Acd34ecdb4f42e680ecf6b00cff43477
joined Sep 15, 2015

Yoooo~
It's nice to read all of these medical stuffs in the thread. XD

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 6:34PM

Tumblr_lolhmrwbnl1qiyxpbo4_250
joined Jun 22, 2016

Yo right back at ya! :)

Maybe time for a new name for this thread ;)

I’m just always fascinated with the possibilities of modern medicine but at the same time it’s quite depressing since it’s no longer just about the well-being of an individual but mostly about making profit.

Cephalosporin
1-soyqfa_400x400
joined Jun 22, 2016

It depends of how you look at it, I mean, yeah, the big companies go for the money, but I think that the people that who work for them do it because of their vocations, they studied and got that job to help people, so there's always that way to look at it positively

Like%20i%20care
joined Jun 22, 2016

I'm just quickly gonna use the chance and jump on the introduction bandwagon. Now I'm not the only awkward newb in the thread. Yay I guess. Also, hi. I'm Max (female, btw)

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

My two cents: It really is time to change the thread's name since even if we at the official thread went off topic, we would never come here for that. And also people can join the discussion here regardless that they read wdtfs, right?

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 7:26PM

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Cephalosporin

For you the glas seems to be half full :)
That’s a good trait!
I tend to reside on the dark side sometimes... (^_^”)

But you are right. And that’s the reason why there’s still hope.

@ Like I Care

You can’t possibly be more awkward than me ;)

Like%20i%20care
joined Jun 22, 2016

since it’s no longer just about the well-being of an individual but mostly about making profit.

If you can make profit on the cost of an animal's life, why not make profit on the cost of human life as well? It's only fair, really. That's what I think at least. (Oh yeah, I tend to be a cynic. Should probably know that about me.)

@Anon
I'm not really awkward tbh, but it just feels awkward to me to be the only new guy somewhere. I don't like that feeling at all, so when I can, I see to it that I'm not the only rookie to show up somewhere.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 7:29PM

Photo
joined Feb 13, 2016

​Since Su pointed that I could give some references on the matter, I'll do it.

First of all, I agree with everything that Anon99 wrote, so regarding this topic I won't add much. Currently, there's no device that could keep a donor heart in condition for a transplant for weeks. Due to a very limited ischemic time, the heart typically lasts 4-6 hours, a maximum of 10-12h with the available technology. I don't believe that any research center would keep one device such as the one Su mentioned as a secret. Millions of lives could be saved; also industry could get a real profit out of this device.

Here's one reference for ischemic time and current donor selection:
- Kilic A, Emani S. Donor selection in heatr transplant. J Thorac Dis 2014;6(8):1097-1104 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4133543/)

Regarding Su's medical condition, as Cephalosporin mentioned, maybe Su misunderstood a few things her doctor said. But I'll leave my take on the matter and some references:

• I don't know any genetic condition in which your body grows faster than your organs. It seems absurd to me. Su, on the other hand, pointed it's a rare condition, so it's possible I'm simply ignorant to that. Unfortunately I don't have my Genetics textbook right now. And my research on Internet provided me nothing.

• Su mentioned a "heart valve spasm". Typical heart valve defects are stenosis, regurgitation, prolapse and congenital defects (such as bicuspid aortic valve).
    Maybe her doctor used the term "spasm" to simplify their explanation on the process, since "spasm" isn't a proper medical term.

Reference for current management of valvular heart diseases: 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. (https://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=48267)

• On allergic reaction due to medications: drug allergy can be classsified in one of the four following hypersensibility reactions - IgE mediated reactions, Cytotoxic reaction, Immune complex reaction and Cell mediated reactions (Geel-Coombs classification). The most common symptoms are skin rash, itch, wheezing and anaphylaxis. Rarely, some more serious manifestations may occur like DRESS syndrome and Stevens-Johnson, which are life threatening condition with serious skin manifestations. Su didn't describe her symptoms; all we know is that Lin found her collapsed on the floor due to another valve "spasm" caused by the drug. I wouldn't say that was due to drug allergy. Drug adverse effects (which aren't all necessarily immune-mediated like hypersensibility reaction), however, could cause dizziness, hypothesion and syncope. On patients with Stage D Heart failure (stage in which heart transplant are recommended), it's recommended the use of diuretics, beta-blockers, digitalis and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEI). Out of this classes of medications, drug allergy is most common with ACEI, causing wheezing and angioedema.

References for Heart failure and Drug allergy managements:

Side note: I'm currently just an intern in med school, so my knowledge is limited.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 7:42PM

Like%20i%20care
joined Jun 22, 2016

To throw my thoughts in the ring as well, I live in Germany too and my mom was a surgeon for 15 years and I've never heard about any device like that either. Companies, and in the end hospitals are nothing more than that, do keep secrets, but something groundbreaking like that would've been all over the news and net. So either that Su person really just misunderstood stuff, like a whole lot of stuff, or she's simply a plain old liar.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 7:50PM

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Like I Care

If you put it like that then I guess you’re right, why should we, as human beings, make an exception? But the moment you get involved yourself or one of your loved ones does that’s when it starts taking a toll on you...

I can’t talk for anyone else here but I can handle a little cynicism ;)

@ Azai

Hi! ^^

Thank you for your take on the matter!
It’s always nice to have a doctor around! :)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Regarding a name change, the whole point to this thread was it wasn't about WDtFS, but populated by people from that discussion.

If you're looking at turning it into a general, all-comers shootin' the shit thread, I think the way to do it is a fresh start with a new thread and name to go with it, and just leave this one to fade into archive-land.

Like%20i%20care
joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Like I Care

If you put it like that then I guess you’re right, why should we, as human beings, make an exception? But the moment you get involved yourself or one of your loved ones does that’s when it starts taking a toll on you...

I understand how that feels, trust me. But I guess when you get involved on the other side as well, it starts to put things into perspective. I work on a dairy farm and while I think that the farm I work at is really giving its best at making the life for the cows there as comfy and good as possible, at the end of the day we still send those breathing, feeling and seriously interesting animals off to the slaughterhouse without a second thought once they get so sick, that taking care of them would just become too expensive. I look into the expressive, dark eyes of those gentle giants every time I'm there and that's when I really realize, and I mean it really hits me in the face like a soccer ball each time, that humans are beasts. We exploit animals, nature itself, and now we've started exploiting ourselves. The snake has begun to eat its own tail. Somehow, I find that thought oddly comforting.

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 8:04PM

Dppp
joined Mar 2, 2016

Regarding a name change, the whole point to this thread was it wasn't about WDtFS, but populated by people from that discussion.

If you're looking at turning it into a general, all-comers shootin' the shit thread, I think the way to do it is a fresh start with a new thread and name to go with it, and just leave this one to fade into archive-land.

NO. D:

Also, hi guys. Interesting discussion we have going here..
I'm a noob when it comes to these medical things so I'll just stay out of this.. lmao.
but dang o_o

last edited at Jun 22, 2016 8:20PM

Like%20i%20care
joined Jun 22, 2016

Well, I have read WDTFS and I just posted something in the discussion there, so I guess that means I'm qualified for being here, lol.

Sup Newp. Nice meeting you. I'm Max.

joined Sep 15, 2015

No for the name change !!

Dppp
joined Mar 2, 2016

Well, I have read WDTFS and I just posted something in the discussion there, so I guess that means I'm qualified for being here, lol.

Hi Max :) welcome to our not-so-little thread!

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

That was in the past. These days, the people here and the people at the official thread are almost totally two different bunches. I would say the ones who has showed up on both threads are Fay and Newp only, oh Suzuma too but very rarely. Anyway, it was just my two cents.

joined Sep 15, 2015

Hi Max :) welcome to our not-so-little thread!

Somehow the name Max kinda reminds me of this one girl in a game called Life is Strange xDD

Photopictureresizer_160424_131930125-640x360
joined Jan 13, 2016

I agree with you KitKat. I think a new thread should be created instead and leave this one alone.

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

I thought you would support the name change proposal as it might lead to a new name with "butt" in there.

Dppp
joined Mar 2, 2016

These days, the people here and the people at the official thread are almost totally two different bunches. I would say the ones who has showed up on both threads are Fay and Newp only, oh Suzuma too but very rarely. Anyway, it was just my two cents.

Yeah, that thread is way too crazy for me now lmao. (Too many long ass discussions). Now I only show up there to post my translations for people.

Photo
joined Feb 13, 2016

No for the name change! xD

Btw welcome everyone!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Just to make it clear, I was saying this thread shouldn't get a name change, and that I supported a similar thread as a general hangout/off-topic chat place for forum-goers in general, rather than people who didn't want to fill up the WDtFS discussion with banter.

joined Sep 15, 2015

I thought you would support the name change proposal as it might lead to a new name with "butt" in there.

Well, Originally this off topic thread is created for people who have been going off topic from the official thread and to not create chaos or disaster or whatever. And I personally didn't like the idea of renaming this off topic thread nor creating a new one and moving to it just for the sake of having all sorts of different topics. Like why make all of those effort when people are already comfortable in staying here ?? You can keep your two cents or whatever to yourself. I don't mean to sass or be rude but I don't think anyone here is willing to move or even agree at all to what you are proposing lol
Oh, also, I would still not agree to a name change even if it leads to having a HUGE BUTT in it XDD

Dppp
joined Mar 2, 2016

This thread has too many precious memories and discussions in it.. heh.

To reply you must either login or sign up.