Forum › Ultimate Yuri Anime List

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Anime was amazing. I know it's technically a prequel to manga, but manga retcons a lot of stuff and I didn't like where it was going so I dropped it. Anime has perfect, satisfying ending, so let's just pretend manga doesn't exist.

You can argue that it wasn't stated that they love each other and it could as well be just strong friendship, but I still see it as love story. Especially since this is the anime's selling quote: "Will you kill someone you love because of love?" (spoilers)

Some couples that aren't stated as couples are far more convincing that some that are. (looking at likely end of a certain sound based anime which has everyone squeeing at the moment)

The manga got really bad in my opinion. It probably started it too, but was one of my first so I perhaps didn't see it. The protagonist by the end was only ever needed as a love interest. He served of other purpose to the narrative. And the pervert guy and Yomi literally no interaction to my memory. Banking on the 'they were engaged thing', which still struck me as bull. I don't remember their relationship well in the anime, but I'm fairly sure they didn't even like each other, not to mention that the marriage had to have been arranged,what with Yomi being in school still. even when I wasn't a huge yuri fan (whit... there was such a time? ugh, feels weird to think of), and was even younger and stupider than I am now I hated it for it's lack of reason.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I don't remember their relationship well in the anime, but I'm fairly sure they didn't even like each other, not to mention that the marriage had to have been arranged,what with Yomi being in school still. even when I wasn't a huge yuri fan (whit... there was such a time? ugh, feels weird to think of), and was even younger and stupider than I am now I hated it for it's lack of reason.

Yea. I watched it ages ago too. It was among first series I watched. And by first I mean like around 30 or so, because when I discovered anime, I was watching everything like mad, so I don't remember any exact order. Hell, I don't remember what anime was my first, but I digress. Anyway that anime made huge impact on me and back then I didn't even know what yuri was, but I already got a feeling they are really close and could be a couple. AMV I gave link too is actually awesome that it tells you story of entire show in 3 minutes. Yes, they are placed little out of order, but you can pretty much tell the entire plot. After watching it 3 times (man this amv is awesome) I pretty much remembered most of important stuff. Entire anime is focused on Kagura's and Yomi's relationship. How they get to know each other, trust each other and rely on each other. Neither of them had any romantic feelings towards any other character (btw one guy was gay and comedy with him was actually refreshing, because it was fun without being insulting) and they were the closest to one another, Which make later events even more painful...

last edited at Jun 29, 2015 5:03PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Flips you!! I love you!! Because of you I also remembered the anime Gokujou Seitokai !!! Omg I've been trying to remember it for days now !!! And yes I'll all you segestions as soon as can !!

Werid anime, but somewhat fun. Manga is much weirder.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Re-Kan (Subtext)

Note sure if it would belong here:
Gugure! Kokkuri-san <- has a character that changes genders at will, and is in love (obsessed) with the MC girl, has a lot of screentime as female. Anime is pretty funny.

Have not seen, cannot judge:
Inari Konkon Koi Iroha <- mostly het, but has yuri-drama on the side, unrequitted love melodrama. Never seen it myself, just read into the comments to see if yuri happens, it does not.

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

^The last one remains disappointingly unresolved even in the manga (which ended). Not to mention, the object of affection handles the confession really badly. Somehow they become friends again, but then the whole thing just disappears.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

spacepowers

Oh yeah Kill la Kill for some subtext and one really creepy suggestive scene.

Suggestive? is that how you call a mother sexually abusing one daughter and raping the other?

last edited at Jul 3, 2015 11:58PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I don't actually remember all that well so you might be right

Well it do have subtext between Ryuuko x Mako and Satsuki x Nonon.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I was just reading an article at The Mary Sue about the original pilot for Welcome To Night Vale, and this passage made me think of this thread.

The press release about the meeting also contains this bit:

“He grinned, and everything about him was perfect, and I fell in love instantly.”

Interestingly, when I first heard this episode I didn’t think that Cecil was romantically interested in Carlos. That’s pretty impressive considered Cecil straight-up says that he fell in love with Carlos. But instead I saw it more as a strange aesthetic fixation Cecil had on a person with perfect hair, a great jaw, cemetery-like teeth, and a nice coat. Granted, Night Vale is a weird place, but it’s also normal enough to have people fall in love. I think the larger reason for my mistake was that, in my experience, no one writes queer characters like this. I’ve been taught again and again that same-sex love hardly ever happens for main characters. If it does, it’s only after the show or storyline has been well established. Queer love is something writers take a chance on, but only when it feels like a safe risk.

I just couldn't help, reading that, but think of the people here, poring over anime trying to find those few little crumbs of lesbianism. The subtle hints in all but the very end of Korra. Bubbline. The possibility the adaption of Euphonium might deviate from the source material it was adapting. Hints, things happening off stage, secondary or tertiary characters, any little bit we can grasp. It's so hard to find that if it turned up in a new series, we might even be inclined to miss it because we're so used to it not happening.

And that kind of makes me sad.

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 5:44PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I feel so dense, when you said the yuri anime thread I didn't think it meant this one. *Shame...

Quick, someone look for a bright side... We get... to be... righteously angry?

Someone smarter than me!

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

I just couldn't help, reading that, but think of the people here, poring over anime trying to find those few little crumbs of lesbianism. The subtle hints in all but the very end of Korra.

Maybe I shouldn't respond to this half-drunk, but I should say:

I agree with this. Korra -- to me -- came completely out of nowhere. There were barely, if any, any hints, and trust me, I was looking for them. The only subtext was basically the last episode, and I wasn't as enamored with it as the rest of the world seems to have been.

To me, it felt as if they purposely left the ending ambiguous, to see what world-reaction would be. When it was positive and hopeful, they "confirmed" it. idk. It seemed like a cop-out to me.

last edited at Jul 4, 2015 11:02PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I just couldn't help, reading that, but think of the people here, poring over anime trying to find those few little crumbs of lesbianism. The subtle hints in all but the very end of Korra.

Maybe I shouldn't respond to this half-drunk, but I should say:

I agree with this. Korra -- to me -- came completely out of nowhere. There were barely, if any, any hints, and trust me, I was looking for them. The only subtext was basically the last episode, and I wasn't as enamored with it as the rest of the world seems to have been.

To me, it felt as if they purposely left the ending ambiguous, to see what world-reaction would be. When it was positive and hopeful, they "confirmed" it. idk. It seemed like a cop-out to me.

http://lokgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/105743705258/korrasami-analysis-musings-headcanons

Where I read most of my Korassami analysis. Certainly present, but not overt, and I liked it for that honestly.

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

http://lokgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/105743705258/korrasami-analysis-musings-headcanons

Where I read most of my Korassami analysis. Certainly present, but not overt, and I liked it for that honestly.

I'm going to save this to read when I don't feel as sick lol. But thank you for it. <3 Maybe it'll change my mind.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I'm going to save this to read when I don't feel as sick lol. But thank you for it. <3 Maybe it'll change my mind.

Hopefully, Korrasami is important enough to kill over.

... It would be ashamed was that to happen.

*you need to read that imagining me wide eyed with a creepy-smooth voice, and ignore the was/were pun I don't think made sense.

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

Hopefully, Korrasami is important enough to kill over.

... It would be ashamed was that to happen.

*you need to read that imagining me wide eyed with a creepy-smooth voice, and ignore the was/were pun I don't think made sense.

WOO NO LONGER FEEL SICK. throws confetti

haha, okay, I rescind a little of what I said...this certainly did show that I missed some bits...but other parts did feel like a stretch. :P It seemed like a story that fit with all of the canon material, rather than the canon material supporting the story 100-fold. That being said, there were glaring hints that were explained rather nicely -- the letter, for one, the first meeting after Kora gets back, the cock-blocking, etc.

I suppose I wish there was just a little bit more....and something more like a confession that wasn't laced in subtle innuendos before the overt main-text hand-holding sunset thingy.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Thanks to Image thread for reminding me about this:

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu!: Yuri. Lots of yuri. Ok, maybe not that much, but there are some genuine moments and at least 1 character is straight lesbian (if that makes any sense), so I think it safely counts.

last edited at Jul 10, 2015 10:00PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

The girl is a guy though.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

The girl is a guy though.

I know, but girl who kisses him is a lesbian and didn't know about it at the time + she has crush on other girl from the team and most of her scenes contain her thinking how to get to monopolize her crush for herself or trying to do so.

EDIT/ I rewatched most of episodes and I'm disappointed. I was sure there was more scenes with Acena and her psycho lesbian obsession with Twoearle and later Tailred (who she still doesn't know is a guy). She is great character in general and show is pretty good as comedy, but for yuri only it's honestly not worth time.

It seems in light novel she eventually joins good guys, but I'm not sure how much yuri is in it.

last edited at Jul 11, 2015 6:15PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I never really liked genderbender yuri, like Kashimashi, I just cannot let it go that its a dude there. Really bothers me.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Sooo. Where's Mai Hime?

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

Sooo. Where's Mai Hime?

I thought about updating I just have been so lazy X(

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I'm bookmarking this because this really helps me search for anime without all the frustration.

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

Thanks for reminding me to update this thing. Jees I have forgotten about this -.-

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Gakkou Gurashi! from this ongoing season, has some subtext.

That is the only one I know of.

last edited at Sep 3, 2015 12:23PM

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

Bodacious Space Pirates- yuri crush and side couple. Manga for it not sure, I didn't read it
Soul eater Not-heavy subtext, heavy subtext in Manga as well.

last edited at Sep 3, 2015 1:46PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Bodacious Space Pirates- yuri crush and side couple. Manga for it not sure, I didn't read it
Soul eater Not-heavy subtext, heavy subtext in Manga as well.

Also on-screen yuri kiss in BSP, blatantly states they're a couple.

To reply you must either login or sign up.