Forum › Stretch discussion

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Anyway, In this chapter they really look more like a married couple with Ran as the husband, I mean look at how comfortable they are with each other! And I feel really bad for the roach. Ran beat it up real good....

That was a bad roach, it scared Keiko. As a good knight in shining armor, Ran had to fight destroy the evil creature to protect her princess

last edited at Jun 4, 2015 2:53PM

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

If I wasn't so aware of just how extreme some Japanese women can be with their skinship, I'd be demanding a yuri tag right about now after having read it all in one sitting.

Also, when the hell are we gonna find out more about Keiko's relationship to her mother? D: I feel like a middle-aged housewife who's being deprived of her soap operas!

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

^bahahaha XD

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

I wish it was more obvious why Ran was angry...

But, \there was no way she was reading/enjoying the book. She 1) hit the cockroach with the thing and 2) proceeded to decimate it and all its guts with said book. Regardless of how anyone views cockroaches, you don't get guts all over something you love.

Like, how's she suppose to finish reading it now? It's not like guts come off of paper cleanly...

last edited at Jun 4, 2015 9:22PM

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

But, \there was no way she was reading/enjoying the book. She 1) hit the cockroach with the thing and 2) proceeded to decimate it and all its guts with said book. Regardless of how anyone views cockroaches, you don't get guts all over something you love.

Like, how's she suppose to finish reading it now? It's not like guts comes off of paper cleanly...

I may be wrong, but to me seems that she grabbed another thing to bash the roach with. Seems to be a magazine or paper. Bigger than the book and with a white cover instead of a darker one.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Also, when the hell are we gonna find out more about Keiko's relationship to her mother? D: I feel like a middle-aged housewife who's being deprived of her soap operas!

That's my feeling too. The story at the moment, stalls in the slice-of-life of a married couple.

Japanese_eraser_cow_purple_large
joined Nov 5, 2011

so is everyone okay with the fact that this will never become a yuri manga? i understand that there are non yuri manga on this site too but still..

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Who knows. Shou certainly knows how to write yuri, but after 4 volumes, there's no romance in sight, whether it's het or not.

Still there's unresolved issues that he touches from time to time like Keiko's nightmares, her relationship with her mother, Ran's obvious attraction to Keiko (remember how she made soba, that her mother said she should do for her "special someone", or the honmei choco..), etc..

Considering the success of Stretch on the BGS site, I don't think Shou is in any hurry to make a conclusion. The start of a romantic relationship between Ran and Keiko would look like a End Flag.

Still I think they are aware that the popularity will fade if nothing happens, so I still hold some hope.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

so is everyone okay with the fact that this will never become a yuri manga? i understand that there are non yuri manga on this site too but still..

I think most are aware, tho some would love to see it go yuri (naturally progress into it and not suddenly go "this is now a full-blown yuri manga" in a single chapter), others prefer things as they are, and/or some are just in for the good ride. Strength of the manga is the characters interactions in their daily lives and the slice of life drama and jokes, and ofc the most important part of it all: Stretching.

Just hoping this concludes someday before it turns into "oh, that manga is still going on?" case.

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 5:06AM

Mono_a_2kmc
joined Jul 1, 2014

Haha. XD Great chapter. :)

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

To the translation: Why aren' t honorifics kept? You also use Senpai for when Ran calls Keiko

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Like, how's she suppose to finish reading it now? It's not like guts come off of paper cleanly...

Drunkies can get pretty obnoxious you know, speaking from experience, so she decided to not give her the time of day...well night

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm not sure Keiko is drunk. Probably just excited to please Ran with the sushi.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Well, those little bubbles were my indicator, could be wrong I guess

lol, the slight blush when keiko runs face on rans bossom

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

I'm not sure Keiko is drunk. Probably just excited to please Ran with the sushi.

Dunno, between the blushed cheeks and the bubbles it give me the strong impression that Keiko is drunk.
Sure, she's missing the tie in the head as an headband but still...

Hyewon%20blush-1%2041
joined Dec 15, 2013

Oh that is actually rather illuminating for me in that i get the meaning of "Ran-sama" in that context better than "Miss Ran". The former accentuates Keiko's fangirl mode, haha.

Same for "Ran-chaaan" - it now gives me the sense that Keiko was being clingy/attention-seeking, rather than a "heeeey baby" vibe.

"Sama" is the more formal and politer version of "san", and it is used to address a person with a higher status and when you need to be very polite. "San" is similar to "Mr, Mrs,and Ms" in English and is often translated to that, but there's no similar way to address "sama" in english. Translating honorifics is pretty difficult since it is not the same in every language, what translators can do is to find the one with the closest meaning to the language they are translating it to, or sometimes not translate it at all if they can't find anything close to its meaning. That is why most of the times it does not really deliver the meaning, nuance or feeling of a particular word that well (if my sentence makes any sense). So, you're not wrong if you get the meaning "Ran-sama" in that context better than "Miss-Ran".Sorry for the long post. Do correct me if I'm wrong >.<...

Well, what i actually meant was, I would have understood the context better if it was left as "Ran-sama" instead of translating it to English. It's precisely for the reasons you mentioned above - that there isn't a really good way to translate the meaning of "-sama" to English. Having read/watched lots of manga and anime, i would have gotten "Ran-sama" immediately, though i do also understand that the translator(s) might have been trying to cater to a wider audience that might not be that familiar with the honorifics and what they mean in certain contexts.

Ai,yo
joined Dec 24, 2014

The chapter starts:

Ran-chaaan!

The chapter ends:

Ran-sama~

Can't not like how it escalated.
(Holy loli, now I've discovered some useful shit. So that's how you make fonts bigger.)

Oh and how unusual is it to see them reverse their boke - tsukkomi roles. While Ran is usually your everyday ENFP being like a grown version of Toshinou Kyouko, to see her on a serious/focused side is a breath of fresh air. And to think of it ENFPs really are clever folks, often disguising their intelligence by the outer goofiness.
And honestly, that's some unexpected side of senpai. That is, I'd never thought she's the one to be scared of bugs and the likes of them. I mean, it's generally strange how people have a problem with roaches, I personally don't give a single shit about this creature, even when it's traveling across my own desk.

And Cake,

not being on meganekko team

Fuzakenna, omae~

last edited at Jun 7, 2015 5:31PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

And honestly, that's some unexpected side of senpai. That is, I'd never thought she's the one to be scared of bugs and the likes of them. I mean, it's generally strange how people have a problem with roaches, I personally don't give a single shit about this creature, even when it's traveling across my own desk.

I personally think it was to be expected. When you think about it, Ran is the rational one of the pair while Keiko is like often overwhelmed by her fears

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

I may be wrong, but to me seems that she grabbed another thing to bash the roach with. Seems to be a magazine or paper. Bigger than the book and with a white cover instead of a darker one.

Oh crap, you're right...it does look completely different. -altho I'm still hoping it was the same book-

Plus, there didn't seem to be any roll-able thing in the vicinity of Ran at the time...the other books were hard cover, and she was standing...where in the world did she get the reflexes to instinctively grab something else

last edited at Jun 7, 2015 7:15PM

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Oh crap, you're right...it does look completely different. -altho I'm still hoping it was the same book-

Plus, there didn't seem to be any roll-able thing in the vicinity of Ran at the time...the other books were hard cover, and she was standing...where in the world did she get the reflexes to instinctively grab something else

We're talking about Ran, the might roach slayer, capable of slapping a roach in flight, of course that with her keen senses she was able to find a suitable weapon and get it in mere seconds!! That's the greatness of our Ran-sama!!

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Confrontation time

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Ah! Something is happening, at last.

last edited at Jun 17, 2015 1:32PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Well heart attack time.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Niiiiiiiice!!

To reply you must either login or sign up.