Forum › Octave discussion

Yurinsijdisjdijs
joined Oct 15, 2011

Oh hell yeah!

joined Feb 3, 2013

God... so many feelings! :D I love that manga :)

Crazy_pup
joined Mar 13, 2012

~Squee~ Seeing this here made my day! Much love for this one.

Yayoi
joined Jan 31, 2013

YES! <3333333

joined Jan 30, 2013

"It’s a grown up manga for grown ups, who like to read grown up stories about grown up women who like grown up women" Erica Friedman
My all time favorite. Are there more mangas like this?

Hero
joined Mar 16, 2013

nice story.. and happy ending~ yey!!

4og3pf8
joined Jan 27, 2012

Thank you for adding this

joined Jan 11, 2013

Omg this is the manga that made me a fan of yuri

Images_(2)
joined Feb 10, 2013

...is it really the last chapter???...i feel something is missing...

%e3%82%b9%e3%82%af%e3%83%aa%e3%83%bc%e3%83%b3%e3%82%b7%e3%83%a7%e3%83%83%e3%83%88-0026-02-02-%e5%8d%88%e5%89%8d9.10.45
joined Feb 12, 2013

nice story, nice ending

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I almost gave up on the yuri genre completely after I read this the first time. The drama is manufactured to the most cliche specifications and the characters are paper-thin. Yukino makes me want to punch babies.

last edited at Mar 17, 2013 8:23PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Sounds like top-tier yuri.

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

I never liked this all that much, but i'll have to learn to love it just to annoy Seravi. It shall be glorious.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

The drama is manufactured to the most cliche specifications and the characters are paper-thin.

Yea, and Yukino comes off as very annoying and whiny to me. So I don't really care about her as a character.

Phyis Moderator
Midori-facepalm
Yuri Project
joined Dec 12, 2012

about grown up women who like grown up women

Wat. Yukino isn't grown up, emotionally she is a whiny immature girl who runs away from her problems, be it physically, shifting blame on others, seeking affection from others or wallowing in self-pity. Her slowly growing up into an adult is the whole point of Octave.

last edited at Mar 17, 2013 6:26PM

joined Jan 30, 2013

yes, that's my (Friedman's) point. aren't we agreeing with each other?

I almost gave up on the yuri genre completely after I read this the first time. The drama is manufactured to the most cliche specifications and the characters are paper-thin. Yukino makes me want to punch babies.

Now compare that to the regular school life onee sama type of manga ;p

last edited at Mar 17, 2013 8:23PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If you're looking for more "adult" (in the mature sense, not the sex sense) manga, maybe something like Pieta (the protagonists are young but act much more mature) or Yamaji Ebine's stuff. All very good.

That said, I love Octave, and I'm glad to see it some to Dynasty.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'd make babies with a Setsuko if it were biologically or physically possible.

I personally liked Octave after reading it in full a second time. The first time I read it I was going chapter by chapter every time it updated. This time around I have a much better sense of it. As an adult, I can see Yukino progressing. She's whiny and annoying, for sure. I do prefer Setsuko. But that's a bit the point. She's a total narcissist, but she does get a bit better. Personally, I see the story as ending on an open note. We've only seen part of the progression, and for sure she is not complete. But from the tone of the ending we are to positively assume that she becomes a better and complete person as she ages. She's still a kid, but the relationship is helping her through adulthood. Reminds me of my first long-term relationship in college.

Yayoi
joined Jan 31, 2013

about grown up women who like grown up women

Wat. Yukino isn't grown up, emotionally she is a whiny immature girl who runs away from her problems, be it physically, shifting blame on others, seeking affection from others or wallowing in self-pity. Her slowly growing up into an adult is the whole point of Octave.

Said it like a champ Phyis!

Exactly Yukino is only 18, so of course she still going to act like a immature girl because she only 18. She still has a lot to learn and experience for her to be able to grow up, which the manga depict perfectly in my opinion.

lets get real it is all about that Setsuko :P haha I just love her character!

joined Jan 30, 2013

If you're looking for more "adult" (in the mature sense, not the sex sense) manga, maybe something like Pieta (the protagonists are young but act much more mature) or Yamaji Ebine's stuff. All very good.

Already read, thanks anyway.

Konan
joined Apr 20, 2012

No matter how many times I read it (just got done reading it for the fifth time earlier today), I'm still very much in-love with this manga. One of my favorite mangas as well as my favorite Yuri (This, Girl Friends Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana). I found the romance a lot more "real" then I've read in other yuri mangas. Instead of one based in an "All girls school" setting or where it features only women it focuses on real world problems and well, more realistic. While people may bag on Yukino, I thought the way the mangaka did with her was perfect. An unstable, broken-beyond-repair girl stumbling upon and getting seduced by an older women who slowly but surely puts her back together and helps her become a better person. Yea, she's whiny and can get annoying but she was made to have issues like that that made her that way. She eventually grows up and becomes a better person in the end.

It was a well made manga in my mind, shame it ended so soon, though.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Haven't touched this one in a long while since it was originally finished. Am happy to see it on here. The first time I read it I wanted to choke Yukino so badly. But having reread it now, after having not read for a long while, I must say this is definitely one of my favorites... It's better this time around because I have a better understanding of Yukino's insecurities now than when I originally read it while it was being released. I can easily relate to a lot of her insecurities in a sense. It was great watching her take those necessary steps to get past them, find out what she wants, who she really is, and begin the maturing process. It would be awesome to see what Setsuko and Yukino are like 5 years on as a couple and individually as well.

joined Aug 8, 2011

the best yuri I ever read.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I found pages 9 and 10 of chapter 16 to be missing, this just me or...?

Fixed. The archive I downloaded from their site is missing those two pages. I was able to find a download somewhere else with them though.

joined Oct 11, 2010

I've always liked this one even though it does tend to be a bit cliche in some ways but it not being about high school makes up for that.

To reply you must either login or sign up.