Forum › Homura-chan, Can You Take Me To Hawaiians? discussion

joined Jun 6, 2021

It's really unpleasant when the translator decides that he or she can and should change how the target language works.

sanshouowo Uploader
Output-onlinepngtools(4)
Homusaki Shikibu
joined Jul 10, 2021

Yeah smh who do they think they are >:(

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's probably not the best way to style it, but having "the" before a hotel name is technically optional (the Luxor, the Bellagio, The Venetian, Circus Circus, Great Wolf Lodge). I wouldn't call that changing the target language

Wait a second... you're the translator! Thanks for the anthology, it's great

last edited at Aug 15, 2021 12:47AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

I don't know the answer to that. But “they” actually are a person of pretty much just the sort of which you'd imagine a Briton, American, or Canadian to be, if that person tried to pull the same crap with your language.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I don't know the answer to that. But “they” actually are a person of pretty much just the sort of which you'd imagine a Briton, American, or Canadian to be, if that person tried to pull the same crap with your language.

I'm so confused. What is this language crime that has been committed here?

joined Jun 6, 2021

My interest here isn't in explaining the English language to people who have such a limited familiarity with it that they're not repeatedly jarred by this translation; nor do I want to square-off against passive-aggressive trolls.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

My interest here isn't in explaining the English language to people

Mine is though, so I'll give it a go

I'm a bit confused too, but I believe the issue is that in practice English speakers put "the" before hotel names when referring to them. So you'd say "I got a room at the DoubleTree" even though "the" isn't in the name of the hotel. There are some exceptions, but they're exceedingly rare. Which would make the criticism for this translation that "Hawaiians Hotel," the resort this story is set in, is never referred to as "the Hawaiians" and is instead simply "Hawaiians." Which sounds super Engrish. To double up on that, "Hawaiians Hotel" is a Japanese take on a hotel name, so it also sounds weird. I'd hardly square the blame on the translator for not renaming the hotel to "The Hawaiian" (the only viable option to avoid confusion with actual Hawaii), particularly because that would necessitate a redraw and typeset of the resort name on the hotel itself while being a substantial localization call

Also I wasn't trolling, the second post above is the translator

last edited at Aug 20, 2021 3:52AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Really weird thread... Thanks for the explanation attempt, Altair. It's a good and cute doujin.

To reply you must either login or sign up.