Forum › Online Reader Suggestions for Improvement

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I have formed a new (very small) scanlation group named "Fly by Yuri" and we would like to upload our first project to dynasty scans. At this time there are no plans for a web site. Would I need to upload it to media fire and submit an upload request? I could give you our groups email and details on the project on the request form. Or is there a better way?

By the way, this is NOT an April fools joke.

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 4:44AM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Our request form is heavily backlogged with old stuff that we plan to get to in the future, BUT we aim to continue to keep things that are recent up to date (so don't use the request form for this :P).
However you wish to provide the medium is up to you, whether it be through forum post or email or IRC. If you wish to email us or have us email you that's totally fine.
Can email me or michan to get our attention when you're ready, my email's altengenious@gmail.com (I forget what mich's is >_>). Or if posting on the forums is preferable that works too.

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 5:07AM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Thanks. I'll send you an email with the details and attach the zip file.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Well good thing I'm pulling an all-nighter and also procrastinating from the reason why I'm pulling an all-nighter.
It's up now.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Thanks. That was fast.

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 10, 2010

I have formed a new (very small) scanlation group named "Fly by Yuri" and we would like to upload our first project to dynasty scans. At this time there are no plans for a web site. Would I need to upload it to media fire and submit an upload request? I could give you our groups email and details on the project on the request form. Or is there a better way?

By the way, this is NOT an April fools joke.

I'm happy to see more Hiyori Otsu on the reader, but I think this release is unfinished. This is constructive well meaning critisism, I swear. Don't take it as a personal attack, I really am looking forward to more from your group if you have good enough taste to do Hiyori Otsu's work. So bear with me on this, I promise I'm not trying to be mean.

The dialog doesn't sound like natural English, and either needs to be proofed more efficiently or re-translated and proofed again from the beginning. Also, the dialog in the word bubbles is way too big. It needs to be smaller and more centered in the bubbles. IT LITERALLY READS LIKE SOMEONE IS YELLING ALL THE TEXT! Mata, romaji no nihongo wo shiyo shinaide kudasai. *

• For you BAKA GAIJIN who don't understand the master language that is Japanese, that means "Also, don't use roman character Japanese."

When you use things like -chan -san and -sama you start sounding like Ai-san. These are only acceptable when they're necessary to understand the relationship between characters better (this is a one-shot, so I don't find them necessary in this case because they don't really reveal much about the girls' relationships), or if it's incorporated into their name and identity of a character (like Ritchan-san from Fruits Basket for example). The use of "Star-sama" and "baka" on the other hand isn't tasteful. You could use something like "all powerful stars" or something, and "idiot".

Punctuation isn't optional, a sentence within a bubble should never end without punctuation unless it continues in another bubble. Sound effects can be with or without punctuation.

Since you're a brand new group, this is a good learning experience and I'd be willing to help with proofing if you hop in the IRC again, so please do your best on a second draft,

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 9:30AM

Untitled-1
joined Apr 1, 2013

I recommend a new font. That one does not fit in my opinion (or maybe changing the size is enough). Then, edit all the bubbles even if the dialog is just "..." because that detail is recognizable.
As to the use of English, I cannot add anything new since it is not my first language (and this has always been a complex matter). There are sometimes that you have to change a bit the original meaning in order to make the reading easier.
And I dislike romaji either. When I started studying Japanese, this was one of the first things I wanted to avoid the most. It reminds me that famous image of Kira saying "Just according to keikaku".

My solution would be to lent the translated chapter to somebody else outside the scanlation group and wait for his/her feedback. Or try to learn from more experienced groups.
And yet, this is just my opinion as a reader and Translation student so take it as you wish.

Practice makes perfect!

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 10:58AM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Thank you Anonko and Jacqli for the feedback; I was specifically looking for some.

I will agree that some of the language is stilted and needs improving. As to the size of the text, I admit that I was probably overacting to scanlations I have seen with way to small of text (though I haven’t noticed any on this site). Now that you mention it, it does seem kind of like shouting. Punctuation on every line and editing every bubble are fine with me either way, so I will go with what seems to be the norm, though I kind of like those vertical dots. As for the fonts, I don’t have most of the fonts commonly used for this. If I can get them cheaply, I’ll be glad to switch that. “Star-sama,” now that is awkward in English; I will try to come up with a good alternative.

Now about the use of “baka”, I have seen this used in many scanlations, and I felt it fit the flow of the story better. I agree “idiot” would work, but I would like more input before making that change. The use of –chan (honorifics) is common all over the place including many of the mangas at Dynasty scans as well as many licensed mangas. I do not like dropping honorifics in any kind of translation. It seems to me that the real problem here is that Makoto uses “Momo-chan” EVERY time she refers to Momo, never “you” or any other word. This gets old, so perhaps changing some of the usages to other words, or in some cases, dropping the name completely. Or perhaps changing something like “What will Momo-chan do?” to “What will you do, Momo-chan?”

In any case, I will see what I can do with it, and in a few days I will post a revision.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Pronoun replacement of names where appropriate is a good thing to do, especially to prevent the name being repeated over and over again. It's not a big issue in the Japanese language, but since everything in English can be said 4+ different ways, it's easily noticeable when something is repeated again and again, as seen in scanlations.
I highly recommend you check out fonts by Kimberly Geswein as they are not only free and numerous, but many of them good and useful. There of course will be missing fonts for certain situations, but if you're one to spend money on fonts, it can save you a penny here and there than when buying those commercial fonts.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Thanks. Twenty two pages of fonts... I'm sure I will find a number that are useful. Specifically, a quick look found 'Architect's Daughter' which looks like it might be useful. I will look through them.

last edited at Apr 1, 2013 5:30PM

Phyis Moderator
Midori-facepalm
Yuri Project
joined Dec 12, 2012

Thanks a lot for finally completing the book. My 2 cents:
- There are still quite a few dust specks fluttering around the pages
- Some of the page edges could use cleaning
- Use different fonts for different types of text (dialog, thoughts, narration, asides...) I don't have this book but I'd be surprised if everything was using the same font there.
- Try to avoid breaking off ellipsis, question marks or single characters to a new line, it looks really messy, especially if it's every other bubble or so.

Troid Uploader
Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

I'm going to suggest "use different fonts if and only if the original uses different fonts."

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Thank you for your suggestions. Now that I've thought about it, though I'm not sure, I can't remember "baka" being used by any of the major groups here. I will probably remove it. I do, however remember terms like sempai, kohai, and sensei (as a form of address) used.

I did spend quite a lot of time cleaning the images but I have no doubt that there is more. There are a couple of cases where I couldn't see a way to redraw the page-fold area, so I lightened it and used it as is. Also, I didn't really try to clean them out of heavily patterned areas, due to the difficulty and them being less obvoius; should I? I probably won't spend the time to go over every image with a fine tooth comb, but I'll see what I can do. Of course who knows what will happen when I get started; I've already spent hours going over a few of the images in minute detail. For what it is worth, I think the images are coming out cleaner on my new project, as I slowly improve my techniques.

As far as the font selection, I did use different fonts where the original differed. But until I choose and download new fonts, I have only the standard set, and I guess they don't look that different. I hope this will be fixed when I do that.

By the way, thanks go to Yuri Project. When I was trying to figure out what I was doing, I looked to their website for pointers. That helped me out a lot, though clearly I only tried to follow some of their standards.

Anyway, thanks again, everybody, for all the pointers and suggestions; I hope to start my revisions sometime today

joined Aug 7, 2011

I'm 90% certain this has already been mentioned, but it would be nice if stories in your "To Read" list were deleted from said list when marked as read. Additionally, it would be nice if there was a way to edit the reading lists, eg., being able to reorganize the list alphabetically, by date added, or whatever other criteria you choose (such as order of importance), or delete stories, etc.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Lililicious say they're going to put the downloads for Chatting at the Amber Teahouse, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Sweet Blue Flowers back up at the beginning of June. Does this hopefully mean they'll be added to the Reader again as well?

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

If they want it to be, then it will. They upload their own releases and we're fine with letting them decide what they want to be on the reader from themselves.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

K.K., Cool to know.

4og3pf8
joined Jan 27, 2012

I can't add any manga to my favourite list. Anyone having the same problem?

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

I can't add any manga to my favourite list. Anyone having the same problem?

Nope, just added several to my own favorites with no problems.

joined Nov 5, 2012

How do I add a chapter or author into my reading list on my ios device??
Thank you.

joined Nov 5, 2012

Another thing, I like that we have forum, but I'll suggest that we separate the manga discussion and general talk. That would be great! ;)

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

The page order for The page order for Come!Come!Erotick is all screwed up, can someone fix it please.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

The page order for The page order for Come!Come!Erotick is all screwed up, can someone fix it please.

Fixed.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Another thing, I like that we have forum, but I'll suggest that we separate the manga discussion and general talk. That would be great! ;)

Probably going to add something like the "News" button at the top, so you can click it to only show that type.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I'm 90% certain this has already been mentioned, but it would be nice if stories in your "To Read" list were deleted from said list when marked as read.

On my list of things to do.

Additionally, it would be nice if there was a way to edit the reading lists, eg., being able to reorganize the list alphabetically, by date added, or whatever other criteria you choose (such as order of importance), or delete stories, etc.

Yea, want to improve the viewing lists page. Not exactly sure how it, but it includes these things.

To reply you must either login or sign up.