Forum › Yuri Between A Werewolf and A High School Girl. discussion

joined Sep 25, 2018

I heard they weren't properly credited, but it was a mistake and simple to fix. I didn't hear anything about author actually selling it though.

He explicitly said it on his twitter that he was selling the doujinshi so it wasn't free. If you look up his prixiv.me account, he was selling this doujin there.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

LilLegalLoli94 posted:

I heard they weren't properly credited, but it was a mistake and simple to fix. I didn't hear anything about author actually selling it though.

He explicitly said it on his twitter that he was selling the doujinshi so it wasn't free. If you look up his prixiv.me account, he was selling this doujin there.

I only read thread and nobody mentioned it there.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

It's a shame really. I have bought manga after reading it here, even if the one I buy is in japanese, I can come and read it here and learn. I understand author being upset but he's being short sighted

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Jess posted:

It's a shame really. I have bought manga after reading it here, even if the one I buy is in japanese, I can come and read it here and learn. I understand author being upset but he's being short sighted

Yea, that is how I always look at it. It isn't like most people here would buy it anyway, since they don't read japanese and actual japanese won't go online to read something in english so it isn't really hurting author's sells since it wasn't taking into account foreign audience in the first place. I do understand it's more complicated issue than that, but in general people who wouldn't buy something in the first place, won't suddenly buy it just because it isn't available for free and most people who really enjoyed something will go out of their way to buy it when it's available for them or even in japanese, just to support stuff they like.

joined Sep 25, 2018

The link where the author has listed the doujin for sell: https://ziyu-kandume.booth.pm/items/877013
Technically speaking, scanlation is theft of intellectual property which is indeed a crime. It was the solution foreign readers relied on to be able to enjoy eastern works that they otherwise could not read. But perhaps it is time to look into a new solution that doesn't rely on stealing. It might be more difficult to do with major manga titles that are licensed by a publishing company, but maybe independent mangakas and doujin artists could work with translators to produce digital copies of their work that could then be sold online.
I get that you have your own opinion on the matter of how the original artist has handled the situation, but isn't it short sighted to also be upset because you can't have your way? Someone on the forums has said it before, this is the mangaka's work and if he doesn't want it freely distributed, you can't force him to ignore it. Otherwise, you're on the level of r/forexposure

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

But perhaps it is time to look into a new solution that doesn't rely on stealing. It might be more difficult to do with major manga titles that are licensed by a publishing company, but maybe independent mangakas and doujin artists could work with translators to produce digital copies of their work that could then be sold online.

Unlikely. I don't think many artists even consider that they might have a market overseas. As for working with translators, I faintly recall one such group mentioning (regarding officially TL works) that the artist was very skeptical for much of the proccess, because scanlators were known just as "the people who steal their works and put it on the net" by most artists. If this is the prevailing stereotype, I doubt we'll be seeing much colaborations of this kind any time soon.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

The link where the author has listed the doujin for sell: https://ziyu-kandume.booth.pm/items/877013
Technically speaking, scanlation is theft of intellectual property which is indeed a crime. It was the solution foreign readers relied on to be able to enjoy eastern works that they otherwise could not read. But perhaps it is time to look into a new solution that doesn't rely on stealing. It might be more difficult to do with major manga titles that are licensed by a publishing company, but maybe independent mangakas and doujin artists could work with translators to produce digital copies of their work that could then be sold online.
I get that you have your own opinion on the matter of how the original artist has handled the situation, but isn't it short sighted to also be upset because you can't have your way? Someone on the forums has said it before, this is the mangaka's work and if he doesn't want it freely distributed, you can't force him to ignore it. Otherwise, you're on the level of r/forexposure

Tfw?? It's more expensive than Futaribeya?? I buy digital copy of futaribeya because I cant pay for the shipping of a physical one. I buy it in Japanese but I can buy it because Amazon gives me options in English!

I dont think it is short sighted that we "didnt have it our way", it's basic marketing. How do you think music records have been able to survive "after the internet"? Nobody is saying they dont want to pay the artist. Just saying that they would like to pay if they actually understood the product...
I have many times wanted to pay for stuff but the author just doesnt give options in English!
Do you know this artist? If so, why don't you tell him that there are people who want to be their fans and even buy his product but that language is a problem? I mean, he already knows his product has been translated! Post the scans in English and sell it as an e-book for the rest of the world!

Granted, maybe the author doesnt want to be famous or sell stuff out from Japan. He only wants to sell to Japanese people. That's fair. And there's nothing that can be done about tha

joined Sep 25, 2018

Do you know this artist? If so, why don't you tell him that there are people who want to be their fans and even buy his product but that language is a problem? I mean, he already knows his product has been translated! Post the scans in English and sell it as an e-book for the rest of the world!

Granted, maybe the author doesnt want to be famous or sell stuff out from Japan. He only wants to sell to Japanese people. That's fair. And there's nothing that can be done about tha

I, unfortunately, don't know the author personally. It's just, after my moment of being immensely frustrated and upset and cursing the author for taking away the doujin before I could finish reading it, I calmed down and thought I wanted to know what this author was saying since someone somewhere posted his twitter. I read through the very rough google translations of his tweets and saw how sad and hurt he was to have his work put out without his knowledge or permission and it got me thinking about what I'm doing by reading scanlations because I never thought about it before.
Through his tweets, I know he had been looking at the forums, not so much now though, he's moved on to other work. But there was this one tweet where I think he was trying to say that one day the yuri we love and want to support will reach this side of the world. Though I'm not even sure if that's what he truly meant as translating Japanese to English through online translators alone is always off but I like to believe that's what he meant.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

So just to get this right:

The author/mangaka didn't like his work being posted on international sites, cried on twitter and therefor the work was removed? So... if the author knows about it the work gets removed, if not the internet/dynasty doesn't care? I mean... if we remove everything that was originally for sale dynasty would be pretty empty, wouldn't it?

On one hand I understand mangaka not being happy about their work being scanlated and posted on the internet. It's a somewhat dark-grey to black area of theft of intellectual property. On the other hand I'm really pissed about authors producing for Japanese people and giving a damn big fuck about the rest of the world - despite of having an easy and cheap possibility of releasing their work to international readers. I don't know if it's a form of racism or they really don't care about anything outside of their little island...

I would actually buy works, but without any form of online distribution for me as a reader, that would pretty much mean spending a few thousand € for a flight to Japan and back, getting the actual work as a physical copy and getting it translated by someone familiar with the genre.... In my country there are 3 or 4 big companies publishing licensed manga. But only the big sellers (Bleach, Dragonball... you name it) - they don't give a damn about yuri, argumenting that it wouldn't sell anyway. Despite not even trying to sell it. I think the main yuri manga that was/is being released it Citrus... and before it was Girl Friends I think.... At the same time they release a crap ton of BL each year....

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

wish i could reread the other one again sobs

Derp%20gal
joined Jan 19, 2019

A tomboy-ish looking girl with this short curly hair. OMG

joined May 11, 2018

This is a favorite of mine

joined Dec 31, 2019

For anyone interested, it looks like he worked with Elusive Translations & has this available on Amazon Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Werewolf-High-School-Student-Girls-ebook/dp/B0826H45NK/ref=nodl_#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Ohdear
joined Jul 12, 2017

Ooh, and bought.

55a20608b2e40f2ed7d556f190487535
joined Sep 23, 2020

I've gotta say this...
LESBIAN FLOOF

To reply you must either login or sign up.