Forum › The Diligent Senpai and the Delinquent Kouhai discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yeah, this actually happened somewhat recently. A student with blonde hair was told to dye it black even though it was her natural color. I don't remember for sure what the outcome of that story was but I think she was allowed to keep her natural hair color in the end.

If only...

I hope she sues their asses to the next millenium.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I suppose it wasn't her real hair colour? If she was telling the truth and they insisted it be dyed just so she fit in, they could all go die in fire for all I'd care. She shouldn't need to blend in and pretend - but Like I said she was probably lying.

Welcome to fucking Japan.

Yeah, this actually happened somewhat recently. A student with blonde hair was told to dye it black even though it was her natural color. I don't remember for sure what the outcome of that story was but I think she was allowed to keep her natural hair color in the end.

If only...

Welp, that's a special kind of infuriating.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

I suppose it wasn't her real hair colour? If she was telling the truth and they insisted it be dyed just so she fit in, they could all go die in fire for all I'd care. She shouldn't need to blend in and pretend - but Like I said she was probably lying.

If only...

Well, hopefully, she gets that 2.2m.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Patiently, waiting for the love triangle tag.

last edited at Dec 21, 2018 6:39PM

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Seems like you were spot on, if the translation of Chapter 4's first page ("So you went back to black hair") is accurate.

Japan is not really exceptionally conformist, it's just easier to see there because conformity is part of the culture. For example, as much as Americans love going on about how their country is the land of the free, their society is just as conformist at the core, they just don't like thinking about it because they like feeling special.

There's a world of difference between societies that have had to adjust to diversity - however reluctantly and irrespective of how many refuseniks are still tilting at windmills over it - and ones that, well, have not.

Case in point pretty sure that the kind of crude appearance policing on display here would be more likely than not to get the school sued very quickly in the notoriously prickly and litigation-happy US of A.

Yeah, I admit I made the mistake of forgetting to mention another big factor that is at work: The cultures of East Asia are predominantly "collectivist" (i.e. the group comes before the individual), where as Europe and the Americas are generally pretty big on individualism, even when a given culture has a significant degree of conformist bent. Basically, in a country like the USA, there's a tightrope balance between individualism and conformism, while in Japan the high conformism is exacerbated even further by a collectivist mentality, hence the unusual extremes of its manifestations in comparison.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/11/30/national/osaka-probes-schools-hair-color-rules-lawsuit/

For what it's worth, it's not as widespread as it may seem, and things are improving. More and more educators in Japan are getting on page with what effective schooling looks like. Basically it's a tug-of-war between authoritarian pedagogy and educators who are like "uh...what if we tried treating students like people instead of machine parts in a factory"?

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This manga is nice.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/11/30/national/osaka-probes-schools-hair-color-rules-lawsuit/

For what it's worth, it's not as widespread as it may seem, and things are improving. More and more educators in Japan are getting on page with what effective schooling looks like. Basically it's a tug-of-war between authoritarian pedagogy and educators who are like "uh...what if we tried treating students like people instead of machine parts in a factory"?

Hope that rule gets abolished completely.

Edit:

If only...

Well, hopefully, she gets that 2.2m.

Oh wow, that's so shitty.

last edited at Dec 24, 2018 7:14PM

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Did this get dropped? I hope it gets updated soon.

joined Feb 24, 2019

Looks like there isn't anymore on the author's pixiv, so it might be a while before we get more, if we ever do. But I'll remain hopeful!

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Is this dead? I miss this waiting over a year and a half for an update

Ithink%20small
joined Aug 13, 2015

Is this dead? I miss this waiting over a year and a half for an update

Same >_< !!!

Maxresdefault-1
joined Mar 24, 2021

cute as fuck

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

Get her friend a GF!!

6631e8220bec2737023f64d8a2b36b99
joined Jul 20, 2020

It's always the good stories that get dropped...

To reply you must either login or sign up.