Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Sep 4, 2014

I've only read to ch 14 but dang idk what to think. In my opinion what seju did was wrong in the past but it's true to see how dedicated she still is to sumin after all this time. Ehh as much as I like the adorable and innocent little cinnamon bun sunji, think I'm team seju, until proven otherwise with upcoming chapters

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 12:00AM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

What make me worry about Seju is the ring we see on her ring finger in chapter 14 (well, she does have rings on all her finger in this scene but still x)) when I don't remember her wearing any before. The arranged marriage can be brought up too easily with this setting. paranoia

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 8:40PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

Remember to tag your spoilers people!

Remember, I don't know what is a spoiler and what isn't since I don't read the series, so I'm likely to be a lot less careful about what to mark than you would be. Better you do it yourself.

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 8:41PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

Just a friendly reminder:

At the time of writing, the latest chapter out via Overtooning (overlay) is Chapter 5.

http://dynasty-no-kyra.tumblr.com/tagged/release

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 9:00PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I heard the fox was talkin' shit...

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I don't think it matters too much whether Sumin does or does not blame Seju for her parent's death. Simply put, Suju's belief that Sumin blames her is already enough to put a massive strain on their relationship. If you understand how insecurity works then you'd know what I mean. For example, when you are insecure, even if everyone tells you that you are good enough, you won't believe it. No external force, no amount of kind words or reassurances from other people will be enough for you to overcome this insecurity.

The only way for you to overcome insecurity is intrinsically. You have to believe in your heart of hearts that you're good enough. I think this applies to Seju. Even if Sumin tells her that she forgives her, I don't think Seju can forgive herself and still blames herself to this day. This is probably why she doesn't visit Sumin's parents' grave. It's such a potent symbol for her guilt. Granted, this is not a wise decision as Sumin has stated to Sungji that she was thankful for not spending that day alone again.

Also, I think the most important thing you have to remember about Seju at this point in the story is that she is the character out of the main trio that we know the least about. She's been barely given any character development (by that I mean a glimpse into how her mind works) beyond simply being a rich girl who is Sumin's love interest. We she what she did and not really why she did them. That, we can only assume and infer based on contextual clues.

The significance of this is that it's easy to paint Seju in a rather malicious light if you already have certain prejudices about her. For example, if you already support Sungji/Sumin from the start, it's rather easy to see Seju as the spawn of Satan if not the devil himself. Of course, it's a natural instinct to have certain prejudices about someone but it doesn't help that we barely know anything about Seju.

I hope Gaji treats Seju with some dignity and respect and doesn't just make her the 'antagonist' characters designed to make you support Sungji/Sumin even more. That would be bad story telling in my opinion and I'd surely be disappointed in this series if that was the case.

halmoni

idk, I thought the parts where Seju says cheesy stuff like "I just want to see you as much as I can blah blah" weren't said with romantic intentions. The feeling that I got was that it was more of a mocking reminder to Sumin that Seju still controls her life. Or something like that. And that's why Sumin got so pissed off at her.

Like I said, it's hard to tell at this point in time but as dawny pointed out, it's rather unfair to say Seju always has malicious intentions and doesn't care at all about Sumin. For example in chapter 2, we see her worry about Sumin being cold when she tells her that she shouldn't have waited since it's snowing so heavily.

On the topic of the 'I just want to see you as much as I can' scene, I interpreted Sumin's reaction as trying to bury her head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge the facts. I think she just wants to pretend that Seju will always be a constant in her life as a kind of readily-available sex friend and Seju's reminder that she won't always be there shatters that illusion.

On a final note about how Seju treated Sumin during her depression I think she could've handled it better but the 'hey get over it already' remark was kinda the last resort because Sumin was throwing her life-plans out of the window.

Sumin is right in saying that it's not a life or death situation whether or not she studies abroad but her frivolous attitude at the time was really worrying. She was obvious neglecting many things during that period in her life. Her health, her relationship with Seju (shutting her out instead of letting her in) and she was also neglecting her own future plans. The future-plan the she had with Seju.

As a friend, a lover I think that would greatly concern Seju and she was willing to do anything at that point to pull Sumin out of her depression. She's tried being supportive and understanding and that didn't work. Now she's ill-advisedly tried to switch tactics by dosing out some tough words but that back-fired on her. It's not ideal but I think I understand where she was coming from

Wow that was a long analysis. Reminds of of when I had to write essays in EngLit

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 12:02AM

joined Jan 17, 2014

Lol chapter ( not ) 2 made me laugh for some reason XD
Lololol trolling was funny

Korrasami
joined Dec 14, 2014

I really like Seju as a character if you can't tell from my display picture and I hate it when people degrade her by calling her a hoe just because of chapter 11. I've read all the translations until chapter 16 and it hasn't been concluded why she slept with the bartender. For all we know she could've been tricked into it and whatnot seeing as she's not into men, and the fact that she was under the influence and lonely as she thinks Sumin blames her for the death of her parents plus not getting any action for a month is recipe for disaster (not condemning cheating if someone doesn't get any action, just pointing out Seju's circumstances)

Ok that's the answer to the question I really wanted to know. Her parents did die. Frankly to me if anyone is a hoe its Sumin and Seju isn't the only one who cheated. They both did so they're even (to me).

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 12:02AM

1235007_738839982828953_4916521183661080120_n
joined Dec 4, 2014

Someone know halmoni blog "link" ? i want to thx her personnaly if she doesn't have one then "thank you" here :p

joined Jan 31, 2015

OverdiseaZ:

Someone know halmoni blog "link" ? i want to thx her personnaly if she doesn't have one then "thank you" here :p

http://halmoniswag.tumblr.com/

Click "Message" on the left to send her an "ask". Or go to here.

Français?

kyra:

[rest of essay]
For example, if you already support Sungji/Seju from the start, it's rather easy to see Seju as the spawn of Satan if not the devil himself.
[rest of essay]

◴_◶

last edited at Jul 5, 2015 1:40AM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Ok that's the answer to the question I really wanted to know. Her parents did die. Frankly to me if anyone is a hoe its Sumin and Seju isn't the only one who cheated. They both did so they're even (to me).

Well, technically, Sumin didn't cheat on Seju assuming that they both broke up after the one-night stand with the bartender. From what I infer, they stayed together as friends with benefits/ sex friends, meaning they are NOT in a relationship and that they can sleep with whomever they wanted. Why I'm rooting for Seju is because she's really devoted to Sumin. During the 10 years after the death of Sumin's parents Seju never slept with anyone else (confirmed by the author) while Sumin had relations with other women.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 12:03AM

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

anonymous

itz gone! you never saw it! it never existed. was that a classic freudian slip? i mean i've joked about that 'crack' pairing a lot so maybe i've started to believe it.

joined Jun 29, 2015

kyra

Sumin is hard to approach, I think the fact that Sumin's life was dominated by Seju's presence is not because Seju is controlling or anything but because Sumin doesn't see the point of letting anyone else in on her life. You see this in future chapters, e.g. the most recent one.

The fact that Seju knows details about Sumin's life is not because she's controlling or stalkerish but rather because Sumin tells her. For example in chapter 14 or 15, she tells Seju that she broke up with someone that she'd thought was 'the one'. From my understanding, I think Sumin is the one that keeps on coming back to Seju and not the other way around.

As I mentioned before the reason why sumin can never leave seju is because her relationship with seju totally shut her off from the outside world (chapter 16, blue's description), she might never have a chance or need to be independent and after the accident, constantly got hurt due to this kind of emotional disability. That's another reason I feel pathetic for sumin, she has no help to seek but the very cause of her own sufferings, even she wants to move on, as long as she doesn't meet the right person who will love her genuinely and be patient enough to support her, she will still end up with "going back to seju".

And I still strongly feel seju are trying to control, There are a lot of signs (chapter 4, it's seju who prying the private life of sumin, chapter 9, after sumin told her she came out to sungji, seju suddenly became a little anxious and want to confirm immediately whether she likes sungji or not;==chapter 15, blue was forbidden to enter the company freely by seju even she knows blue is the only friend of sumin; The most convincing one: chapter 14, she slyly tricked sungji to get the information she wants which in chapter 13 sumin don't want her to know==, :( I would be really upset if someone doing so behind my back whoever she/he is).

I doubt sumin will tell her those trivia voluntarily, as far as I can see, sumin would only talk to seju if she is emotionally frustrated. Even in chapter 9, she do tell seju the come out thing, from my point of view, it's just because sumin had a strong desire to talk about sungji at that time.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:25AM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

She brought a scarf for Sumin when she picked her up to drive her to school. She makes sure Sumin has her meals.

I personally think those sort of actions sound like something any sugar daddy would do for his plaything. I don't think they necessarily prove her "love" for Sumin. While we don't know too much about Seju's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if these were just tactics (including her devotion) that she used to control Sumin. Why find another person when you know your slave will come back to you, time and time again?

Also, the whole "devoted knight waiting for her soulmate in shining armor" scenario doesn't click with me because Seju is constantly asking Sumin about potential love interests, and she's always smirking when they talk about Sungji. She WANTS Sumin to get with Sungji. Where's the "devotion" in that?

And if you take into consideration how the all-dependent Sumin suddenly became cold and shrugs off Seju's concern during the period after her parents' death, I can't blame Seju for exploding out her frustrations. Look at how Sumin pushed Seju's hand away when she tried to hug her. And based on the fact that Sumin looked like she hit some kind of realization after Seju questioned her if she blamed her for her parents' death, I do believe Sumin did push some blame on Seju.

I think she could've handled it better but the 'hey get over it already' remark was kinda the last resort because Sumin was throwing her life-plans out of the window.

But isn't that a natural reaction? Everyone reacts differently to loss, and Sumin happened to react this way. It's nothing out of the ordinary. Priorities are priorities, but you can't really blame someone for wanting to shut themselves in after losing their parents. Sumin was only 24 after all. I empathize a lot with Sumin, because I know I would've reacted the same way. In my opinion, the mental trauma that Seju caused Sumin was a lot worse than whatever guilt Seju felt for indirectly causing the death of Sumin's parents. Seju's impertinence and lack of understanding for Sumin were her own undoing, so I found it difficult to have any sympathy for her.

If someone is in a state of depression, it's not your job to try and pull them out of depression with all of your might. It's your job (as a family member/friend/significant other) to listen to them, and to give them whatever they need, whether it's space, care, etc. So I understand that Seju had good intentions, but she really set up a recipe for disaster all on her own.

This is probably why she doesn't visit Sumin's parents' grave. It's such a potent symbol for her guilt.

Most people probably wouldn't bother to visit the graves of others' deceased family members lol. Rather than guilt, Seju is most likely the last person Sumin wants standing in front of her parents' graves.

For example in chapter 2, we see her worry about Sumin being cold when she tells her that she shouldn't have waited since it's snowing so heavily.

It was actually Sumin who was concerned about Seju being too cold while waiting for her.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:26AM

joined Jun 29, 2015

kyra

Like I said, it's hard to tell at this point in time but as dawny pointed out, it's rather unfair to say Seju always has malicious intentions and doesn't care at all about Sumin. For example in chapter 2, we see her worry about Sumin being cold when she tells her that she shouldn't have waited since it's snowing so heavily.

Agree, I too, can feel her caring and devotion to sumin, only I don't think her love is selfless (and yes who says it has to be! lol ) . Don't forget seju is a scorpion and you are right she just wants to have Sumin in her life, It's not a guilt.

Sumin is right in saying that it's not a life or death situation whether or not she studies abroad but her frivolous attitude at the time was really worrying. She was obvious neglecting many things during that period in her life. Her health, her relationship with Seju (shutting her out instead of letting her in) and she was also neglecting her own future plans. The future-plan the she had with Seju.

One month is too short for someone who lost her family and suddenly became all alone in the world to recover. In my point of view, the characters have different personality, readers should understand them on the character's behalf, not on our own. Sumin is the only child, never seperated from her mother (chapter 10), she is a cancer, for whom family love is the most important thing in their life, and most of all, She might be somehow spoiled by her family and seju and don't know how to control her emotion. How could one count on such a girl to be strong and reasonable. If I were in that kind of situation, I would definitely postpone the plan for one year.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:27AM

mikasamikasa77
Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

I'd have to agree with clairesun. From the way I saw it, Seju treated Sumin like she just another one of her possessions. In the past, it always seemed like Sumin was a lot more lovestruck than Seju (e.g. when Sumin blushes and asks "Are you nervous?" while they have sex, Seju simply replies with something like "A little bit"). While I don't think people who cheat once deserve the death penalty, the time at which Seju cheated is a very important factor to consider. At that moment, Seju was all Sumin had left in this world; her parents were gone, she was an only child, and Seju was her only real connection left. Sumin was completely ready to apologize to Seju for her immaturity, and she even went to go buy some flowers for her. But right as she stepped into the apartment, the first thing she saw was the only person that mattered in her life with someone else. Could you imagine how devastated she was? It was only after this incident that Sumin started going out with several different people, trying to find a replacement for Seju. And that's where Sungji comes in huehuehue #teamcinnamonroll

also omg real discussion I'm crying tears of joy

Yes,
I can finally read about the story and characters , thanks...

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:28AM

Bsj04(1)
joined Jun 1, 2014

As I mentioned before the reason why sumin can never leave seju is because her relationship with seju totally shut her off from the outside world (chapter 16, blue's description), she might never have a chance or need to be independent and after the accident, constantly got hurt due to this kind of emotional disability. That's another reason I feel pathetic for sumin, she has no help to seek but the very cause of her own sufferings, even she wants to move on, as long as she doesn't meet the right person who will love her genuinely and be patient enough to support her, she will still end with "going back to seju".

This argument doesn't make sense. Sumin has a phone and does have the freedom contact Nami (blue). Sumin also has freedom to have girlfriends and other one-night stands. How is that isolating Sumin from the outside world? Nami was talking about the past when Sumin was too dependent on Seju. But now, no.
Sumin couldn't find someone who is genuinely in love with her, so she goes back to Seju. This doesn't necessarily mean Seju has to take the blame that she is controlling Sumin. It could mean Sumin still finds Seju as her place of refuge. I could even say that Sumin is too hesitant to make a decision to break off and is pulling Seju in with her because Seju loves Sumin enough not to let her go if Sumin is still struggling.

And I still strongly feel seju are trying to control, There are a lot of signs (chapter 4, it's seju who pry the private life of sumin, The most convincing one: chapter 14, she slyly tricked sungji to get the information she wants which in chapter 13 sumin don't want her to know, :( I would be really upset if someone doing so behind my back whoever she/he is).

Seju is just trying to find out some information. She is probably not the type who likes to keep questions unanswered. I don't see anything fatal in that. It is not like Seju is trying to find out some bank account number to steal money. And Seju is not stupid. Forbidding Nami to enter the company doesn't mean forbidding Sumin to keep in contact with Nami. Seju wants to confirm if Sumin likes Sungji or not... isn't that a sign that Seju likes Sumin? Why does it all have to be related to controlling?

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:29AM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

isn't that a sign that Sju likes Sumin? Why does it all have to be related to controlling?

Then why is Seju constantly pushing Sumin to be with Sungji (or anyone else for that matter)? What's her motive? Why did she smirk when Sumin admitted that Sungji is her type? I find it hard to believe that Seju is completely innocent.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:30AM

Bsj04(1)
joined Jun 1, 2014

Then why is Seju constantly pushing Sumin to be with Sungji (or anyone else for that matter)? What's her motive? Why did she smirk when Sumin admitted that Sungji is her type? I find it hard to believe that Seju is completely innocent.

I could throw back a similar question to you. If Seju wants to control Sumin, why is she constantly pushing Sumin to be with Sungji? Because she doesn't like to be sugar daddy anymore? I am not clever, but this move is stupid to me if Seju wants to continue controlling Sumin. This issue is a mystery by itself. The question why Seju wants Sungji to take care of Sumin has nothing to do with Seju controlling Sumin or not.

And I never intended to say Seju is innocent. She is probably making some plans that has nothing to do with Seju being a monster.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 3:31AM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I don't understand how people could deduce that Seju is controlling based on a few of her actions like chapter 14 where Seju supposedly "tricked" Sungji into revealing that she was the friend over at Sumin's when all she did was state something so obvious. It's more like Sungji is extremely gullible (or naïve as Seju put it) for answering Seju's inexplicit question without Seju even asking her.

In chapter 9, It's obvious that since Seju likes Sumin, she would be curious whether Sumin has found another love interest in Sungji so she asked her straight to the point whether Sumin likes her or not. Since Sumin herself opens up to Seju about her past relationships, I guess it's not out of place for Seju to ask Sumin about her feelings for Sungji.

She brought a scarf for Sumin when she picked her up to drive her to school. She makes sure Sumin has her meals.

I personally think those sort of actions sound like something any sugar daddy would do for his plaything. I don't think they necessarily prove her "love" for Sumin.

Interesting, so if caring for someone's well-being is considered being a sugar daddy, then I don't know how a normal person in love should be acting towards their significant other or how else they would prove their love.

The only thing I cannot comprehend yet is why Seju is trying to or seems to be trying to push Sumin and Sungji together. This is the only part that I feel that she may be scheming something. But other than that, she seems like a decent person.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 4:29AM

joined May 19, 2014

And lol at the person who brought up Zodiac signs. That was a good one!

joined Jun 29, 2015

This argument doesn't make sense. Sumin has a phone and does have the freedom contact Nami (blue). Sumin also has freedom to have girlfriends and other one-night stands. How is that isolating Sumin from the outside world? Nami was talking about the past when Sumin was too dependent on Seju. But now, no.

Don't take me wrong, when I say their relationship I mean the relationship before the accident, I never refer it to the current situation. In chapter16, blue told sungji, at that time sumin was always stick with seju (I'm not sure if there is a meaning of only here) and even she was not that familiar with sumin, furthermore if u take a look at sumin's life, do u see anyone else, like friend? Do u think it's normal?
I never imply it's seju who did this intentionally. It's the status of that kind of relationship which would necessarily lead to that result.

Sumin couldn't find someone who is genuinely in love with her, so she goes back to Seju. This doesn't necessarily mean Seju has to take the blame that she is controlling Sumin. It could mean Sumin still finds Seju as her place of refuge. I could even say that Sumin is too hesitant to make a decision to break off and is pulling Seju in with her because Seju loves Sumin enough not to let her go if Sumin is still struggling.

Again, I'M NOT BLAMING SEJU.
It's a refuge, because sumin has no other choice (the reason described in the text above), and the refuge is somehow negative, the last straw she can hold is the one which would repeatedly remind her of her pain.

Seju is just trying to find out some information. She is probably not the type who likes to keep questions unanswered. I don't see anything fatal in that. It is not like Seju is trying to find out some bank account number to steal money. And Seju is not stupid. Forbidding Nami to enter the company doesn't mean forbidding Sumin to keep in contact with Nami. Seju wants to confirm if Sumin likes Sungji or not... isn't that a sign that Sju likes Sumin? Why does it all have to be related to controlling?

Isn't that question so that important to seju, if she hasn't any intention to control, why she must know that after sumin refuse to tell her? No, it's not fatal, it's just annoying for lovers or even friends and I don't see any respect here.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 8:12AM

joined May 19, 2014

^I think the only reason Sumin doesn't have a lot of friends is because she's not a people person. She's kinda like a lone wolf. I think she's actually capable of having lots of connections if she wanted as from the chapter where she seduced red-haired girl, she's quite a cunning person

joined Jun 29, 2015

I could throw back a similar question to you. If Seju wants to control Sumin, why is she constantly pushing Sumin to be with Sungji?

Bang, that's exactly another kind of control, if I know someone arranged this for me, I would really feel offended, even whom I love was in your plan, are u kidding me?

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 6:34AM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

I could throw back a similar question to you. If Seju wants to control Sumin, why is she constantly pushing Sumin to be with Sungji? Because she doesn't like to be sugar daddy anymore? I am not clever, but this move is stupid to me if Seju wants to continue controlling Sumin. This issue is a mystery by itself. The question why Seju wants Sungji to take care of Sumin has nothing to do with Seju controlling Sumin or not.

I'm not the author so this is all just based on my assumptions, but I'm guessing she's pushing them to be together in order to have a tighter reign on Sumin's leash. We've seen it happen for the past 10 years. Sumin finds someone new, but it never works out and she goes crawling right back to Seju. This allows Seju to assert her dominance over Sumin and it drives the idea that the only person on this planet who can truly have Sumin is Seju. Because clearly, no one else wants her right? Isn't it strange that for the past 10 years, Sumin was never able to find another long-term partner? The trauma she suffered from Seju was certainly damaging, but I think it's strange.

Bang, that's exactly another kind of control, if I know someone arranged this for me, I would feel really offended, even whom I love was in your plan, are u kidding me?

^Exactly.

In chapter 9, It's obvious that since Seju likes Sumin, she would be curious whether Sumin has found another love interest in Sungji so she asked her straight to the point whether Sumin likes her or not. Since Sumin herself opens up to Seju about her past relationships, I guess it's not out of place for Seju to ask Sumin about her feelings for Sungji.

Yes, but what was that smirk for at the end? In that scene, Seju openly mocks Sumin (e.g. "Did that hurt your pride?"). What exactly about that scene says "Seju likes Sumin, so she's casually asking her if she likes Sungji"? Because all I got was that Sumin hates Seju's guts, and that Seju can be demeaning as hell. And if she does like Sumin, why is she pushing them to be together? None of it makes sense if you try to put Seju in an innocent light. They were having a subtle passive-aggressive argument, not opening up to each other.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 6:33AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.