Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Dead
joined Mar 12, 2021

You know, out of all the sites I've been, this is the most prominent one where readers actually call out Sumin for her shitty behavior and asked the really hard questions. Anywhere else, you criticise their favorite character and you would have these snowflakes jumping down your throat, lol

Even after the story has ended, I never got the impression she learnt her life lesson and has changed for the better. She's still an incredibly selfish person as evident of Will. The only difference compared to the past, she now has an extreme doormat for a girlfriend who will let her do whatever she wishes without being challenged. I mean damn her, I wish I had a partner who lets me take her for granted all the time :D

I think it's because the followers of Sumin love her for her bad girl and womanizing look, they insert themselves into her.
And I agree that she never stopped being her selfish self. But she now she has an angelic girlfriend who forgives a cheating after three weeks and they reconcile with rough sex. Even that scene has quite a misplaced connotation for Sungji's character, that would be called reconnection sex. That's why Sungji tells her that he wants to mark her name on hers, a kind of erasing Seju's traces from her. And as you can see, Sumin didn't even seem to enjoy it.

Remember that the attraction of the angelic blonde begins with Sumin's face, that's why she always wants to see his face during sex.

joined Mar 19, 2021

You know, out of all the sites I've been, this is the most prominent one where readers actually call out Sumin for her shitty behavior and asked the really hard questions. Anywhere else, you criticise their favorite character and you would have these snowflakes jumping down your throat, lol

Even after the story has ended, I never got the impression she learnt her life lesson and has changed for the better. She's still an incredibly selfish person as evident of Will. The only difference compared to the past, she now has an extreme doormat for a girlfriend who will let her do whatever she wishes without being challenged. I mean damn her, I wish I had a partner who lets me take her for granted all the time :D

I think it's because the followers of Sumin love her for her bad girl and womanizing look, they insert themselves into her.
And I agree that she never stopped being her selfish self. But she now she has an angelic girlfriend who forgives a cheating after three weeks and they reconcile with rough sex. Even that scene has quite a misplaced connotation for Sungji's character, that would be called reconnection sex. That's why Sungji tells her that he wants to mark her name on hers, a kind of erasing Seju's traces from her. And as you can see, Sumin didn't even seem to enjoy it.

Remember that the attraction of the angelic blonde begins with Sumin's face, that's why she always wants to see his face during sex.

"I'm scared."

Were you though?

joined Mar 19, 2021

I just wanted someone to tell Sumin that life doesn't revolve around her and that she needed some real help to address her cavalcade of emotional issues, because all she did throughout was hide behind casual sex and retained her (irrational) consuming hatred of a woman who loved her. I realise these are two complex women with deep emotional ties, and that's why people think they shouldn't be together ("they're toxic"). I've said this before, but I just wish that there was more of an attempt as opposed to their circuitous merry-go-round: I hate you, let's have sex, I'm seeing someone new. And Seju accepts it, because she thinks she needs Sumin for love.

Dead
joined Mar 12, 2021

I just wanted someone to tell Sumin that life doesn't revolve around her and that she needed some real help to address her cavalcade of emotional issues, because all she did throughout was hide behind casual sex and retained her (irrational) consuming hatred of a woman who loved her. I realise these are two complex women with deep emotional ties, and that's why people think they shouldn't be together ("they're toxic"). I've said this before, but I just wish that there was more of an attempt as opposed to their circuitous merry-go-round: I hate you, let's have sex, I'm seeing someone new. And Seju accepts it, because she thinks she needs Sumin for love.

Because they needed to please fans with the cliché ending. Where Sumin did not learn from his mistakes of 10 years, his toxic behavior and psychological abuse towards Seju. In a slightly more realistic setting and a different direction in the story, they could have saved their relationship.

However, when I was reading the story, I wanted a more lonely ending for the tattoo girl. Reflecting and working on her emotional problems and maybe reuniting with Seju and starting as friends, getting to know each other again.

The message was

As long as you get something, everything will be fine.

Forget about solving problems. Sex is key.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s a profound error on the part of the author that anyone in the world is talking in positive terms about the possibility of Sumin and Seju “saving their relationship.” That was not, and was never going to be, Seju’s role in this story. The story where Sumin and Seju get back together is a completely different story than the author was ever telling in this series.

Whatever the reason the creators spent far too much time and space developing Seju’s character and backstory (whether Seju was just more interesting to write about, or if they got off on the sex scenes, or whatever), they doomed the series to an unsatisfactory ending for one or more big segments of the audience—Seju fans are still bemoaning her fate, and fans of the OTP know the MCs got shortchanged in their characterization by the excessive attention given to what is, in the end, a secondary character.

joined Mar 24, 2021

It’s a profound error on the part of the author that anyone in the world is talking in positive terms about the possibility of Sumin and Seju “saving their relationship.” That was not, and was never going to be, Seju’s role in this story. The story where Sumin and Seju get back together is a completely different story than the author was ever telling in this series.

Whatever the reason the creators spent far too much time and space developing Seju’s character and backstory (whether Seju was just more interesting to write about, or if they got off on the sex scenes, or whatever), they doomed the series to an unsatisfactory ending for one or more big segments of the audience—Seju fans are still bemoaning her fate, and fans of the OTP know the MCs got shortchanged in their characterization by the excessive attention given to what is, in the end, a secondary character.

joined Mar 24, 2021

joined Mar 24, 2021

TBH, I don’t want Sumin and Seju get back together caused that means the toxic relationship will never end even they are 50 years old. It’s the right move for Seju to let go of Sumin after 10 years of verbally and physically abused by Sumin. With Sungji, Sumin finally realized what she did was wrong and becomes a better girlfriend and eventually get married with Sungji (means Sumin has back to normal and stopped hurting other girls) I appreciate that at least the creator let Do Won came to rescue of Seju from a lonely and miserable life. At least there is someone there to take care of her when she is sick or feeling lonely. Do Won has a tragic past as well but she live on well and Seju was also amazed by her and she had shown a good example to Seju to value life. Do Won is strong, good and patient, she had shown Seju the difference between making love and having sex (can’t believe she had to accept Sumin’s sexual abuse and that ugly bartender who took advantage and slept with her while she was drunk) With Do Won beside her, Seju is able to move on, found love and successful.

joined Mar 19, 2021

I think you've misunderstood me, but that's probably my fault, because I wasn't clear. Let me explain. I wanted Sumin and Seju to be together. However, I acknowledge that Gaji's intent from the beginning was to make Sumin fall in love and end with Sungji (in an interview, they said they knew the ending from the beginning) I think you've misclassified that Seju was a "secondary character"; she is integral to the plot. But, that's neither here nor there. Now, I don't care about that. It doesn't matter to me what Gaji's intention was or what they felt was good. I mean, when I read other texts, even canonical ones, I still question the author's motives, as is everyone's right. As a segue, read Roland Barthes essay on 'the death of the author' if anyone's interested about this topic further.

If you go to the previous page, I state my problem is they spent all this time lavishing all this prelapsarian detail... for what? For what? Because all it did was made me think (and still remain thinking) that this relationship was salvageable and could invoke forgiveness (but as Neurotech pointed out, this is impossible for such an inward thinking character). There was nothing wrong with Seju - she made a mistake, she tried to put forward copious amounts of recompense and it still wasn't enough (which tells me Sumin has some major issues still unresolved).

I don't really much care for this circuitous argument that they were "toxic". I think they were two women in emotional gridlock desperate for love and it came outwardly as revenge because they struggle to express. And Seju was frightened of losing Sumin at all, so she carried on the broken glasses sex-focused relationship, because she felt it was enough.

I just want to say that I've read more of this forum, reading opinions that Seju and Sumin should not have ended up together and it was the right decision to move on to other people. Okay, fine. But, I am resolved to say otherwise. I know what the ending is, but that doesn't mean I can't dispute it.

joined Jul 10, 2020

Hence why I consider Sumin and Sungji relationship to be so shallow. Let's be honest, the blondie didn't exactly fall for her precious team leader because she had the most charming personality ever (that girl has zero charisma). It was as she admitted in the early chapters, because of her good looks. In other words, if she wasn't physically attractive, Sungji wouldn't have bothered giving her a second look lol.

Casandra smith
joined Feb 21, 2021

TBH, move on and finally love again is this manga about. Not everyone has the good luck that they can be with their first love forever. Sumin and Seju becomes a better and happier person now with Sungji and Do Won. Both of them stopping hurting each other and other people. They have learnt from their past experiences and treasure more for their lovers now. No more insecurites, hate and revenge!

joined Mar 19, 2021

Hence why I consider Sumin and Sungji relationship to be so shallow. Let's be honest, the blondie didn't exactly fall for her precious team leader because she had the most charming personality ever (that girl has zero charisma). It was as she admitted in the early chapters, because of her good looks. In other words, if she wasn't physically attractive, Sungji wouldn't have bothered giving her a second look lol.

I spat out my drink when you said Sumin has zero charisma. lol. And I agree with what you've said.

Casandra smith
joined Feb 21, 2021

To me, Sumin is the same club as Sungji. She falls for Seju's beauty and sexy boobs since young and still drag on Seju after breaking up caused she still looks good and attractive. Sumin wouldn't have bother to give Seju a second look if she is an average look girl. And then Sumin met Sungji who is prettier and 10 years younger than Seju, no wonder she dumped Seju and get over her so quickly. Sumin and Sungji real match! Lol.

Casandra smith
joined Feb 21, 2021

TBH, I don’t want Sumin and Seju get back together caused that means the toxic relationship will never end even they are 50 years old. It’s the right move for Seju to let go of Sumin after 10 years of verbally and physically abused by Sumin. With Sungji, Sumin finally realized what she did was wrong and becomes a better girlfriend and eventually get married with Sungji (means Sumin has back to normal and stopped hurting other girls) I appreciate that at least the creator let Do Won came to rescue of Seju from a lonely and miserable life. At least there is someone there to take care of her when she is sick or feeling lonely. Do Won has a tragic past as well but she live on well and Seju was also amazed by her and she had shown a good example to Seju to value life. Do Won is strong, good and patient, she had shown Seju the difference between making love and having sex (can’t believe she had to accept Sumin’s sexual abuse and that ugly bartender who took advantage and slept with her while she was drunk) With Do Won beside her, Seju is able to move on, found love and successful.

Totally agreed with you! Move on and to be able to love in a healthy way again!

joined Jul 10, 2020

I wouldn't consider Sungji to be anymore prettier than Seju. Despite being younger by 10 years, her face looked about the same as her. Give them the same hair color and eyes, and you can say they're pretty much twin sisters.

Dead
joined Mar 12, 2021

You are right, and so I emphasized that this would have happened in a different setting.

For example the character of Sungji. The love that she gave to Sumin didn't leave as strong a mark as Seju did on the development of the story (probably because she didn't have the 10-year agonized wait for forgiveness.

The problem does not come from how readers interpret a work, it is the author's fault as he develops it. It would be as if the reader embarrassed the artist / author.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You are right, and so I emphasized that this would have happened in a different setting.

For example the character of Sungji. The love that she gave to Sumin didn't leave as strong a mark as Seju did on the development of the story (probably because she didn't have the 10-year agonized wait for forgiveness.

And also because we are given only a fraction of the amount and depth of backstory for Sungji that we get for Seju, so her character remains relatively two-dimensional.

Why is Sungji so insightful, compassionate, and understanding even though previously in her young life she's been rather sheltered and distant from other people? We're given a few scattered hints, but nothing approaching the treatment of Seju.

I think this is manifestly an example of the "breakout character" in serial fiction unexpectedly taking over the creators' imagination and creative energy, but without the creators having the courage to change the conclusion of the story to match (or perhaps they were simply oblivious to what their excessive attention to that character was doing to the overall trajectory of the story).

Dead
joined Mar 12, 2021

And she admits it herself, for something she is obsessed with her face. I remember that in a flashback after cheating on her, Sumin herself is disappointed that Sungji only sees her as her ideal type, purely superficial.

In my opinion Sungji is someone who was put in the wrong place and in the wrong story. Everything in their relationship was resolved with sex, did Sumin ever really open up to her or did Sungji make an effort to learn more about his life? Her presence was overshadowed because the story was always about Sumin and Seju.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

In my opinion Sungji is someone who was put in the wrong place and in the wrong story. Everything in their relationship was resolved with sex, did Sumin ever really open up to her or did Sungji make an effort to learn more about his life? Her presence was overshadowed because the story was always about Sumin and Seju.

Here's where we disagree--the story was not "always about Sumin and Seju." Seju doesn't even show up until a number of chapters into the series, and of course the conclusion is "about" Sungji and Sumin.

Talking about these fictional constructs as if they were real people with personal agency in terms of the story's construction is an analytical dead end--Sungji had no choice as to whether she learned more about Sumin's life, nor did Sumin have the option to open up to Sungji because the characters can only do what the authors allow them to do.

The failure of the characters to behave as you describe is a creative failure on the part of the creators, not a personal failure of the characters.

Dead
joined Mar 12, 2021

Here's where we disagree--the story was not "always about Sumin and Seju." Seju doesn't even show up until a number of chapters into the series, and of course the conclusion is "about" Sungji and Sumin.

Talking about these fictional constructs as if they were real people with personal agency in terms of the story's construction is an analytical dead end--Sungji had no choice as to whether she learned more about Sumin's life, nor did Sumin have the option to open up to Sungji because the characters can only do what the authors allow them to do.

The failure of the characters to behave as you describe is a creative failure on the part of the creators, not a personal failure of the characters.

Of course we don't have to agree on everything. Each reader has their own perception of the work. When I point out that Sungji always seems out of place it is because most of the time she always seems in the background even though she is the main character.

His healing qualities for his love interest really what they were about? Chapter 7 is the only thing we have to know a little about her and it really is disappointing. They tell us that she feels uncomfortable around others because they watch her for being beautiful. As the story progresses there is nothing else about her that makes me care or feel attracted and know more about her.

Certainly later you realize that she is not as naive as she seems, but then many things begin to feel bad with the construction of her character and she begins to have behaviors that move away from that wonderful and perfect angel that the chargers think she is. That is why I think that many things with her sit for another story, not for a dark drama that has absolutely nothing to do with healing. Even her sex scenes with Sumin were exaggerated and awkward, maybe except for the first time they had sex, yet she still looked very expressionless.

I'm not even worried about the shipments, my observations are more connected with the story than the love interest of x character.

last edited at Mar 24, 2021 11:10AM

joined Feb 7, 2020

https://twitter.com/team_gaji/status/1417455793935249413
Seju's new official art
please retweet and favorite this beautiful boss

Dead
joined Mar 12, 2021

https://twitter.com/team_gaji/status/1417455793935249413
Seju's new official art
please retweet and favorite this beautiful boss

I think TG should stop milking WDTFS. Seju looks good, but I feel her much more beautiful in the main story.
It's ironic that Seju is currently more popular than her fantasy duo, if you ask me, it's kind of pathetic.

last edited at Aug 31, 2021 7:32PM

joined Sep 29, 2021

Hi guys, new to this discussion
I'm currently re-read all 132 chapters and graving for audio voice story, does anyone know how to get it or if you guys have it please share, I'm just too obsessed with these 3 beauties

joined Jun 12, 2015

I hope Seven Seas will pick this up soon :)

Screenshot%202022-01-09%20112702
joined Jan 20, 2022

Of course I loved the toxic pair. XD actually, I just loved Baek Seju. And then I liked how Sumin cared for her. In the end it was all kinds of wrong, but damn I don't want it to be right, if I need to read through another dull passage of Sumin x Sungji..

I find Seju relatable. Her story is great. She's emotionally intelligent. Yes, she can be immature otherwise, manipulative and even pathetic at times. But she tried to change for better and learn from her mistakes. But life doesn't work that way.

" Sumin, I'm also only human."

Here's a fitting song for them:
https://youtu.be/sH5s-AkzZCs

last edited at Jan 20, 2022 2:56PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.