Forum › 4 discussion

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

I love these moments with Flan and Alice together-

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Exhibit 9726489 for "Your favorite authors did Touhou doujinshi before they drew their own series."

joined Jul 20, 2011

...Sanae is still a good girl after all.

joined Mar 27, 2018

Exhibit 9726489 for "Your favorite authors did Touhou doujinshi before they drew their own series."

I swear that its some sort of requirement at this point. Not that I mind but it still blew my mind when I learned the authors of Bloom Into You also drew Touhou manga at some point.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I swear that its some sort of requirement at this point. Not that I mind but it still blew my mind when I learned the authors of Bloom Into You also drew Touhou manga at some point.

Haha oh yes she did. I think it's more because Touhou is so big, and there's so much yuri shipping potential in it, so authors on Dynasty Scan who do yuri had to have started somewhere right. A few might even have became interested in yuri through Touhou.

As for this collection of stories, as disjointed as they all were, I liked them? There are four main stories, and four days of Flandre throwing a tantrum over her bear, but I'm not sure how they're connected at all. I don't think they are. The Flandre at the beginning is pretty different from the Flandre with Alice though.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Touhou was huge back in the 2000s and early 10s, and fan conventions were a great place to exhibit your art, meet fellow authors, and get some vital experience before branching into original work. I'm not much of an expert with regards to art, but I'd argue that ZUN's brilliant character designs would probably be really fun to replicate and take inspiration from, and the same goes for the immensely entertaining cast and unique setting. Touhou just lends itself to speculation, fan creations and headcanons better than any other series I've encountered, while still maintaining an incredibly unique and distinctive identity, which is why you'll find nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world. Even now, when other, more accessible franchises like KanColle, Azur Lane, FGO as well as Love Live and BanDori have soared to incredible popularity, drawing Touhou art is still guaranteed to grab eyeballs and help you make a name for yourself on online platforms. The fact that the series manages to command such a loyal and dedicated fandom despite not having any official anime adaptations, major corporate sponsorship, or gacha games filled with drip-feeds of content and pandering is a testament to it's quality. In Touhou, the fans aren't just consumers, but active participants to an incredible degree, and the body of work they've produced over the years is, in my opinion, far more engaging and diverse than anything a single team of hired writers could ever achieve. In an age where the market is dominated by media specifically designed by suits and algorithms to pander to the fantasies of various otaku demographics, Touhou still retains that fiery, 90s-era indie-game spirit, and I think that's an actual goddamn miracle in today's world.

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

Maybe this is my own fault for speed reading but this didnt really make sense

joined Jun 5, 2018

Maybe this is my own fault for speed reading but this didnt really make sense

I think it made sense.

On another note, yeah, if you go on pixiv to the older, established artists (that didnt get popular recently by only draw fan service) you often see they started with touhou.

last edited at Jun 24, 2022 4:14PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.