Forum › Baggata Way discussion

Credit
joined Jul 14, 2013

I love this manga <33

It would be so cool if they would make an anime of this :D

Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

oh gosh! i am so in love with this! so many shippable characters. the father x mother chemistry of the captain and vice captain. deko-chin and bandanna girl. the mini cooper twins with very cute chibi octopus martians. the moshidora mc counterpart kuumin (damn x and y, so annoying not just in math. i guess s and m are better as danchou stated). and my favorite sadist/tsundere/mysterious shi-shama!

and what they said ^

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

abandoned

why?... I really hate when this happens and by the looks of it no one has picked it up...

last edited at Oct 21, 2013 12:42AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Somehow this gives off same mood as Amano Kozue works (Aria / Amanchu)

1259340236_9555_full
joined Feb 8, 2013

Cih, why is it a good manga always end up half way...

Kawaii_00015143
joined Jan 31, 2013

well .. we just wait .. maybe one of a good translator will have a time to translate .. it's just too frustrating that, when someone starts to translate and later abandoned it. when the story gets to its very interesting chapter it was suddenly abandoned .. hehe .. but let's just wait.. :)

joined Nov 30, 2011

Woohoo!!! I'm so happy to see this here! I loved this from the moment I read years and years ago and have reread this series dozens of times since then. I'm hoping this gets picked up by someone but I feel like it'll get more viewers here.

Thank you so much OrangePekoe!!

-Edit-

Somehow this gives off same mood as Amano Kozue works (Aria / Amanchu)

And this is actually how I found it years ago when I was reading Aria and YKK.

And this has so many great moments like when everyone finds out about her "natural" talents, the intro of the mini-cooper, the practice match which was more than epic, etc. So much fun.

last edited at Dec 6, 2013 2:15AM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Damn. Really wish this could have gotten picked up by some other group and continued. Apparently the series goes up to Vol. 10! (At least from what I've read elsewhere.) If only I had the translation skills of a god :(

Capture_001_18092013_1154032
joined Mar 2, 2012

Damn. Really wish this could have gotten picked up by some other group and continued. Apparently the series goes up to Vol. 10! (At least from what I've read elsewhere.) If only I had the translation skills of a god :(

Well guess we are all somewhat lucky now, seems like someone has picked it up for atleast volume 3-4. :D

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Really?? Where did you hear that?

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Awesome!!! Thanks for the heads up!!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

http://stubbornone.blogspot.se/2014/05/baggataway-14.html

Thanks for pointing this out! Chapter 14 is now up, quite looking forward to more.

palakangorange
Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

So much adrenaline rush after rereading this, wow for the update!
And the idol couple Setami, I ship them, yes yes, more couples please.

last edited at May 31, 2014 2:13PM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Oooh, glad to see this have been picked up ! I really like that manga, especially the "mini cooper" duo. <3

Another_random_anime_girl_render__by_bakachasity-d5qdads
joined Feb 8, 2011

Awesome! This is thrilling...can't...stop...reading. owo

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

What was the crowd's reaction at the end there?? Were they booing or just being completely silent??

Also, awesome update!

Also it seems like it'll take a hiatus once the next semester starts up, just an FYI for people:
"Disclaimer: I can't finish this. Estimate being able to translate leftovers of v3 and v4 before semester starts again"

last edited at Jun 4, 2014 4:02AM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Some random character development during the middle of the match this chapter.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Wow...this is quite the dramatic game lol. In all of my 15 years of playing sports I don't think I have ever had any speeches come close to the one that happens in this chapter lmao.

joined Sep 12, 2014

I love this manga <33

It would be so cool if they would make an anime of this :D

It would be amazing if they made an anime of this
Sport anime that isn't male-centric, or even sometimes just having a female character as anything but a background character or a love interest is extraordinarily rare
It's hard enough to find sport manga with female leads
And quite a lot of those have the character having to cross dress to play the sport
And a well written story with diverse characters like this?
That would be fantastic

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Oooh, new chapter, make me happy ! Love that series, hope to see more updates soon.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Awesome! Didn't realize there was a new chapter released.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Sorry for barging in... I figured this would be as good a time as any, with StubbornOne's latest release being uploaded here.

I've been reading this for a few years now and as it turns out, not having anyone to fangirl/fanboy with over an unpopular series turns you into a mildly obsessive fan. So I'm just going to dump some info on the yuri content here in case anyone is interested or hesitant to start reading, and then I'll go back to lurking.

Compared to other female-centric sports manga that last more than 3 volumes, I'd say that Baggataway has less yuri subtext than Saki (if you consider Saki to be a sports manga in a way), but more than... almost everything else? Seriously, yuri is criminally underrepresented in sports stories.
I'm using spoiler tags, but I will only mention the relationships between the characters, nothing related to the games or the characters' background.

First off, a clarification: chapter 11 introduced a bunch of male characters, and for a while I was worried this meant that some of the main girls would be paired off and that Baggataway would turn out to be yet another sports/manga with as much focus on romance as sports, but I never once got the feeling that they were intended to be love interests for any of the girls. One of them has a crush on one of the girls, but so far he has managed to talk to her exactly once, and he promptly got a nosebleed and ran away, and then another character basically laughed in his face and told him "unrequited love is hard". The journalist guys are mostly there for exposition about lacrosse rules and comic relief. Of course, there's always the possibility that the last chapter will introduce romance with zero foreshadowing, but at this point it seems highly unlikely.

As for the yuri subtext, the main character gets a rival in volume 5, but their interactions make them seem more like best friends or soulmates than rivals. They even use the red string of fate metaphor. The rival is half-Australian and her gaijin upbringing is used as an excuse for her to be very affectionate with Sora (hugs, kiss on the cheek). She basically becomes Sora's reason to get better and win.

Danchou is definitely a baby lesbian. Her crush on the captain can be seen from space, but later on she also gets a crush on Jinnoharu, the captain's rival, and their interactions are great. It's most likely one-sided though.

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but I'm fairly sure that Chikushi's captain, Shihatsu, and her best friend, Ichizaki, are a couple. They're the closest thing to a couple in a series with no romance, in any case. They have a few very sweet scenes together, including a flashback to the time when they started calling each other by their first names that's full of romantic overtones and symbolism. They worry about each other, they occasionally hold hands and at one point they share a hug that didn't seem platonic in the slightest.

If you like shipping rivals, Shihatsu also has chemistry with Jinnoharu. Their teams play each other again later on and stuff happens, but to sum up they're both very important to each other. Some of Jinnoharu's teammates actually assumed that they were a couple. In fact, the second Chikushi vs. Kokura Central game can be seen as the expression of a love triangle. I swear it seemed like Ichizaki and Jinnoharu were fighting over Shihatsu at times. Jinnoharu has subtext with her best friend Sakai as well (some of their teammates also thought that they were together).

There's a few more pairings that technically don't really have any subtext but look good together, and the absence (for the most part) of love interests means you can let your imagination roam free. With such a large cast, there's a lot of different pairing types: childhood friends, ojou-sama and servant, teammates who work together reluctantly, senpai and kouhai... The list goes on.

There you go. I'm not sure whether any of this was actually useful to anyone, so as an apology for probably wasting your time, have some (badly translated and edited) Setamii cuteness.
And some Kanna x Shiho yuri service.
These are omake pages that some stores sell with the tankoubon. There are two more that are sort of yuri, but I haven't been able to track them down yet.

If you want more spoilers (plot, characters, specific pairings), just ask.

I hope the translations do get there eventually... If they don't, I've just been a complete asshole and teased stuff that will never get translated. I'm grateful that four volumes have been scanlated, in any case, and I hope that there's more to come.

TL;DR: Strong subtext, several pairings to choose from, no het romance involving any of the main characters as of volume 11. It's also a pretty good sports manga if you like the genre.

300129l_-_kopie
joined Jul 27, 2013

Compared to other female-centric sports manga that last more than 3 volumes, I'd say that Baggataway has less yuri subtext than Saki (if you consider Saki to be a sports manga in a way), but more than... almost everything else? Seriously, yuri is criminally underrepresented in sports stories.

I still remember there was another sports manga with strong GL subtext that started to be scanlated somewhere around the same time... Kettama! Though sadly that one also had its translation dropped/or the group scanlating it went belly up. Would have loved to see how that one went.

As for Baggataway never really spent much thought about the yuri subtext. OK, I mean the cap and Ichi have had a certain vibe to them. And Jinnoharu too. But I mainly enjoyed it because of Sora. Always had a thing for this mainly positive genki oddballs. And the others also fit really well in too with the atmosphere. Somehow it reminds me a little of Amano Kozue's works. Maybe not quite as iyashikei as for example Amanchu and a little more focus on the sport itself, but somehow I feel a certain resemblance.

Kjraze
joined Mar 3, 2014

Shihatsu's evil aura for the guy interested in Ichi almost made me cry ;v;
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/baggata_way_ch11#27

Honestly, as much as I love yuri focused manga and yuri with heavy subtext, this kind of manga where the group dynamic is most important but they also don't shy away from hinting at yuri without demeaning it or making it fanservice and I really enjoy that <3

To reply you must either login or sign up.