Forum › That's Not What I Wanted to Grow Bigger!! discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I find it funny how some people freak out because of a pseudo-penis, but fail to note that it's incest rape too. This site never disappoints.

Anyway, I actually found this one funny and entertaining on some level. At least, there was no bucketloads of semen coming from nowhere, like in most futa. And the reversal in the end was a good punchline.

last edited at Apr 29, 2016 1:55PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Orenji-kun, if you're reading this: when splitting words, the hyphen should be before the line break, not after.
"Dynasty-
Scans"
not
"Dynasty
-Scans"

you learn something new every day, thanks ^^

and wow, I never expected this work to spark such a roller coaster of a comment section, you've gotta love this site lmao

Idk how to explain it but a lot of the words were randomly split
Isn't there a rule like, when you split words, to do so between syllables?
"Does-n't", "matt-er", "brea-sts", "compl-eted", "sme-lls"
It all looks really weird to me. In the case of "smells fishy to me" in page 3, and other cases like that, maybe reduce the font size?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Orenji-kun, if you're reading this: when splitting words, the hyphen should be before the line break, not after.
"Dynasty-
Scans"
not
"Dynasty
-Scans"

and wow, I never expected this work to spark such a roller coaster of a comment section, you've gotta love this site lmao

It all looks really weird to me. In the case of "smells fishy to me" in page 3, and other cases like that, maybe reduce the font size?

Those aren't syllable breaks, though. "Doesn't" for instance is a contraction, so the "n't" isn't considered a separate syllable. "Smells" is a single syllable, as is "breasts". The division in "completed" is after the "m", not the "l". So all those are wrong.

The rule generally is to split words at the syllable, though. But I'm sure there are exceptions, it's English after all.

joined Sep 21, 2014

"Dynasty-
Scans"
not
"Dynasty
-Scans"

Those aren't syllable breaks, though. "Doesn't" for instance is a contraction, so the "n't" isn't considered a separate syllable. "Smells" is a single syllable, as is "breasts". The division in "completed" is after the "m", not the "l". So all those are wrong.

The rule generally is to split words at the syllable, though. But I'm sure there are exceptions, it's English after all.

Aya, I was quoting the weird word breaks in the 3 first pages :<

last edited at Apr 29, 2016 2:35PM

Orenji-kun Uploader
Pretty_ranger_icon
Yuri-Bot Scans
joined Feb 17, 2016

"Dynasty-
Scans"
not
"Dynasty
-Scans"

Hmm, I was trying to stick with font sizing similar to the original text, but I guess I took it too far, huh? Japanese is especially tricky with that because a few kanji can mean a whole lot of text in English or just kana can mean very little. Not to mention how tough it is picking the shortest words possible while keeping the same connotations just to fit it all into those vertical speech bubbles... >.>

I'll try to tone down the improper hyphenations and shrink the text a bit more next time. Thanks for the feedback ^^

joined Sep 21, 2014

I'm cringing super hard rn. I seem like a fucking idiot because Nezchan misunderstood :/
When I quoted "smells", I meant it as in it was only one syllable, so it can't and shouldn't be split, so the only way to change that is to reduce the font size

last edited at Apr 29, 2016 2:39PM

Orenji-kun Uploader
Pretty_ranger_icon
Yuri-Bot Scans
joined Feb 17, 2016

I'm cringing super hard rn. I seem like a fucking idiot because Nezchan misunderstood :/
When I quoted "smells", I meant it as in it was only one syllable, so it can't and shouldn't be split, so the only way to change that is to reduce the font size

lol, don't worry about it, I got the message. Besides, I don't use a proofreader, since I'm already a native english speaker, so I can use all the feedback I can get

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

My mistake entirely, don't worry about it.

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

Well, there's nuance here. Contractions such as "aren't" and "weren't" don't add a syllable, but some contractions do, such as "shouldn't" and "wouldn't". A simple test to see how many syllables are in a word is to put your hand on the bottom of your jaw and count how many times your jaw pushes your hand down. In this case, the jaw moves twice, so "doesn't" has two syllables.

This is a pretty good guide to correct hyphenation. The biggest problem is there are no definite rules for breaking a monosyllabic word, which you sometimes have to do in scanlation. I try to go by the method of putting the break between the nucleus and coda (vowel and ending consonant(s)), but in practice, it's really about whatever fits...

From the examples above, it would be hyphenated as such:
does-n't, mat-ter, brea-sts (though you can put the hyphen anywhere in practice), com-plet-ed (though recommended to only use the one between the m and p), sme-lls (again, you can put it anywhere)

joined Oct 12, 2013

No you don't, it's fine.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, there's nuance here. Contractions such as "aren't" and "weren't" don't add a syllable, but some contractions do, such as "shouldn't" and "wouldn't". A simple test to see how many syllables are in a word is to put your hand on the bottom of your jaw and count how many times your jaw pushes your hand down. In this case, the jaw moves twice, so "doesn't" has two syllables.

Wouldn't it still be wrong to have "shouldn't" or "wouldn't" break across a line, even though it's pronounced with two syllables?

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
joined Oct 11, 2010

Wouldn't it still be wrong to have "shouldn't" or "wouldn't" break across a line, even though it's pronounced with two syllables?

It's awkward, sure... but probably the best call. You'll probably hear English professionals say that you shouldn't break contractions at all and instead break "shouldn't" as "should not". These are the same people who will say you should never use "!?" and rewrite sentences so that cases like that never happen, i.e., written English isn't allowed to mirror spoken English.

I guess my take on it is, in formal writing I wouldn't break contractions (though, in formal writing, you're no supposed to contract at all...); however, scanlation is about reflecting how people actually speak, so if it means some awkward uses of punctuation, so be it. If the word "doesn't" needs to be broken somewhere, between the s and n is the best spot.

Korrasami
joined Dec 14, 2014

Yep page 5 and it was definitely a what the fuck am I reading? Haha

last edited at May 1, 2016 5:44AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's awkward, sure... but probably the best call. You'll probably hear English professionals say that you shouldn't break contractions at all and instead break "shouldn't" as "should not". These are the same people who will say you should never use "!?" and rewrite sentences so that cases like that never happen, i.e., written English isn't allowed to mirror spoken English.

I guess my take on it is, in formal writing I wouldn't break contractions (though, in formal writing, you're no supposed to contract at all...); however, scanlation is about reflecting how people actually speak, so if it means some awkward uses of punctuation, so be it. If the word "doesn't" needs to be broken somewhere, between the s and n is the best spot.

My position on the matter is the same as the art school advice I'd received. "If it looks wrong, it's wrong." And oh boy does having a line start with "n't" look wrong!

And "!?" is totally valid punctuation, it's called an interrobang. Although I'd personally only use it in dialogue.

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

When I thought I've seen everything...

Profile160x160
joined Nov 20, 2014

I dunno, I thought it was kinda good. Y'know, for shameless pseudo-futa smut manga. I giggle at it more than I get off to it, but I'm not even sure if the latter was ever an intention.

All in all it gets an upvote and a favour, well played.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

It was acceptable at the first half, later when they start saying "OMG I LOVE YOUR PUSSY, MY CLIT FEELS SO GOOD OMG LOL"-and shit like that, I start hating hentai...

joined Oct 11, 2010

My position on the matter is the same as the art school advice I'd received. "If it looks wrong, it's wrong." And oh boy does having a line start with "n't" look wrong!

And "!?" is totally valid punctuation, it's called an interrobang. Although I'd personally only use it in dialogue.

The problem that will come from an art school is that they'll be teaching the creation of art while scanlation is about the manipulation of art. Scanlating Japanese text is almost always going to look wrong to some degree because the bubbles are created to house vertical script as opposed to the English horizontal script. This makes a lot of bubbles and boxes troublesome to work with, and all the options look odd in one way or another.

I wish I had time to rummage through releases and find examples of what I'm talking about, but I'll just have to describe them right now.
The first one, and the one we've been talking about, is breaking words apart. This has the obvious problem of splitting a word, which I think always looks weird; however, I find this to be my preferred option.
The second is to have the text extend outside the boundaries of the bubbles and then put a halo around the text so it doesn't blend in with the bubble or any of the images outside the bubble. To me, is jarring and distracting, but it is very common.
The third is to shrink the text down so it fits in the bubble. Depending on the quality of the image you're working with, this can be effective; however, if you're working with low resolution images (low-quality scans and most images from Pixiv come to mind), making the text too small can leave it hard to read or even completely illegible.

Now, if you were creating the image to begin with, you would NEVER use ANY of these methods for adding text to your image (with the possible exception of text extending outside the bubble for dramatic effect), but we don't have the luxury of creating the bubbles so they're conducive to the new text. The sad truth of scanlation is there will simply be times when there's no good way to insert the text.

I think you're agreeing with me on the interrobang thing. It's a type of punctuation which is commonly used to represent the way people actually speak, but you wouldn't use it for any type of formal writing. To me, formal writing should always be where you start, but when you get into the clumsy language of the average speaker, the rules will start to break down, and you have to be prepared to throw the suggestions of academics out when those suggestions are not designed to handle your current situation.

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

That's not true. Other than using smaller font size, you can use different words that are shorter or splittable or you can just draw a bigger bubble.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

DrMario posted:

or you can just draw a bigger bubble.

Good luck with that one (we are talking about manga scanlations)

last edited at Apr 29, 2016 5:57PM

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

DrMario posted:

I do that occasionally. It's not hard.

joined Apr 1, 2013

Futanari Incest category..
i was honestly expecting a dick to grow. Also wtf at the start it was good but until she grew that clit penis lol xD
I would of prefered just normal Yuri also why couldnt she use a vibrator or something? lol

joined Sep 21, 2014

DrMario posted:

I do that occasionally. It's not hard.

you modify the bubble size???
Idk ive never heard of that, it sounds kinda.. risky? Idk, to modify the content

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

you modify the bubble size???
Idk ive never heard of that, it sounds kinda.. risky? Idk, to modify the content

Sure. It's not modifying the content any more than replacing sound effects is.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Futanari Incest category..
i was honestly expecting a dick to grow. Also wtf at the start it was good but until she grew that clit penis lol xD
I would of prefered just normal Yuri also why couldnt she use a vibrator or something? lol

Because it's from an anthology about clit expansion.

To reply you must either login or sign up.