Pretender discussion 03 Sep 16:33
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/pretender#37

"marketing majors am I right guys"

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I like trains

Deeply underappreciated form of transportation especially in the US. Not much slower than airplanes but a much more comfortable ride. What thus country did to rail expansion the minute they ran out of Chinese immigrants to exploit is frankly unconscionable

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Jeez it's like half the people that read this never read an ecchi series in there life if you want a wholesome slice of life yuri series this ain't it

Honestly one of the reasons I'm a bit sour on this series is that I have. The setup to the story is interesting but to turn it into every other sex gag manga is frustrating, doubly so when the punchline to the gag is "this is probably a crime". Potential totally wasted, especially since it's not like cartoon boobs are hard to find.

last edited at Aug 25, 2021 11:58PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Having a high school yuri story with sexual themes that is frank without being leery is so incredibly refreshing.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

The existence of the "Yuri hime special" is that the series isn't serialized there, I presume. Is it just a web comic or is it serialized in print somewhere?

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Finally some good fucking subtext

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

So Yukiko is capable of writing such stories... the more you know. Since it was Yukiko, it turned out to be more wholesome than expected

Honestly I'd say that over the whole of her work futaribeya is in many ways the aberration, especially if you include stuff like the 100 days of compensated dating light novel art. Very much works that focus their attention on the far edges of polite society.

muteKi
Nickelodeon discussion 19 Jul 15:32
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Can't believe they're turning this into a fighting game

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

There's only so much to fit in 4 panels but just threatening violence over a platonic relationship is fucked up on its own. I don't necessarily mean that this relationship is built on an abusive dynamic, an actual teenage girl flinching at the threat in that way is a clear sign of, as they say, problems in the home. Definitely a strong implication of very bleak shit even if it's not directly depicted on the page, and I don't think it really makes sense any other way.

last edited at Jul 15, 2021 5:07PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Highly uncomfortable, but not as bad as To Meet You Again was. Especially as Ako decided not to hit her after seeing how much she cared for her.

I actually think this is much darker honestly, given that the story seems to treat one of the characters as generous for not engaging in violent abuse. Puts the emotional abuse aspects into even sharper focus.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Adri_VolKatina posted:

Let's go read

This gets a chuckle from me. Thanks!

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I don't know many bikini armor games, but there is this terrible anime called Bikini Warriors if you like to suffer.

If memory serves... Isnt that a series of hentai shorts?

Pretty much, I think it was more on the ecchi side. Still brainless and bad.

@Shoggoth

Also there is nothing bad about Goblin Slayer. Goblins are monsters, not humans. In some settings you have female demons killing men or harpies ripping males appart. If anyone thinks getting abused, eaten or worse is some kind of lewd fanservice, they might have problems. Just think of the Xenomorph from Alien. They aren't a statement about some nation or meant as wank material, they are simply there to spook you.

You're... You're aware that the visual design of the Xenomorphs and their whole ecosystem is meant to represent the physical manifestation of threats of sexual violence right? I mean I expected missing the point in the thread but I didn't think it would be this bad

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I like it when the story draws attention to its fuckeduppitude right off the bat. Doesn't seem too over the top either like a lot of yandere stuff is, at least not. Yet

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Was the getting mad over the "eve. rain" thing because when abbreviated it looks like a double-entendre or similar? (In the original Japanese, I mean)

last edited at Jun 4, 2021 4:17PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

^But she sees guys as vegatbles right? so she cant be interesed in them

Well we don't know where she goes to meet men that at least interested her enough to get intimate with; no reason to believe they were people she met at work.

At the same time none left a strong enough impression for her to want to stay with them either

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Definitely Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. That game was one of the few to really understand the bleakness inherent in the 4x genre, and all the flavor was really funny.

muteKi
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I do think this is pushing on the melodramatic side (too shouty) but it otherwise still feels plausible. Any issues I have with pacing are more about chapter length than the directness of the narrative; it doesn't feel like it's stuck in a rut.

last edited at May 21, 2021 7:36PM

muteKi
Omegaverse discussion 17 May 20:14
Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

It's funny how Omegaverse steeps itself in some idea of a universal irresistible mamallian desire when almost all species that actually do mate for life are birds, though I suppose wolves actually do, even if the hierarchical stuff is mostly built off questionable research.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I think the main character being interested in Omegaverse mythology in a taking-seventeen-surveys kind of way is the sort of real-world plausibility that makes me a little interested in this.

I guess the whole "failed alpha" thing is kind of a way to brush away the more bioessentialist aspects of the setup too.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

After a bit of searching, I found the whole anthology on mangakalot.

Obviously, this chapter has been redrawn by Mikanuji before putting it in this collection.

The artwork is more detailed here than in the anthology.

Ah, I was wondering why the comment sounded so embarrassed about the art. Didn't realize it had been redrawn

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Girl sleeps with multiple guys.
"Oh well you see she is not technically bisexual, because she was also interested in her best friend at the same time."
Get real.

It's called Compulsive Heterosexuality, and it's something a lot of gay people experience before they come out to themselves or feel secure enough to come our to everyone else. See also: Bearding.

I believe the term is "compulsory", not "compulsive".

Compulsive heterosexuality I imagine would be like, I dunno, Jersey Shore or something

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I'm not sure I understand. My oven is electric

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

"Simp" is one of these words I just never knew existed, but at some point they start to appear everywhere for no discernible reason :P

The funny thing is it's actually really old slang. I'm kind of surprised it caught on again but then I feel the same way about "based" so I just intend to be a cantankerous old person, get off my gravel you mangy whippersnappers, etc