Forum › Good day to you, how about a game? discussion

joined Oct 10, 2016

thanks for reading the series

EHHHHHHH?! THAT'S ALL?!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Not on the same page at all for most of the chapter, but at least Sae finally noticed at the end that Chise really did enjoy their time together.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

I need learn to play mahong

Compressjpg20220512_150101
joined Jan 22, 2022

Another day of pretending I understand this game :3

last edited at Sep 19, 2023 11:24AM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

One could make a vague approximation to playing cards. As a gross oversimplification Mahjong is like a more complex round of Go Fish or smth.

Think of the different tiles (Pins, Bamboo, etc.) as the suits (Heart, Spades, etc). And yaku you need to win a round with are like the hands in poker, some higher value than others.

Everyone draws and discards a card in order, keeping the size of their hand the same. Players can fish the discards of others to help complete hands and everyone is trying to get a combinations of cards they can win the most points with.

A round ends either when someone completes a hand and wins with it or when the deck runs out of cards for a draw.

At its most basic, that's it really.

last edited at Sep 19, 2023 11:58AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Proper lady's first time at WcD's, always fun to see. :D

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

Proper lady's first time at WcD's, always fun to see. :D

Can't forget a classic. lmao

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

...I'm trying to think of any other game that this series could possibly be a thinly-veiled reference to besides Mahjong Soul (and that isn't Riichi City), but I got nothin'.

last edited at Dec 23, 2023 1:10AM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

One could make a vague approximation to playing cards. As a gross oversimplification Mahjong is like a more complex round of Go Fish or smth.

Think of the different tiles (Pins, Bamboo, etc.) as the suits (Heart, Spades, etc). And yaku you need to win a round with are like the hands in poker, some higher value than others.

Everyone draws and discards a card in order, keeping the size of their hand the same. Players can fish the discards of others to help complete hands and everyone is trying to get a combinations of cards they can win the most points with.

A round ends either when someone completes a hand and wins with it or when the deck runs out of cards for a draw.

At its most basic, that's it really.

True, but I think I'd say that it's probably a bit comparable to rummy, in which case the main rule distinctions (and admittedly there are many distinctions) tend to have to deal with how you manage the discard pile and actually declare a hand. Or for those who really like card games and prefer a deeper cut, Five Crowns, since that has a few more restrictions on how your hands end and something akin to the prevailing wind concept in its wild cards.

This really is a game that is easy enough to understand the basic ideas of how to have a winning or losing hand, but enough technical details beyond that to make it clear that it can take a lifetime to master.

Anyway I dabbled in playing online for a week or two just to see what it was like. It was, uh, cartoon slapstick noises

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Anyway I dabbled in playing online for a week or two just to see what it was like. It was, uh, cartoon slapstick noises

That's not you being bad, that's your opponent having the most amazing luck imaginable to get that hand...

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Here I thought I might have finally started to learn how to play Mahjong thanks to My Time at Sandrock, only for this chapter to come out and humble me immensely. I understood exactly 0% of what they were talking about with the 3P Mahjong.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I think the pages are out of order on this latest chapter

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

deltahalo241 posted:

I think the pages are out of order on this latest chapter

Yep. I think the '(' characters in the page IDs are confusing the sorter; they're getting compared like strings and not numerals

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Looks like we're about to get our 4th player soon as well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.