Forum › 404: Men Not Found discussion

21stcenturyschizoidman
Firepunchforme
joined May 23, 2021

Man, Alternate Universe sure are scary!

joined Aug 27, 2021

"Just girls"....? Or"Cats" other name as puss- ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 1:23PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I'm fuzzy on the criteria for this tag. There are a lot of yuri with a girls only cast of characters. Only a few seem to earn a 404 Men not found tag.

Aad1217ee03a84ae2f55ba2988d97f47
joined Nov 9, 2021

one of my favs honestly

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

I do get confused. Does 404 mean 1. not a single male in the manga, literally? 2. just background character, for example, a pedestrian? 3. super minor character that has one or two lines only, and usually a couple of panels. A lot of times they are drawn without eyes, nose, etc, make the character "generic". If they say anything, it will be "gossip gossip gossip" or "......"(6 dots), something like that. Such as a passer by.?

joined Sep 28, 2017

I feel like this tag is (recently) being used a bit too much. At first I thought it was reserved for works that take place on an alternate world inhabited exclusively by women, so I really never bothered on reading them since I don't find that kind of stories interesting. But recently it seems to appear everywhere, even in old works that didn't have the tag before. I thought tags shouldn't be used if they aren't relevant for the story. And in some works is very clear that men do exist even if they don't play any role in the plot (for example we see them in the background or in photos). Again, my two cents. I know that "tags shouldn't be taken seriously" but c'mon, they have a function and if that function is seen as superficial, then why having tags at all?

last edited at Sep 25, 2022 8:15PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I feel like this tag is (recently) being used a bit too much. At first I thought it was reserved for works that take place on an alternate world inhabited exclusively by women, so I really never bothered on reading them since I don't find that kind of stories interesting. But recently it seems to appear everywhere, even in old works that didn't have the tag before. I thought tags shouldn't be used if they aren't relevant for the story.

It's likely the tag started appearing during that time because about 2000 old tag suggestions were reviewed and applied or denied during that time period.

I'm fuzzy on the criteria for this tag. There are a lot of yuri with a girls only cast of characters. Only a few seem to earn a 404 Men not found tag.

Tag updated for clarity. There are pretty specific criteria for what should and should not get the tag, which should now be clear. Basically, no men appear in the series even as background characters or family members.

And in some works is very clear that men do exist even if they don't play any role in the plot (for example we see them in the background or in photos). Again, my two cents. I know that "tags shouldn't be taken seriously" but c'mon, they have a function and if that function is seen as superficial, then why having tags at all?

I agree, tags should be applied consistently in order for them to work, even if they're joke tags. If you see any series tagged with this that have male characters in them, please suggest the removal of the tag. Similarly, if you run into series where every background character and family member is female even though there are no signs divorce or societal unrest, suggest the tag.

Ultimately, this is a gag tag poking fun at the absurd science fiction implications of these stories with no men in them (that also happens to work as a tag for sci-fi yuri where the men of died off). If joke tags aren't applied consistently, then they're no longer funny. An unfunny joke tag is heresy of the highest order.

There is also something to be said for an author going at lengths to not include men in their stories, and I can imagine readers who search this tag looking for such works appreciate they're actually getting to works where the author made a conscious choice to have a female-only series.

last edited at Mar 6, 2023 6:22PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.