Forum › Shoujo-Ai vs. Yuri

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Shoujo ai? what's that?......casuals...
I've saw the Shoujo ai tag used on an anime site and there was no Yuri tag, some anime didn't even have it either just stuff like school life etc. I hope everyone drops the term someday...

AnAsianBrony
Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Shoujo Ai is just yuri without sex, it has nothing to do with pure.
The term was coined to separate hentai content from non hentai content, but it really is redundant because the whole goal of the word yuri is to say there's lesbians in it, you can just use a hentai tag afterwards if there's sex or ecchi if it's slightly more explicit, but to use the word shoujo ai which is just girls love is completely redundant.
And if you're going to say it's for those more undertone things, well that's called yuri subtext or undertone. You don't go around inventing different romance genres depending on the amount of romance do you?
Shoujo Ai is a redundant genre that really needs to stop being used, just use yuri if there's two girls in love or don't if there's not, there can be varying degrees of yuri but there's certainly not some point where you have to call it shoujo ai instead.

Er, regarding your first line.

The hentai vs. non-hentai was what I had intended for "pure" to represent... In that case, mind clarifying what you interpreted "pure" as? I don't want to be the one confused or confusing people, lol.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

why are we even on page 3

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Because if The Sun wont do it, we have to.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Because there aren't quite enough posts to reach page 4 yet.

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

Er, regarding your first line.

The hentai vs. non-hentai was what I had intended for "pure" to represent... In that case, mind clarifying what you interpreted "pure" as? I don't want to be the one confused or confusing people, lol.

Pureness here is relative to morals, therefore there's only a loose definition of it one can apply. You can say it means untainted, usually by things of a sexual nature, but by some standards just the yuri itself is considered immoral, much similarly to yaoi being considered "rotten". For example would you say yuri incest is pure? It's certainly considered immoral by quite a lot of standards, so even if there wasn't anything sexual going on, do you call it shoujo ai? And this type of loose arbitrary terminology is what i really dislike.
If you're just saying pure as not involving sex, then it goes back to the redundancy of it all.
Also by loose definition, yuri, which means lily, can symbolize purity as well as most of the symbolism attached to lilies is related to chastity and whatnot. And we all here know yuri is the purest love there is~

And we're on page 3 because circlejerk!

last edited at May 10, 2015 7:44AM

Cyfer Uploader
513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

The little imoutos here are still working things out; give them some time.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Because websites like MAL still use the Shoujo-Ai tag and confuse people.

Akashic Records
Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

I remember there was a forum called shoujo-ai.com (that or shoujo-ai.net) once. No wonder I can't find it anymore, it seems quite a number of ppl hate that term...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I just read it, http://www.yuricon.com/what-is-yuricon/#whatisyuri, and even here it says same thing I said:

"Shoujoai wasn’t ever really used in Japan – although they understood what was meant if western fans used it. If they did use the word, they meant it in the sense of adults who had a fetish for young girls."

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

But from what I searched "shoujo ai" and "shounen ai" as terms are something made by westerners, for japan it's just two words used normally in whatever context they want, shoujo and shounen don't mean child but anyone that's not adult, like adolescents, so when they use shoujo ai/shounen ai they're not using it as a "term" like westerners, but just using it normally, the same as if we said that someone old like young girls/boys instead of saying adolescents, sure shotacon and lolicon is something that wouldn't be used in news, but they're much more correct than saying that shoujo ai/shounen ai = pedophile, since shoujo/shounen doesn't mean child in any way just someone young, if they wanted to say children they would use kodomo, japanese is a language naturally ambiguous, so you can't put a definitive meaning to something like shoujo ai/shounen ai, if a young girl only like young girls/boys like herself and don't feel atracted to adult's in any way she would also say something like shoujo ai/shounen ai, or use suki instead of ai, or something like that, I don't know japanese after all, but if she used shoujo ai/shounen ai that would not mean in any way that she's a pedophile, it all depends on the context.

And since we're talking about japanese and pedo, do they even really have a word to call pedophiles? because shoujo ai and shounen ai definitely not terms for that, they're probably just use that words to say the pedophile they talked about like them young, since it must sound better than saying that he like children/kodomo, because if they used shoujo/shounen specifically for children, what would they use for rapist who like adoslescents? because shoujo/shounen area also used to talk about adolescents.

If I said anything stupid please someone correct me... ( - 3 - )

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 5:38PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

^lolicon.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

^lolicon.

Not counting lolicon and shotacon of course, I mean a specific word like pedophile for us.

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 5:58PM

joined Dec 16, 2013

no i guess. why? mainly cause it's a new thing and pretty much only western countries north america. europe, consider it's as a problem.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Shounen ai (少年愛) is pederasty.
Shoujo ai (少女愛) is basically a synonym of lolicon.

It looks like they actually just use the word paedophilia (ペドフィリア) although there are some related terms such as 小児性愛 ('shouni seiai'), 児童性愛 ('jidou seiai'), and of course shotacon/lolicon.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

koneko

no i guess. why? mainly cause it's a new thing and pretty much only western countries north america. europe, consider it's as a problem.

Wait, did you say only westerners consider pedophiles a problem...? I'm pretty sure most of the world see this as a big problem, except maybe those countries where you can marry children, I remember seen in the news a 8 year old girl died of bleeding because her "husband" had sex with her...

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 6:06PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Shimapanda

Shounen ai (少年愛) is pederasty.
Shoujo ai (少女愛) is basically a synonym of lolicon.

It looks like they actually just use the word paedophilia (ペドフィリア) although there are some related terms such as 小児性愛 ('shouni seiai'), 児童性愛 ('jidou seiai'), and of course shotacon/lolicon.

So lolicon/shotacon is used by more people to talk about pedophiles and not just by otakus like Nevri said in another thread?

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 6:07PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

So lolicon/shotacon is used by more people to talk about pedophiles and not just by otakus like Nevri said in another thread?

Dude. You tell a regular person you're into lolicon anywhere in the world and they'll assume you're a paedophile.

The terms themselves even have an origin in sexual attraction to children (Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, for one).

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Shimapanda

Dude. You tell a regular person you're into lolicon anywhere in the world and they'll assume you're a paedophile.

The terms themselves even have an origin in sexual attraction to children (Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, for one).

Hey, tell that to Nevri, he's/she's the one that said shoujo ai/shounen ai are used to talk about pedophiles, and not lolicon/shotacon because supposedly only otakus use those terms.

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 6:15PM

joined Dec 16, 2013

koneko

Wait, did you say only westerners consider pedophiles a problem...? I'm pretty sure most of the world see this as a big problem, except maybe those countries where you can marry children, I remember seen in the news a 8 year old girl died of bleeding because her "husband" had sex with her...

western influence....

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

And here I was making long respond... Yea, I checked japanese wiki too and it's pretty much as Shimapanda said. Also the fact that they just use pedophilia as their word for pedophilia isn't surprising me in the slightest.

I admit I only know that thing about shounen ai, cos my professor commented on it and I never heard about it again, so I was afraid I might be wrong or missing something, while I can't check it in any way. I'm glad someone could clear it up.

That thing about lolicon/shotacon was my wild guess. Seems like I was wrong. Again, my knowledge was limited, so I'm happy someone could confirm it.

he's/she's

She

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 7:16PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Almost all of us have limited knowedge about japanese things, fortunately in Dynasty you can ask about anything and have a good answer, unlike a lot of sites that are full of assholes that don't say anything useful.

Nevri

She

Good to know.

koneko

western influence....

Of course, they always need to ruin anything fun... of course I'm totally kidding, yeah, let's not talk about this...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Shimapanda

Hey, tell that to Nevri, he's/she's the one that said shoujo ai/shounen ai are used to talk about pedophiles, and not lolicon/shotacon because supposedly only otakus use those terms.

I read too fast, I think you kinda missed the point. Shimapanda just meant that knowing what lolicon means, it makes you pedophile anywhere you say it.

I can't check it. It just sounded logical that term that was created in otakus circles would be used by them and rest would use something else. Maybe it become popular enough that rest use it too now. I don't live in Japan so I have no idea.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

A true lolicon never touchs a little girl, we love them in a completely platonic way, thats why we would never do anything to one, and the fact that most little girls don't keep secrets... of course I'm joking again, or not...? You never know!

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Btw. I love lolis. I'm a girl, so its ok, right ;3?

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 7:26PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.