Forum › Posts by SadDoctor

SadDoctor
MokoMote discussion 20 Jan 23:32
joined Oct 5, 2016

the dick part its something i picture tomoko saying in the actual manga at some point.
Like the quote "if i was a boy ill may be having a boner right now" when she was smelling nemo's clothes.

Yeah, or when Tomoko was hanging out with her hot underclassman and thinking about how if she was a boy she'd totally NTR his girlfriend away.

Tomoko soooort of gets that she likes girls, but she just thinks of it as her being like boyish instead, or she thinks about how if she was a boy she'd be turned on right now - without admitting that as a girl she's plenty turned on.

joined Oct 5, 2016

oh god everyone is so nice and everything is so fucked up and no one just gets to be happy or even really seems to feel like they deserve to be happy

joined Oct 5, 2016

We all can agree that Asuka totally wants to get into Tomoko's pants, right?

The manga does a great job subtly letting us notice that she changed just to go over to Tomoko's. Like she was already wearing a cute outfit, instead of wearing that she changes into a sexy little black skirt that's totally not the kind of clothing you'd normally wear to go to a friends' house in the middle of the afternoon. She changes from cute and comfy to blatantly sexy.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Watamote isn't exactly yuri, in that it's not really a romance manga exactly. But it does definitely know it's about a gay character, Tomoko has always been into girls, but early on she's so worried about her social status in high school that all she cares about is getting a boyfriend, so she won't be a loser. It's actually a really good job of writing about someone whose gayness super shapes her behavior and her relationships, but who personally has no clue she's gay - or at least refuses to admit it yet.

As she's stopped worrying so much about being popular and doing Popular Girl Things, she's correspondingly stopped caring about boys. She's totally been crushing on Asuka for a while, and surprisingly Asuka actually seems into her back. None of this is exactly spelled out, but it's a lot more than just subtext, too.

joined Oct 5, 2016

I think these last couple of chapters brought back the best dynamic between Adachi and Shimamura, which feels like it had been missing for a little while.

Adachi is quite conscious now of her attraction to Shimamura and is awkwardly working to get them closer together.

Shimamura is still -kind- of in denial, but in the sense that she's just refusing to think about where any of this is going. Instead she just follows Adachi's lead and agrees to Adachi's requests, and lowkey wants Adachi to keep pushing. Everytime Adachi's request gets them closer Shima's really happy about it, but she still refuses to think about why that is.

It feels much more like a believable human relationship than when Shimamura's just being incredibly dense.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Calling someone just by their first name is pretty intimate. Close female friends might still do it, but it would be very casual, and Adachi and Shimamura are still waaay too nervous around each other to be that comfortable.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Oh and also I'm totally waiting for us to find out In volume 5 that shimamura engineered the whole alien girl sleepover, thereby occupying her little sister and letting shima stay with adachi.

I'm also fully expecting shima to insist that she only did it to make her little sis happy and that she had no opinion on it herself.

last edited at Dec 23, 2019 1:19AM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah lots of good stuff in those last two chapters.

• Nagafuji and hina both acting extremely pleased with themselves after their sexy bath together, to the point that even our clueless duo were super picking up on it.
  • Adachi just going for it. If I didn't know better I would've thought she was really going to smooch shima there when they were sleeping together.
  • Shimamura just happening to go shopping (which she hates) while Adachi's at work and then just happening to already have that exact jewelry and then just happening to give Adachi a frickin flower to wear in her hair. Oh and also that then her narration just doesn't mention it, because shimamura just refuses to acknowledge when she does gay shit.
  • shima keeps like spontaneously happy giggling at the smallest things when she's hanging out with Adachi .
  • shimamura actually taking the initiative on them sleeping together, though she acts like it's all just for adachis sake.
  • in class shima's like "maybe I'll just stare at adachi all day, this is nice" and both of them just blatantly being super pleased about the weekend.

last edited at Dec 23, 2019 5:28PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah, I think for the most part the story does a good job having shimamura be in denial more than actually being dense. Like you get the clear sense that she does understand where this is all going, but she's just refusing to think about it until/if things really happen.

But there are a few parts that do feel more like the author just stretching shit out, too.

I feel like I'm always complaining and I'm actually really enjoying it and looking forward to new releases! One reason I hate the stuff that feels like foot-dragging is cuz I think this author could explore a lot of interesting ground once they do start to get together.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah it's funny cuz whenever adachi isn't around shima is subtly missing her, when shima has to hang around others she's thinking about how it would be better with adachi... and then with adachi she's like... ok can I go home now?

Don't get me wrong im still enjoying the series, It just annoys me cuz it feels kind of artificial, like in the first volume or two the two of them were constantly lowkey flirting, finding excuses to touch each other, etc. Now they're circling around in a status quo, when there's such more interesting ideas the story could be exploring.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Shimamura is doing that thing again where like ok she has a semi-crush on this girl, even if she's in denial about it, and yet when they talk all she wants is to stop talking, and it kinda drives me crazy, lol.

Especially after shimamura kept like missing adachi in her last chapter!

I feel like when they do finally start to get together shimamura really needs to take the initiative, because right now she just doesn't feel like she deserves any of these girls devotion!

SadDoctor
The Next Big Yuri? 06 Dec 19:46
joined Oct 5, 2016

Adachi and Shimamura has a good chance thanks to the upcoming anime, I guess.

I'm kinda nervous about what direction the anime will go in.

Like if it's a bit more realistic and psychological it could be really good. There's a really nice like slow-burn romance there with both girls enjoying each others company and gradually figuring out why they're so into each other. And the author really is good at writing them flirting-without-quite-realizing-they're-flirting, make the most out of that stuff.

OTOH it could go very cute-girls-doing-cute-things, never really deal with just how gay they are, and be content with basically being a gals-being-pals sort of stereotypical yuri. And that would really suck.

joined Oct 5, 2016

It kinda felt like the author realized they were running out of pages for this chapter and rushed the whole blackmail setup into the last couple of pages. The art is nice, but hopefully it'll move away from this blackmail thing fairly quickly.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Thanks! Read the new stuff.
I actually liked the shimamura chapter. Tarumi is really putting in some work trying to hit on her, but Shima's just not as into it as when she's with Adachi. Like shima always plays apathetic, but with Tarumi she's not enjoying going along with things and she's relieved when alien girl shows up.

I didn't like the Adachi chapter as much, it feels like adachi has finally admitted that she loves shimamura like 3 times now. The fortune teller blatantly cold reading her was amusing though. Well have to see if things payoff in this volume.

Those two side chapters sure were gay though, huh? Little sis just hit puberty hard thinking about tasting fingers, and hino and nagafuji are both sneaky excited to take a bath together.

joined Oct 5, 2016

wait what? So where's the new chapter uploaded to?

last edited at Dec 2, 2019 4:22PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

This story is just WAY too much of a slow burn, I find it too hard to get into it. They still barely even interact with each other.

I was rereading through the first 3 volumes and this was something I noticed, especially in vol 3. Like for a romance series they don't actually spend much time together? Which is annoying, I liked in volume 1 even though they don't really know they're flirting yet, they can't help but constantly flirt or try to touch each other. It's very teenager. And Shimamura was really obviously into Adachi, she was just a bit more passive and more in denial about it.

But as the series has gone on... We still get little scenes now and then hinting that Shimamura cares more than she wants to admit, but there's also a lot of times Shimamura just comes across as genuinely uninvested in their relationship. It feels pretty jarring compared to their early scenes together.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

I feel like Haruka's giving those vibes as sort of a red herring.

Or well, not really a red herring, but like, she's said how she's messed up previous friendships by getting overly attached.

Us readers are like, yeah, cuz girl you're super gay and you crushed on your straight friends, you're not some horrible person who gets overly attached, you're just a normal teenager who happens to like girls.

But Haruka feels like she is, and so every time she gets more intimate with Kanae it's sort of got the tone of like, oh shit, she's gone too far this time, it's gonna screw everything up. Except that Kanae is also super into her right back, so they keep progressing their relationship, with them both obviously realizing that something more is going on by now than just being friends.

tl;dr: I think Haruka gives off those little yandere vibes because that's how she feels about herself, but she's actually just a kid with a crush who likes her back.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

One of the little Shimamura details I enjoy is everyone around her assuming that she has a boyfriend when she's getting ready to go to Adachi stuff. Even if she can't doesn't think she does, everyone else sure notices how much effort she puts in for Adachi.

last edited at Nov 5, 2019 3:01AM

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

I love that Haruko/Kanae chapter. Haruko's trying to act all casual, like she hasn't been staring at Kanae's hand and trying to think of an excuse to hold it. And then their little conversation about if Kanae is OK with it, and "it" is definitely understood by both of them as more than just holding hands one time.

edit: also how it starts off with Kanae's hand just loose in Haruko's grip, and then a few pages later and she's gripping Haruko's hand right back.

last edited at Oct 23, 2019 1:41PM

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

The whole boob fondling reminded me of how Ai and Chie started out, so I went back and re-read some early chapters, noticing a couple of things:
A: Damn, Chie used to be kinda an asshole.
B: Onoda was always super gay, and super pining for just all girls, an absolute key smasher.

Yeah, Onoda has been one of the absolute gayest girls since the very beginning. Like she is absolutely not single-target gay just for Haruka, she's always checking out the other girls.

We don't know as much about Haruka, but given her thoughts about how she's messed up previous friendships, she's apparently that way too.

I like their romance a lot, it feels a lot more "real gay" than most yuri I think.

joined Oct 5, 2016

I think the big change we saw in Shima comes from a bit of introspection after the trip to Nagoya with Tarumi, and then just the hilariousness of her "date" with Adachi following almost exactly the same pattern. Two trips to Nagoya and having to run for the train? Check. Overcrowded with only one seat in the corner? Check. Same chocolate store? Check. It was like her trip with Tarumi was simply an ironic practice run...

Yeah, it felt like Shimamura's thought process was like

"Man I'm being kind of a shitty friend to Tarumi. But then that's just how I always am. Well, no, I guess that's not true, I don't want to be like this to Adachi, she's important to me."

It's not like she had an Adachi-style "oh man I'm totally gay" moment, but it did kinda give her some clarity. Not that like she needs to make more of an effort for Adachi's sake, but that she wants to all on her own.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Big thanks for the awesome chapter dump, you guys are the best.

Regarding the books, god damn I was already bitching a little about Shimamura feeling just way too clueless, and now if anything she got even worse this volume! Like at least in previous volumes she had some lines which showed how she was very deep in denial, but this volume she just seemed straight-up clueless.

I guess if I'm being fair that's not entirely true, Shimamura's expending more effort now for Adachi's sake. Like when she's shopping for chocolate and her friend naturally assumes it must be for a boyfriend, or the message she posts, or the public hug when she obviously notices that everyone else around them is a hetero couple. But also goddamn it Shimamura, Adachi's running herself ragged obsessing over you and you barely even return her text messages!

I dunno, I think the series is best when its obstacles are more like the public pressure to conform and the girls' self-denial resulting from that, with the occasional splash of just horrible teenage awkwardness. It starts to drag a bit when it's just Adachi obsessing over an oblivious Shimamura.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

It's also that like, Kanae's been lowkey one of the gayest girls in the whole series. She's checked out multiple girls, and gets extra-flustered when anyone starts getting jokingly pervy. She just hasn't had anyone to get her gay on with until now.

joined Oct 5, 2016

It just seems weird though, because early on the whole point of them seeking out each other specifically was that they -weren't- just lonely. Konatsu asks herself why she's obsessing over this one girl instead of just hanging out with her classmates if she's so lonely, and she doesn't have an answer.

Like up until this arc the character development and writing was great, and it was subtle and rewarded close reading. And then we get to this arc and I don't get why the characters are making their decisions or doing what they're doing.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

Do you think Kaoru actually likes Mask or if she just likes the thrill of pursuing a girl who can't fall for her charms

I don't think even kaoru knows