Forum › Posts by CorporateChampion

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

This is not a series per se but rather three connected one-shots.

It is correctly marked as "complete", since there is no way of knowing whether Sasada-sensei will write any further sequels.

The publication history is as follows: the initial one-shot was published in Hirari 9. Sasada then wrote a sequel to it for her tankoubon collection, "Kira Kira no Natsu" (whose cover appears on the series page.) A second sequel was then published in Hirari 10.

CorporateChampion
Tie Breaker discussion 08 Sep 13:12
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

As I understand there is a fourth chapter that TS was in the process of translating.

To the best of my knowledge, Horii Kisuke never released a fourth chapter for this series. Therefore the three TS chapters posted here represent the entire series as currently constituted.

Regrettably, since the last installment was released in 2009, it seems increasingly unlikely that there will ever be a continuation.

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

Strongly disagreed.

I believe you are correct.

The original line is: あ もう ぬるい (a, mou nurui). Mou meaning "already", nurui meaning "lukewarm".

I assumed they were drinking hot tea and that it had become tepid. Largely because I drink a lot of hot tea, even on very hot summer days, and I hate when it gets tepid. It never occurred to me that "lukewarm" could also refer to a cold drink becoming too warm, and that this would be just as unpleasant. However, the condensation on the glass does indeed suggest that this is what happened.

Thank you for pointing out the mistake. As the translator for this project, I apologize for the error. That line should be, "Yuck, it's all warm."

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

P07, top-middle panel: blonde's dialog "Yuch, it got cold."

It was hot tea that turned lukewarm. "Yuck, it got (too) cold (to drink)."

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

"Want to come back to my place after the movie? Which will be fourteen hours from now, since we're watching Lawrence of Arabia?"

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

Far and away the best thing on Dynasty Reader, if not Planet Earth.

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

The fake releases (which have appeared on various online manga readers under Yuri Project's name) are internally coherent, so it isn't obvious that they aren't good translations. Unfortunately, they simply don't represent the lines of dialogue Suzukin Kario actually wrote. The fact that certain portions ARE translated correctly, but others are totally made up, makes me think this was an intentional troll, not just a bad translation.

The climactic scenes are the most badly distorted, so it's hard to find good examples that aren't also spoilers. Here's a pretty representative one from chapter 9, though. This appears on the Batoto reader as Yuri Project's release of Hana to Hoshi, Ch.9. Page 7 contains the following dialogue from Hanai:

"All I want is to be left alone! I don't care if everyone hates me! Look at me -- I can't even go easy on them during stupid practice matches! I'm the freak! I'm the jerk! I get it! I get them! But no one gets me! I hate this.... I hate table tennis...! But.... but I have to keep winning!!"

Intense! Hanai is tortured by her own hypercompetitive nature, no longer enjoying what she does but driven forward by her will to win. Except that's not actually what's going on at all. Here's the original:

負けたから泣いてんでしょうが... こんな... ザコしかない練習試合で全勝できないなんて... なさけない, はずかしい. 私はもっとぜんぶいっぱい強くなりたいの...

I'm not an experienced translator, but that's roughly:
"Crying's what you do when you lose, right? I can't even go undefeated in a practice competition against a bunch of small fries... What a disgrace! How embarrassing! I want to become.... much, much stronger!"

You'll agree this bears little resemblance to the version on Batoto. There's no reference to being left alone, being hated, being understood, being a freak, going easy on anyone, or hating table tennis. Basically the entire dialogue was invented from thin air. And this is hardly the most egregious example. The most important lines seem to have been the ones most heedlessly rewritten. Those who read the fake releases may have thought they were reading Hana to Hoshi, but they were really reading an entirely different (and much less elegantly told) story.

last edited at Jul 27, 2013 1:25PM

CorporateChampion
Blakeysquare
joined Feb 26, 2012

Fake "translations" seem to have appeared for Chapters 9, 10 and 11. The dialogue in most places has only slight correspondence to the original and in many cases is entirely invented.