Forum › Anime season

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

I would actually recommend even the anime to yuri fans, but it is frankly not as good as Madoka (or stuff like Saki/Strike Witches).

Saki is just mindless fun to me and I'm taking a really long time watching Strike Witches. I've made a habit of watching anime in the living room and it's pretty hard to bring myself to watch little girls flying around in their panties around my parents. I also didn't find it very entertaining. Not sure why. Possibly the drawn out watching period, but it felt like a chore.

Most Madoka doujins are pretty spoile heavy, but I think we might need some spoiler tags in here.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ hahaha you have to watch strike witches alone and don't worry it has a slow start but its great, S2 is even better.

I had to watch Rebellion 3 times before I stopped hating it, that one got me more than the anime did. Forgot to mention Madoka's song "mata ashita", "and I'm home" too goods songs both soul crushing...

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 10:33PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Get out of the way with your bikinis and skin exposure! I want a better look at that Nadleeh!

Images_(2)
joined Feb 10, 2013

..can't wait for 2015, there is a new yuri anime called Yuri Kuma Arash and don't forget Kantai collection...

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So, next season is kind of interesting. Entirely too many sequels, lots of cute girls doing cute things, a bunch of shitty LN adaptations, and some other stuff. Here's a rundown of that second category:

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes
Starting on January 3rd
Synopsis: Fourth entry in the series, with a tone closer to the first two entries than the third
Probable yuri level: About the same as the rest of the series? I haven't actually watched any of it
Overall outlook: I imagine most people have already decided whether they're going to be watching it

Yuri Kuma Arashi
Starting on January 5th
Synopsis: Something about lesbians and bears that's going to resemble a drug trip
Probable yuri level: Maximum
Overall outlook: It's going to be pretty good but intensely symbolic and difficult to follow. Also, campy

Kantai Collection
Starting on January 7th
Synopsis: Young girls who are also warships. We've been told we'll see some fights, but most of it will be set at the base
Probable yuri level: Probably about as much as the game; that is, some characters will have very questionable relationships with each other. On the other hand, there is official art of Kongou getting handsy with Fubuki...
Overall outlook: Good! The animation previewed is top-tier, and the writer excels at this sort of thing

Koufuku Graffiti
Starting on January 8th
Synopsis: 4koma adaptation about a girl who makes friends through cooking. The eating scenes are described as "slightly erotic"
Probable yuri level: As a Manga Time Kirara series, we can probably assume the girls will be shippable at the bare minimum
Overall outlook: We have big names on the staff for some reason (Shinbou is directing, Okada is writing). This should be decent at worst

The Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
Starting on January 9th
Synopsis: Idols. Cast is new, but it has most of the same staff as the original series (no, not Xenoglossia)
Probable yuri level: About the same as the first series? I haven't actually watched it
Overall outlook: Animation looks good and I hear good things about the first series, so...

Dog Days''
Starting on January 10th
Synopsis: Third season. Tone looks to be closer to the second than first
Probable yuri level: If it's anything like the rest of series, there's going to be loads of yuri subtext, but also plenty of het
Overall outlook: Probably going to be pretty good, but not enough so to justify watching the first two seasons unless you're bored

The Rolling Girls
Starting on January 10th
Synopsis: The prefectures of Japan have become independent countries and are getting in fights with each other. Flashy, colourful fights. Our main characters are a group of travelling girls that aren't really involved in that
Probable yuri level: ???? The writer should be familiar with homosexuality from his time on Sengoku Basara, at least
Overall outlook: There's a tendency for anime original series to try various experimental ideas in an attempt to be unique and interesting and end up becoming complete messes. The upshot is that trainwreck syndrome means that the failure is often entertaining in it's own right

Go! Princess Precure
Starting some time in early February, probably
Synopsis: Has yet to be revealed
Probable yuri level: Dunno. Precure is a crapshoot
Overall outlook: It's a Precure series. Bottom-tier animation and loads of filler can be counted on

...I was bored and wanted to be able to find the thread when time come to do a retrospective for the current season

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ Thanks for doing this it saves me a lot of time.
Wait Dog Days had yuri subtext? I watched the 1st 2 eps all all I got from it was Nanoha Force.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Wait Dog Days had yuri subtext? I watched the 1st 2 eps all all I got from it was Nanoha Force.

Yeah. More so in the second season, but it's eventually present in the first

joined Jul 2, 2013

Koufuku Graffiti
Overall outlook: We have big names on the staff for some reason (Shinbou is directing, Okada is writing). This should be decent at worst

Shaft-y animated food with Shinbou's weirdass directions and Okada's drama? Perfect.

joined Oct 6, 2014

I haven't watched anime in years, and was wondering if there was any explicit yuri out there that had an actual plot and wasn't utterly moe (HATE moe). I have seen Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto (and read the manga). Anything worthwhile?

No subtext and preferably no fan service, please. I hung up my yuri goggles for good years ago, no looking back.

last edited at Dec 14, 2014 1:38PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Okay, season recap, yuri focus edition:

WIXOSS: Has an actual lesbian couple which ends horribly, but if you're watching Wixoss in the first place you're expecting that. Also some definite undertones with Ruuko and Tama as well as her second LRIG. The thing here is that Wixoss is basically Suffering: The Series and if you're not into that it's not going to be worth watching

Sora no Method: Nonoka and Shione's relationship ends up being fairly eyebrow-raising (they literally move in together by the end), but takes a while to get there. Series itself is pretty good. Would recommend if you want a low-key drama

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru: You have no idea. Er, technically Yuuna x Tougou isn't confirmed, but you'd need to be blind not to see it. The series itself is basically Madoka but more anime and generally happier (generally). It's not as good as the series it's mimicking, but that leaves it at 'quite good' instead of 'brilliant'

Girlfriend (Kari): Uh, I only watched the first 5 or 6 episodes. Episode 3 strongly resembled something from Yuri Hime or Hirari and was pretty good, but the rest of what I saw didn't have much yuri and was kind of mediocre

Cross Ange: Has yuri. Also has het, is incredibly trashy, and generally not very good

SHIROBAKO: I actually have no idea how this turned out. Anyone able to help?

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Yet another season that i'm not too excited, only Jojo and Fafner for me this time

I haven't watched anime in years, and was wondering if there was any explicit yuri out there that had an actual plot and wasn't utterly moe (HATE moe). I have seen Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto (and read the manga). Anything worthwhile?

No subtext and preferably no fan service, please. I hung up my yuri goggles for good years ago, no looking back.

Candy Boy if you don't mind incest

joined Oct 6, 2014

Thanks for the responses, I will def check these out!

joined Jul 2, 2013

Cross Ange: Has yuri. Also has het, is incredibly trashy, and generally not very good

Debatable cause I'm loving the hell out of that trash (no doubt it really is trashy) show and I despise fanservice.

SHIROBAKO: I actually have no idea how this turned out. Anyone able to help?

If you're talking yuri-wise, there isn't any unless you've got some thick pair of goggles. As for the show itself, it's quite amazing IMO.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I'm not a feminist, in fact, I always objectify women

hahaha. what?

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to Kantai Collection's anime next year.
For now, I'll give GF beta, Yuuki Yuna, Sora no Method a try.

Random non-yuri: I Don't Know What My Husband is Saying is really really funny. As you can infer from the title and the disclaimer, it has no yuri. But it's so goddamn funny, it transcends personal genre bias.

Quick additions:
Watched Psycho Pass 1 & 2 back to back, and have to say that they're both brilliant. Fell in love with Tsunemori in the second season. Wouldn't want to raise anyone's hopes through the roof, but I'd say that it was one of my favorites this year. Also, yes, Shion x Yayoi 5eva. And spoilers of S1: Shimotsuki's friend and victim of one of the murders in S1 was most likely her closest friend + previous love interest, since she says that there was something important she had wanted to tell her before everything hit the fan. Probs a cliche "I love you---and not as just a friend." She blushes a few times when Yayoi shuts her down in S2, so it's most likely that she's developed new feelin's for Yayoi. End.

WIXOSS was one of those, "what?" at first, but then you kinda get into it and it all makes beautiful sense at the end. I'd say it was like a card game magical girl type anime. I'd even liken it to Madoka but that's more than I should say. I liked it a lot. Esp Iona ahem, Yuki. P' cute.

last edited at Dec 29, 2014 3:19AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Sora no Method: Nonoka and Shione's relationship ends up being fairly eyebrow-raising (they literally move in together by the end)

I f***ing knew it!!!! my goggles don't lie!!!! ever!!!! GAHHH I can't believe they didn't kiss or maybe they did when they sit on the "bench" heheheh...oh better stop my delusion and the thumbs up from dad! HOLY $HIT!!!! I also liked that early on Yuzuki asked Souta if he liked Koharu or something and he's like wtf? it's like "no this ain't no het/harem he's not interested" I wonder if they put that line in there for us...

Girlfriend (Kari): Episode 3 strongly resembled something from Yuri Hime or Hirari and was pretty good

Ep 3 WAS yuri romance but the rest is kinda random slice of life I haven't finished it and it's late right now I'll post again tomorrow, I would say it's a very relaxing anime.

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru: You have no idea

Er...I think I talked about this one enough at this point...hah....

I'm also still watching Kaito Joker it's very fun am I the only one? I'm still need to watch the other ones.

OH and Yama no Susume S2 ♥ Aoi x Hinata 4ver ♥

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes
Starting on January 3rd
Synopsis: Fourth entry in the series, with a tone closer to the first two entries than the third
Probable yuri level: About the same as the rest of the series? I haven't actually watched any of it
Overall outlook: I imagine most people have already decided whether they're going to be watching it

Ugh I'm so excited for this especially since it's supposedly going to be similar to the first 2 seasons. The 3rd was so boring. I actually hope it finds a good balance with seriousness and crack since too much craziness can get stale too. I thought episodes like Season 1 Episodes 10-12 had the perfect amount of action, drama and comedy.

Thanks for the organized list! It definitely helped me seek out what I wanna watch for the next season.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Okay, we have stuff to talk about here again

Yuri Kuma Arashi is an Ikuhara series. Which is to say, what you're watching is an exaggeration of a metaphor that is, itself, a stand in for the point that Ikuhara is actually trying to make. There's yuri, but if you're watching solely for that I imagine you'll be disappointed

KanColle is pretty good. Also pretty gay. Kitakami and Ooi are doing their thing, and Fubuki seems to have a crush on Akagi

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Ok after stalling it for a few days I finally watched some of my backlog

GF(Kari) Right...I liked it, episode 5-7 or so were all slice of life with out much going on they may/may not bore you but not to spoil much but yuri/subtext picks up again which is why I know ship:
Erena x Fumio all of my yes!
Chloe x Kokomi x Nonoka YES!!! OT3
and a couple more also Erena is GAY no one can tell me otherwise she says she wants to take ALL of the cute girls on a date

Yuri Kuma Arashi: Um...actually I don't have a strong opinion either way yet we'll see on the next few eps

KanColle: hmm...same but I have hope! millitary setting+cute girls is usually gay so yay!

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Okay, other stuff:

Koufuku Graffiti is a fairly good slice-of-life show with a touch of SHAFT's surrealism. Currently not too high on yuri subtext, but could go that way very easily

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls... I honestly don't have much of an opinion on. It seems to be well enough made, at least

Rolling Girls is batshit insane. It's quite pretty and has some clear yuri potential, though

joined Jul 2, 2013

Koufuku Graffiti: Lewd eating with Okada behind the wheels, so I'm expecting drama.
Kancolle: Generic genki girl MC trying to come between my OTP.
Junketsu no Maria: Looking good. The male love interest has already shown up, but if the ride is fun, I'm in.

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls... I honestly don't have much of an opinion on. It seems to be well enough made, at least

Rin looks to be version 2.0 Chihaya. The first episode of CG was better than the original season though, so that's a plus. Not that it's very hard to top the original's first episode.

Rolling Girls is batshit insane. It's quite pretty and has some clear yuri potential, though

Here's hoping the budget can keep up with the crazy rainbow vomit.

There's also five or so generic harem shows that I'm not even going to bother with.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

There's also five or so generic harem shows that I'm not even going to bother with.

SaeKano is very pretty, but harem antics to the max. Fafnir has some potentially interesting plot points and hasn't gone harem yet, but has no budget and clunky writing. The rest are trash

...I don't know why I watched all of them

Oh, Death Parade and Yoru no Yatterman are probably worth a look

Thiaguinho-sama
Ratana%20avatar%203.3%20dynasty
joined May 11, 2012

Anyone here feeling anxious for the release of Rebuild 3.0+1.0 this winter???

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Ahahahahahahaha holy shit! The last episode of Build Fighters Try was so bad that i'm lacking in words to describe it!

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

It couldn't possibly be as bad as this...?? Probably NSFW but friggen hilarious.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Hentai dubs are a direct gift from god, doubly so if Dan Green is in the mix

To reply you must either login or sign up.