said and never meant. I understand I may be in the minority with such an opinion, but I don't care if Ji-hwan is male or not. His antagonism in my opinion comes from his manipulative personality and him being the "obstacles" origin for Seol-a when it comes to No-rae.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Takachi, i really like your analysis throughout the discussion. However I gotta say I quite disagreed on your negative analysis of Jihwan's personality. Yes, you could say he's an antagonist since he's playing an "obstacle" role between Seola and Norae. But to say his personality negatively affected Seola was too off. Seola and Jihwan are quite similar in their playful personality due to the fact they had very similar profiles (attractive, smart, coming from wealthy families, being the center of attention since younger). Jihwan's teasing Seola is no difference from Seola's bitching her brother. In the end they know their words are just for the heat on the surface at the moment, and in no way would badly taken by the other party. I gotta admit sarcasm is always fun between close friends, where no ill intentions were assumed.

joined Mar 28, 2014

Takachi, i really like your analysis throughout the discussion. However I gotta say I quite disagreed on your negative analysis of Jihwan's personality. Yes, you could say he's an antagonist since he's playing an "obstacle" role between Seola and Norae. But to say his personality negatively affected Seola was too off. Seola and Jihwan are quite similar in their playful personality due to the fact they had very similar profiles (attractive, smart, coming from wealthy families, being the center of attention since younger). Jihwan's teasing Seola is no difference from Seola's bitching her brother. In the end they know their words are just for the heat on the surface at the moment, and in no way would badly taken by the other party. I gotta admit sarcasm is always fun between close friends, where no ill intentions were assumed.

ieeheh, of course I may be wrong with reading Ji-hwan's personality, and that's totally fine. That was in the end the reason why I asked if I was the only one who sees him in the negative light as much as I do. I guess I am, but that's OK. I do see a big personality gap between Ji-hwan and Seol-a despite the similarities you mentioned. Just like I see a huge difference in the relationships between Seol-a and her siblings and Seol-a and Ji-hwan. But I think I've written enough to explain my point. The time and Ssamba will tell, of course.

joined Aug 18, 2015

So far I don’t get evil vibes from Ji-Hwan at all. The hug from chapter 45 feels like a goodbye hug even before reading the translation. Letting go of someone is never easy. Ji-Hwan has loved NoRae for so long but obviously he & Norae are not meant for each other as illustrated through his timing 1) taking an interest in Norae while she's with someone 2) comfessing to Norae while she's started fallen in love with Seol-a. As to Seo-la and Ji-Hwan relationship, there's no ill intention/bad blood between the two as far as I can see. To me, their relationship is more like siblings. Ji-Hwan may be viewed as an antagonist bc he's in love with Norae. In my book, he can fall in love with whomever, even to a married gal. After all, we can't control who to fall in love with (maybe someone can, idk). Ofc, it would be ethically wrong if Ji-Hwan pursues someone who is clearly taken. That's my two cents.

last edited at Sep 22, 2015 6:00PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

a) he mocks her thus creating mental challenges and obstacles for her
b) he's regardless of his gender a love threat to the main couple

Yes, but how are those "mental challenges" related to Seol-a's goals in the story as the protagonist? Being an asshole to someone and annoying them doesn't make you an antagonist. That was naturally a part of his personality, and Seol-a knows this. We all know that Ji-hwan cares a lot about Seol-a. He would never hurt her intentionally; like Seol-a has said herself, Ji-hwan is like a brother to her. Being a part of a love triangle doesn't make a character an antagonist either.

When Ji-hwan intervened with his confession, there was no "main couple" to become a threat to. At that point in time (ch.25), neither No-rae nor Seol-a had acknowledged their feelings for each other. No-rae's reason for rejecting Ji-hwan wasn't because she liked Seol-a either, it was because she didn't feel ready for a relationship.

reread the chapters ~10-15 or so to recall how Seol-a caught herself disturbed by Ji-hwan x No-rae

She certainly was disturbed, but not because of romantic concerns. She only realized her feelings for No-rae very recently. According to chapters 10-15, Seol-a was disturbed due to the fact that she was suspicious of whether No-rae was using her to get closer to Ji-hwan or not. She wasn't jealous of No-rae's relationship with Ji-hwan.

everything directly or indirectly pointed to Ji-hwan as the source of her irritation

Once again, irritation =/= actual mental distress. The idea that No-rae could be using Seol-a to get closer to Ji-hwan caused Seol-a much more grief than Ji-hwan himself ever did.

And that is precisely what made Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo antagonists. Villains? No. Archenemies. No. Antagonists? Yes.

Archenemy and villain essentially mean the same thing as antagonist. However the term "foil" is not synonymous with antagonist. Ji-hwan wasn't an antagonist for being a foil, or for confessing to No-rae. You could argue that Kyung-woo was an antagonist during his arc. Kyung-woo was romantically pursuing Seol-a, even going as far as to use dirty methods like getting her completely plastered, but No-rae confronted and stopped him. Throughout his arc (chapters in the early 30's or so), No-rae was aware of her feelings for Seol-a (ch. 27), and so Kyung-woo's actions clearly opposed her goals. He presented a challenge that No-rae felt that she had to overcome. If you compare and contrast Kyung-woo and Ji-hwan's situations, you'll see why it makes sense to say that Kyung-woo is an example of an antagonist, but Ji-hwan is not.

manipulative personality and him being the "obstacles" origin for Seol-a when it comes to No-rae

I honestly don't know where you got the idea that he has some sort of evil, manipulative personality. I can't think of any examples where he tried to use someone to gain something for himself. Like I've said before, when he confessed to No-rae, Seol-a wasn't aware of her feelings, and so she should not have considered him an obstacle. She was still distressed after hearing about his confession due to her underlying feelings, but her situation with Ji-hwan was nothing like No-rae's confrontation with Kyung-woo.

Compare Seol-a's reaction to Ji-hwan's confession to her reaction when she believes that her brother supposedly gets a glimpse of "No-rae" on her phone. Now that she's acknowledged her feelings, her reactions towards others getting close to No-rae are clearly different.

joined Apr 25, 2015

@takachi

I'm guessing you've never met a sarcastic, honest person who does not sugar coat their words. We should meet, I would be your villain number one cause I'm Ji-Hwan in female skin.

The fact that he told her to "change her ways" means this is not the first time something like this happened. Not to such extremes, but some sort of conflicts 100% happened before and not once. Ji-Hwan told her a harsh truth she had to face ages ago. If she would not, next time would not be so lucky.

Telling her "Oh you poor thing" would do Seo-la no good. It will comfort her for five minutes, then she messes up again and dies. Real friends are not scared to tell the truth to people they care about if it will help them in the future to come. What Ji-Hwan told her, was a life saving advice, not some 5 minute worth pity.

If you can't tell a truth to a friend when they are clearly doing something wrong, you are not friends.

Me and my friends bicker all the time, call each other names and so on. One of my friends hates Frozen with passion so I constantly make Frozen related jokes. Guess what? We still hang out together, have fun and laugh. No forcing, he approaches me himself and sometimes replies in kind by mocking me for my shit 3D modelling skills. Are we offended? NOPE! We always have a good laugh together.

There is a big difference between mocking a non sarcastic person and a similar in kind. These two are similar.

It's only hurtful if other person does not understand sarcasm or is not similar in character. These two live on sarcasm, they fully understand each other. That's why they say things they do and still interact with each other and are not offended. Because there was nothing offending in those words.

It might not have been what Seo-la wanted to hear, but it defiantly was what she needed to hear.

@Halmoni

Tell me about it, happens so often -_-

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

These two live on sarcasm, they fully understand each other. That's why they say things they do and still interact with each other and are not offended. Because there was nothing offending in those words.

You said my thoughts better than I do lol. Completely agree.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Also, anyone else enjoying the fact that we have a portrayal of a female-male platonic relationship between Seol-a and Ji-hwan without the unnecessary childhood friend/crush bs that usually plagues romance stories? I know I am.

To reply you must either login or sign up.