Forum › Todo no Tsumari no Uchouten discussion

75008_alt5
joined Feb 17, 2019

I'm glad this was translated to the end. Now Come Rain or Shine can ascend this comfyness.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

I honestly enjoyed both versions. This version for its comedy and the other version for its flow. To me, the other one's a bit more romance oriented, but this one hit hardcore on the love aspects towards the end. Can't wait to see how the side stories turn out

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

This was getting so GOOD!!!! Why did it end there!? Anyways we got the reboot so no use complaining. Thank you so much for translating this.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

No, Come Rain or Shine is the reboot...I'm so sorry if we confused you somehow! That one is still ongoing, this one will be marked complete as soon as we get the Volume 2 Extras.

No, I don't think you did anything confusing. I guess when I heard about the reboot I assumed the original stopped updating, which now I realize isn't true. Which is great in the end bc there's just more for us to read!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Oh. So these extras were uploaded on MangaDex during the period of the MD Apocalypse, and we missed it. But now it's here. Yay.

Well, I re-read the whole thing in the last week to catch up with the newer chapters and wow, this is really incredible. First, Arata Iri is my favourite and I don't intend any disrespect with what I'm about to say. Either my recency bias is crushing, or my tastes just tend toward the less popular.

This is vastly, vastly superior to Come Rain or Shine. Arata Iri learned a whole bunch of lessons from her previous manga, and used those to help set up the entirety of her story from the very beginning. The first few chapters are wild and unsteady, but that style suits her writing. It really starts coming together in the latter half of Volume 1, and those early chapters serve their purpose.

Every major character - with the exception of the teacher, who is minor as of the canceled conclusion - is introduced within the first few chapters. None of them ever get a single chapter to themselves, but we spend individual and group time with all of them. Everyone gets space and an opportunity to grow, none of the side characters steal time that doesn't belong to them. Comparatively, Come Rain or Shine spends the majority of its Volume 2 weaving side stories into its main plot, to the (possible) detriment of said plot.

Meanwhile, this series' tone is impeccably consistent. It's comedy, and it's gaynst. That's it. Every page is dedicated to furthering a joke, or furthering some angsty development. Come Rain or Shine, meanwhile, is mysterious and dramatic and gaynst and comedy and romance and sometimes, all of these things at once. To a degree this all feels necessary and intentional (cuz reboot), but in practice these are detrimental changes.

The development in the last few chapters is also super good?? You can feel Nekozaki's low self-esteem, and you can see the effect it's having on the people around her, before it's even brought up explicitly. The presentation itself feels far more personal and significant than boom plot twist "I killed my father." She might be a bit too much of an idiot, but her obliviousness is actually such a minor point to the development between her and Mikoto that I hardly think it's problematic.

Sigh. I loved chapter 11, and the intense build-up to proper development. I loved chapter 13, and that Tsubaki treasuring Nekozaki as a person (and friend) got its own focus. Chapter 14 feels like an utter axed disaster in its pace, but I will always treasure the scene of Nekozaki's fears having realistic consequences, and Mikoto breaking down as a result. This is also a surprisingly good "and they continued on" ending, thank goodness.

I'm so sad this got canned, but I do share Arata Iri's indebtedness to that editor-in-chief. The jump to Shounen Gahousha never made much sense to me, but in the end, that person is probably the number one reason she's had a job anytime in the last few years. That's awesome. I hope as the reboot progresses, it becomes everything this series aspired to be. Eternally grateful to you, Aos! Awesome work!

Edit: I just realised I got a bit fired up and it probably sounds as if I hate the reboot or something. That's not the case at all, I had huge hopes for it even before reading this in full, and I continue to!

last edited at Apr 29, 2021 12:06AM

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Oh. So these extras were uploaded on MangaDex during the period of the MD Apocalypse, and we missed it. But now it's here. Yay.

Well, I re-read the whole thing in the last week to catch up with the newer chapters and wow, this is really incredible. First, Arata Iri is my favourite and I don't intend any disrespect with what I'm about to say. Either my recency bias is crushing, or my tastes just tend toward the less popular.

This is vastly, vastly superior to Come Rain or Shine. Arata Iri learned a whole bunch of lessons from her previous manga, and used those to help set up the entirety of her story from the very beginning. The first few chapters are wild and unsteady, but that style suits her writing. It really starts coming together in the latter half of Volume 1, and those early chapters serve their purpose.

Every major character - with the exception of the teacher, who is minor as of the canceled conclusion - is introduced within the first few chapters. None of them ever get a single chapter to themselves, but we spend individual and group time with all of them. Everyone gets space and an opportunity to grow, none of the side characters steal time that doesn't belong to them. Comparatively, Come Rain or Shine spends the majority of its Volume 2 weaving side stories into its main plot, to the (possible) detriment of said plot.

Meanwhile, this series' tone is impeccably consistent. It's comedy, and it's gaynst. That's it. Every page is dedicated to furthering a joke, or furthering some angsty development. Come Rain or Shine, meanwhile, is mysterious and dramatic and gaynst and comedy and romance and sometimes, all of these things at once. To a degree this all feels necessary and intentional (cuz reboot), but in practice these are detrimental changes.

The development in the last few chapters is also super good?? You can feel Nekozaki's low self-esteem, and you can see the effect it's having on the people around her, before it's even brought up explicitly. The presentation itself feels far more personal and significant than boom plot twist "I killed my father." She might be a bit too much of an idiot, but her obliviousness is actually such a minor point to the development between her and Mikoto that I hardly think it's problematic.

Sigh. I loved chapter 11, and the intense build-up to proper development. I loved chapter 13, and that Tsubaki treasuring Nekozaki as a person (and friend) got its own focus. Chapter 14 feels like an utter axed disaster in its pace, but I will always treasure the scene of Nekozaki's fears having realistic consequences, and Mikoto breaking down as a result. This is also a surprisingly good "and they continued on" ending, thank goodness.

I'm so sad this got canned, but I do share Arata Iri's indebtedness to that editor-in-chief. The jump to Shounen Gahousha never made much sense to me, but in the end, that person is probably the number one reason she's had a job anytime in the last few years. That's awesome. I hope as the reboot progresses, it becomes everything this series aspired to be. Eternally grateful to you, Aos! Awesome work!

Edit: I just realised I got a bit fired up and it probably sounds as if I hate the reboot or something. That's not the case at all, I had huge hopes for it even before reading this in full, and I continue to!

i was about to post "you may not like it but this what peak arata iri looks like" when i read your post
i agree with everything you just said, i think come rain or shine at times takes itlself way to serious wich is good for the drama and romance but makes the the ocasional comedy feel out of place wihle uchote is just over the top comedy from the beggining but lets the drama naturally appear at the second half

i also think that ara iri made an incredible job with the secondary characters, i never hate the secondary characters from tovarisch but i do think that they lack development and often got in the way of the main character wich i think arata iri took notes from and as you pointed out let every pair have their space and time but also let them hang out as a group

edit; i also love come rain or shine and i hope arata iri can finally write a story the way she wants

last edited at Apr 29, 2021 1:29AM

joined Sep 11, 2019

I just want the drama in Come Rain or Shine to wrap itself up nicely then we can get on with the based yuri stuff

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Nice.

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

Just give me a Yozora and Takkin spin-off

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Honestly like Nekozaki and Mikoto’s dynamic here a lot more than in Come Rain or Shine. It’s less awkward (as much as I think that aspect is cute) and more fun and natural. Sucks there isn’t a kiss scene but it’s a nice end.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

benja posted:

i was about to post "you may not like it but this what peak arata iri looks like" when i read your post

Yeah, "Peak Arata Iri" is a perfect description!

i also think that ara iri made an incredible job with the secondary characters, i never hate the secondary characters from tovarisch but i do think that they lack development

They for sure lacked development in Tovarisch, but I didn't dislike them either. It seems obvious she's trying to write a zany comedy a la Azumanga or Nichijou, but it's also yuri. To do that, you have an ensemble cast. She just hasn't had the experience or volume count yet to make that sort of story a reality.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Wait, cancelled?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Wait, cancelled?

Well, rebooted.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

^I had forgotten xD

To reply you must either login or sign up.