Forum › The Flower And The Star discussion

Katomixharu%20-%20cross%20heart
joined Jul 3, 2013

Love this story, been waiting for more chapters. Saw the Vol 1 extra posted, so I was eager to read it. It was definitely not what I expected, but I had a nice laugh from it, lol Anyone who has a dog or especially a cat should love the extra.

joined Jan 31, 2013

Did the cat slam the door?

joined May 31, 2013

"I want to sleep on the keyboard, but no-one is currently using it." /firstworldcatproblems

joined Jul 3, 2013

Did the cat slam the door?

From what I saw it sure seemed like it, lol

4og3pf8
joined Jan 27, 2012

Typical cat. If it's yours, I sits.

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

typical..

Dog: Oh they feed me. They pet me. They must be god...
Cat: They feed me. I am god...

joined Apr 20, 2013

xD Really funny! But I don't like cats at all.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

Cats are so sassy, I love it lol. But I really want chapter 9 for this (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

joined Jul 8, 2013

That special chapter...that cat...it's as if she's a clone of both of my dogs...

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

I admit, I laughed alot at that cat! So typical! thanks Yuri Project!

joined May 22, 2013

ooh 9 10 and 11 came out all at once...feels like the end to another beloved series...though it was a satisfying end for oncexD

Him
joined Feb 21, 2013

Wait, Chapter 11 can't be the end, can it? I wanted to see Hoshino's perspective when she saw Hanai at the middle-school tournaments after what seemed to be so long. What was she thinking when she saw her again? What thoughts were going through her head? I'll have to locate the mangaka and force them to right out every last detail.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ooh 9 10 and 11 came out all at once...feels like the end to another beloved series...though it was a satisfying end for oncexD

Yeah, saw it too... The way they express their feelings is a joy to watch.
Oh wait... It's actually over and I just find it today existencial crisis in progress

last edited at Jul 26, 2013 11:19PM

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

Fake "translations" seem to have appeared for Chapters 9, 10 and 11. The dialogue in most places has only slight correspondence to the original and in many cases is entirely invented.

joined May 22, 2013

Fake "translations" seem to have appeared for Chapters 9, 10 and 11. The dialogue in most places has only slight correspondence to the original and in many cases is entirely invented.

care to elaborate...seemed a pretty good translation to me...

joined Jul 3, 2013

I see no 9 10 or 11. Were they up and got removed? Or am I missing something?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I see no 9 10 or 11. Were they up and got removed? Or am I missing something?

You better wait, I can't really tell if it was invented because it made sense with the history but they made big mistakes like poorly cleaning the text bubbles

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

The fake releases (which have appeared on various online manga readers under Yuri Project's name) are internally coherent, so it isn't obvious that they aren't good translations. Unfortunately, they simply don't represent the lines of dialogue Suzukin Kario actually wrote. The fact that certain portions ARE translated correctly, but others are totally made up, makes me think this was an intentional troll, not just a bad translation.

The climactic scenes are the most badly distorted, so it's hard to find good examples that aren't also spoilers. Here's a pretty representative one from chapter 9, though. This appears on the Batoto reader as Yuri Project's release of Hana to Hoshi, Ch.9. Page 7 contains the following dialogue from Hanai:

"All I want is to be left alone! I don't care if everyone hates me! Look at me -- I can't even go easy on them during stupid practice matches! I'm the freak! I'm the jerk! I get it! I get them! But no one gets me! I hate this.... I hate table tennis...! But.... but I have to keep winning!!"

Intense! Hanai is tortured by her own hypercompetitive nature, no longer enjoying what she does but driven forward by her will to win. Except that's not actually what's going on at all. Here's the original:

負けたから泣いてんでしょうが... こんな... ザコしかない練習試合で全勝できないなんて... なさけない, はずかしい. 私はもっとぜんぶいっぱい強くなりたいの...

I'm not an experienced translator, but that's roughly:
"Crying's what you do when you lose, right? I can't even go undefeated in a practice competition against a bunch of small fries... What a disgrace! How embarrassing! I want to become.... much, much stronger!"

You'll agree this bears little resemblance to the version on Batoto. There's no reference to being left alone, being hated, being understood, being a freak, going easy on anyone, or hating table tennis. Basically the entire dialogue was invented from thin air. And this is hardly the most egregious example. The most important lines seem to have been the ones most heedlessly rewritten. Those who read the fake releases may have thought they were reading Hana to Hoshi, but they were really reading an entirely different (and much less elegantly told) story.

last edited at Jul 27, 2013 1:25PM

joined Jul 3, 2013

You'll agree this bears little resemblance to the version on Batoto. There's no reference to being left alone, being hated, being understood, being a freak, going easy on anyone, or hating table tennis. Basically the entire dialogue was invented from thin air. And this is hardly the most egregious example. The most important lines seem to have been the ones most heedlessly rewritten. Those who read the fake releases may have thought they were reading Hana to Hoshi, but they were really reading an entirely different (and much less elegantly told) story.

Thank you for telling us all about this! I'll be sure to patiently wait here for the conclusion then. Reading bad scanlations is far worse than waiting.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Then whoever who puts yuri project's name on that release has no shame

joined May 22, 2013

fair enough...i'll of course read both versions but sometimes taking liberty with translation can be good. in this case i enjoyed the translated chapters. they told a decent story, it was funny and emotional....i hope that the correct translation lives up to what i have read so far.xD

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Thank you for telling us all about this! I'll be sure to patiently wait here for the conclusion then. Reading bad scanlations is far worse than waiting.

Agreed. That would just kill me.
Especially if they led me astray.

joined Jan 30, 2013

I read this series ages ago and I still love it. Thank you yuri project!

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

YEAH!!! NEW CHAPTER (9)!
after reading
I'm so choked up...I can't handle it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hmmmpf,That's what being young is about... Thought that never happened to me, neither being rejected or rejecting WHY!? ...
This is such a lovely story, thanks for chapter nine, it's good that they can settle things like that, it doesn't happen in real life very often.

To reply you must either login or sign up.