Forum › The Tiles That I Cannot Cut Are Next to None! discussion

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I can't believe I reached this far in this manga even though I don't even understand a thing about mahjong.

literally me LOL

The cliffhanger would be more cliffhangy if I understood what that pon at the end implies!

Akyuu discarded the 4 man anticipating Youmu's 1-4 wait, but since she called pon on the west wind now she's waiting for the 3 man, which is still in Akyuu's hand. Every single tile in her hand gives somebody else the win, so unless she draws a safe tile she HAS to deal into somebody's hand.

If I had to guess she'll (begrudgingly) deal into Youmu's hand, since while that'll give Youmu the win it'll also keep Akyuu in 2nd. Technically she could deal into Doremy's or Shou's hand and still get 2nd place, but that'd eliminate Youmu which would end the plot prematurely.

I've been really invested in the story while not knowing much about mahjong. This was really helpful, thanks!

joined Jun 5, 2018

I can't believe I reached this far in this manga even though I don't even understand a thing about mahjong.

literally me LOL

The cliffhanger would be more cliffhangy if I understood what that pon at the end implies!

Akyuu discarded the 4 man anticipating Youmu's 1-4 wait, but since she called pon on the west wind now she's waiting for the 3 man, which is still in Akyuu's hand. Every single tile in her hand gives somebody else the win, so unless she draws a safe tile she HAS to deal into somebody's hand.

If I had to guess she'll (begrudgingly) deal into Youmu's hand, since while that'll give Youmu the win it'll also keep Akyuu in 2nd. Technically she could deal into Doremy's or Shou's hand and still get 2nd place, but that'd eliminate Youmu which would end the plot prematurely.

Thank you!

joined Apr 24, 2020

The extras/afterwords of books 1, 2 and 3 have been added.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch5_5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch10_5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch17_5

I hope to keep doing them as volume 4 and so on come out, but unfortunately they'll always be lagging behind somewhat as the chapter translations themselves are done off the web version.

2022-09-04%2010_34_23-cirno,%20fujiwara%20no%20mokou,%20rumia,%20kamishirasawa%20keine,%20mystia%20lorelei,%20and%203%20more
joined Aug 10, 2022

The extras/afterwords of books 1, 2 and 3 have been added.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch5_5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch10_5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch17_5

I hope to keep doing them as volume 4 and so on come out, but unfortunately they'll always be lagging behind somewhat as the chapter translations themselves are done off the web version.

Now the sudden marisa focus in the kaguya chapter makes a lot more sense. She's been the Mahjong B-plot for far longer.

Thanks for your hard work!

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Tewi was so cute and childlike this chapter! Nothing like the pranking, scheming, manipulative Tewi we normally see.

last edited at Feb 17, 2023 8:22PM

joined Jun 5, 2018

Arent their abilities kind of overlapping at this point? I mean, what happens if Kaguya, Sanae, Tenshi and Reimilia are on one table?

joined Jul 22, 2021

Arent their abilities kind of overlapping at this point? I mean, what happens if Kaguya, Sanae, Tenshi and Reimilia are on one table?

We haven't really seen Remilia in action yet so no clue on what she does but the other three are actually fairly different. Sanae's ability gives her a tenhou/chiihou whenever she starts losing, which we already saw Youmu get around by sending her into the negatives in one shot.

Tenshi's ability is actually a bit trickier, since it isn't that she's getting tenhou because of the blessing of a god or something like that. If we take what she said at face value she is stacking the wall and rigging the dice throw not through classic cheating like Marisa but through supernatural means. Essentially it's Marisa's strategy except she can't be directly stopped, can alter all walls instead of just the one in front of her, and on top of that she probably doesn't have the limiter of "needing to be losing". If I had to guess the way around it is for Marisa to mess with the wall after it's already been stacked by Tenshi, but that'll be impossible without Sekibanki's cooperation and even then a couple things would have to line up (such as Tenshi going for a double riichi instead of just getting tenhou again, which I think we can assume she did out of hubris?). Either way we'll probably find out more in the next chapter.

As for what'd happen if those 4 played in the same table, unless Remilia's ability overruled it, I would say Kaguya wins. As long as her ability is in effect there's no escaping a tie. Marisa had to basically hold her hostage by breaking the rules in order to force her to disable it, so unless the other three tried the same the princess would have the win on the bag. Or not. Maybe they'd just keep playing forever.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

This rendition of Tewi continues to be absolutely cute. And Marisa completely out-manuvered Tenshi.

2022-09-04%2010_34_23-cirno,%20fujiwara%20no%20mokou,%20rumia,%20kamishirasawa%20keine,%20mystia%20lorelei,%20and%203%20more
joined Aug 10, 2022

Tenshi can manipulate the wall, but that doesn't help if Marisa decides to blow a hole in them.

joined Jun 5, 2018

If this wasnt majhong - which apparently it isnt - but a roast festival, Tenshi would have taken the W and the whole circus.

And Marisa almost blowing up Tenshis head to win and humiliate her probably made Tenshi wet, considering her Masochistic tendencies.

joined Jun 5, 2018

We haven't really seen Remilia in action yet so no clue on what she does but the other three are actually fairly different. Sanae's ability gives her a tenhou/chiihou whenever she starts losing, which we already saw Youmu get around by sending her into the negatives in one shot.

Tenshi's ability is actually a bit trickier, since it isn't that she's getting tenhou because of the blessing of a god or something like that. If we take what she said at face value she is stacking the wall and rigging the dice throw not through classic cheating like Marisa but through supernatural means. Essentially it's Marisa's strategy except she can't be directly stopped, can alter all walls instead of just the one in front of her, and on top of that she probably doesn't have the limiter of "needing to be losing". If I had to guess the way around it is for Marisa to mess with the wall after it's already been stacked by Tenshi, but that'll be impossible without Sekibanki's cooperation and even then a couple things would have to line up (such as Tenshi going for a double riichi instead of just getting tenhou again, which I think we can assume she did out of hubris?). Either way we'll probably find out more in the next chapter.

As for what'd happen if those 4 played in the same table, unless Remilia's ability overruled it, I would say Kaguya wins. As long as her ability is in effect there's no escaping a tie. Marisa had to basically hold her hostage by breaking the rules in order to force her to disable it, so unless the other three tried the same the princess would have the win on the bag. Or not. Maybe they'd just keep playing forever.

I dont think Sanae needed to lose, since apparently winning by getting the best outcome over and over again would definitely put you out of danger zone. But yes, she had a cooldown.

In hindsight, Tenshis ability is really underwhelming if you consider the fact that Marisa could do the same but without any restriction, only overruled by supernatural abilities. And since Tenshi physically does something, she would automatically lose against "reality changing" abilities such as Kaguya and Sanae, at least former proved to change the tiles Marisa cheated with.

joined Jul 12, 2020

I dont think Sanae needed to lose, since apparently winning by getting the best outcome over and over again would definitely put you out of danger zone. But yes, she had a cooldown.

In hindsight, Tenshis ability is really underwhelming if you consider the fact that Marisa could do the same but without any restriction, only overruled by supernatural abilities. And since Tenshi physically does something, she would automatically lose against "reality changing" abilities such as Kaguya and Sanae, at least former proved to change the tiles Marisa cheated with.

I believe that the tile in this setting works in Schrodinger's cat logic. So as long as the title remained unknown, its value can be changed with reality alter power. However, once someone manages to know the tile, it will remain as a fixed value. It is like Akyuu power vs Shou power. Shou power does not work once Akyuu manages to remember all the tile positions and values. However since Tenshi power changes the tile value through physic manipulation, it bypasses this restriction and can be used regardless. Also, I don't think Kaguya ever change Marisa's tiles, at least the one Marisa already has knowledge about(hand, maybe wall too, etc). She only changes the tile that other player doesn't know(from dealing) or even alter players' decisions to force draw repeatedly.

joined Jun 5, 2018

yeah, true, actually I did come to that conclusion one discussion page ago, but forgot. I am glad the author was considerate towards us ignorant masses and boiled majhong down to rock paper scissors then, since each ability type has such an overwhelming advantage over the other that it essentially is just that.

joined Jun 5, 2018

so finally, youmu has become the final boss of the table! (And whats up with yuyuko having an useful ability? I thought she explicitly stated otherwise?

joined Jun 5, 2018

I wonder when this will continue

joined Jun 5, 2018

My prayers have been answered, my question as well.

Did yuyuko just stab youmu in the back? From her facial expression - the only thing I can understand, it looks like it.

joined Jun 5, 2018

The "tile"... text boxes are the best

joined Aug 10, 2022

so finally, youmu has become the final boss of the table! (And whats up with yuyuko having an useful ability? I thought she explicitly stated otherwise?

Like i said on the last page, she never said she didn't have a useful ability. She just encouraged youmu to refine the fundamentals to a razor edge, which youmu took to be her gently compensating for Youmu's lack of a unique ability. She never said she didn't have one.

joined Sep 19, 2023

I've come to really like this doujin having just started getting into mahjong (and Saki, of course). I enjoy having Marisa and Youmu being opposite-ended protagonists especially. Here's hoping Remilia gets the match she wanted, considering she most likely fated this to happen.

Just made an account for this site because I wanted to post this edit I made as a joke. The context from that chapter was just too perfectly shaped for it: https://i.imgur.com/OwAdiJ8.png

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I do love seeing everyone cheat either by using their abilities or by simply normally cheating, while Youmu plays entirely fair even though she could if she wanted to use her ability to look at every tile on the table and have constant perfect information, which would not only negate several other people's abilities (because their abilities depend on swapping the unknown tiles around) but also mean that she'd be fully capable of playing around everyone else because she'd have perfect information.

Good on her, though it's fun to think that Youmu pretty much always cutting the correct tiles is also a manifestation of her ability.

last edited at Oct 11, 2023 4:23PM

joined Jun 5, 2018

Yeess, bully Akyuu! Make that girl cry! Go Marisa!

joined Jun 5, 2018

I do love seeing everyone cheat either by using their abilities or by simply normally cheating, while Youmu plays entirely fair even though she could if she wanted to use her ability to look at every tile on the table and have constant perfect information, which would not only negate several other people's abilities (because their abilities depend on swapping the unknown tiles around) but also mean that she'd be fully capable of playing around everyone else because she'd have perfect information.

Good on her, though it's fun to think that Youmu pretty much always cutting the correct tiles is also a manifestation of her ability.

how would youmu do that?

joined Jun 5, 2018

Why did marisa not want to eliminate akyuu right then and there?

joined Apr 24, 2020

Why did marisa not want to eliminate akyuu right then and there?

If you mean chapter 29, supposedly 24,300 points was simply the most she could get out of Akyuu in that instant.
If you mean chapter 30, she felt she had to slow down if she didn't want to risk being countered by Remilia or Youmu.

joined Dec 15, 2023

how would youmu do that?

Way way back when she was playing Rumia, to counter her hand being covered in darkness she learned how to perceive the tiles with closed eyes, by harnessing the "inner eye" she uses in combat. She notes how she could probably use this ability to look at the other players' hands as well, but decides against it because she doesn't want to cheat. It's never brought up again. (Well, not that I remember.)

last edited at Dec 17, 2023 8:00PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.