Forum › Otherside Picnic (LN, manga, anime)

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

What I'm wondering is, if they are in Okinawa now, as the beach at the end and the after-credits scene imply, does that mean the anime-verse soldiers get to stay stuck in the Otherside? Or will the girls have their beach adventure, go back to Tokyo, and then end up in Okinawa again after rescuing the guys? Or is the beach somewhere near home as a fake-out and they'll go back for the soldiers next episode? That seems more likely.

At this point, i don't even care, they already cram Time, Space and a Middle age man in one episode as also putting it BEFORE Kisaragi station so using Resort Night at the beach of the end for transition between the two Kisaragi arc would not be surprising. I frankly don't know who plan it like that but damn, i cannot encourage much the anime-only to read the manga/LN so they get a better understanding.

last edited at Feb 8, 2021 11:59AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Ok that's a bit worse than i thought. They end up at Okinawa without guns from the rescue meaning either Okinawa get cut ot severly altered. Also they cut the train scene with the monkeys.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I'm surprised by this, but I've become quite chill with the anime's direction. Like, okay, let's see what they'll do next. This could have been the Hanebado anime, meaning a very bad adaptation, or hell, Ex-Arm. I'm glad I get to hear the seiyuu give their voices to the characters, but ultimately nothing will replace all the detailed descriptions and internal thoughts from the novels. Which is fine, now that I think about it. Different mediums convey stories differently. The anime seems to be going for a different tone than the novels and manga (either that, or it's trying for the same tone and failing) and we'll just have to live with that.

Interestingly, this episode didn't sit well with the Anime News Network reviewer. I guess it doesn't come across as well in the anime just how antisocial Sorawo and Toriko are, so their decisions may make less sense to anime-only viewers. To me, it was obvious that they'd use their phones immediately after Drake told them not to, because they don't always operate by the laws of common sense; if they did, they'd have stopped going to the Otherside long ago.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Okay, I might be wrong here, but here's what I think happened in the anime. The girls accidentally enter the Otherside without their exploring gear (including their guns, which they mention). They do not get or steal guns from the Americans. They leave on the train without their handguns, much less the rifles. They end up in Okinawa. They go to the beach. And they have? Guns?? How???

That's the dreaded plot hole, right? An adaptation-induced one, but still, I'm not seeing things? As I said before, I'm trying to cut the anime some slack since an adaptation doesn't have to completely follow the source material, but this is a really noticeable mistake. Some manga like slice-of-life stories can be adapted out of order, but when there is a plot I'd say it's generally a good idea to follow the original order. Who knows why they diverged. Not only does it not bring or enhance anything, it makes Sorawo and Toriko come across as sociopaths who go out drinking and partying after leaving those poor soldiers in a horrible situation. That's not a good look.

It's a shame. File 3 was competently adapted, too.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Copied from another post:

It feels like the staff thought this series was just an episodic "creepypasta of the week" with no continuity, and that they could just reorder the chapters with no issue. But the problem is that it isn't at all. While each file might be about a new phenomenon, there has always been a clear progression between them. Developments in the story and characters from one chapter often directly carry over into the next. But with their random rearrangement, the continuity is lost.

Just compare the progression of the novels to the anime:

In the novels, Sorawo was having second thoughts about exploring the Otherside after the dangerous encounters in chapters 1 and 2, but still hadn't given up entirely. While their lives were in danger, those scenarios, they still saw them entering the Otherside of their own volition, and they knew exactly where they came from and how to get back. However, chapter 3 was the big shakeup with them being forcibly and seemingly randomly pulled into the Otherside, without weapons, at night. They were chased by multiple different monsters, ended up stuck with a group of mentally unstable soldiers ready to shoot them dead at any moment, and just barely escaped through sheer luck. The whole situation makes sense as Sorawo's last straw. So when Toriko starts talking about soon returning, and even having them risk their lives not only searching for Satsuki, but also going back to save the soldiers that almost killed them, it naturally led to their argument at the start of chapter 4. The Time-Space Man's warning to Sorawo that she should "give up on Toriko or she won't be able to return" wasn't just a creepy message, it was thematic of the current conflict she was facing. If she had just forgotten about Toriko, she could have escaped from the Otherside and returned to normal life. Her ultimate decision to go after Toriko then led to her renewed interest in exploring the Otherside, and specifically her desire to make it a place for not just her alone, but now for Toriko as well. The Time-Space Man's warning came true, she went after Toriko and could no longer escape, because she now didn't want to. The arc also see's the characters learning more about the Otherside's mechanics and even true nature. It's an important step in the buildup to the following chapters. Sorawo's newly renewed desire was her primary motivation to Chapter 5 leading to them celebrating their success in the time before the start of Chapter 6.

In the anime however, chapter 4 was pulled before chapter 3, and an original story had to be created to fill the gaps. However, the situation there wasn't nearly on the same level as the one at Kisaragi Station, it was fairly similar to their previous encounters, so it makes much less sense as Sorawo's last straw, and their argument holds less weight as a result. Much of the discoveries about the Otherside in the Time Space Man arc were cut from time constraints as well. Then Kisaragi Station happens, and the impact of the girl's first night in the Otherside was lessened, as it now wasn't their first time, night fell previously in episode 4. The character development that did survive was now mostly reverted due to the jump to prior material, and the girls are now acting much less cautiously than they should have been following the events of Time Space Man. Lastly, chapter 5 was skipped over leading the girls to escape directly from Kisaragi to Okinawa (without their guns). The girls are in Okinawa, Chapter 5 and Sorawo and Toriko are now "celebrating" despite having nothing to celebrate because their great accomplishment hasn't even happened yet. The staff didn't even try to rewrite the story without the guns, they just somehow show up with no explanation.

All the reordering has done is shatter the continuity, make the story feel disjointed, and make the character's actions feel nonsensical.

My thoughts:
I really can't understand how the directors messed up the charm of this story. It's all about Toriko and Sorawo's development throughout the series, and about creepypastas in the second place. I can't help but feel that they butchered their character development and now their relationship seems so random. I didn't feel the same when reading the LN or the manga. Is it really that hard to adapt a LN without messing up its story??

joined Mar 8, 2019

All the reordering has done is shatter the continuity, make the story feel disjointed, and make the character's actions feel nonsensical.

Haven’t give the LN a read yet because I thought I had enough spoilers because of the manga. Initially, I thought that The scares and overall creepiness in the anime were ineffective because I knew what was going to happen. There was no anticipation so I thought they mixed up the chapters to give it that feeling again...

Or maybe they’re trying to reinforce the idea of disjointedness that one feels in The Otherside?

For me, what it does is take away from the pivotal moments between the characters so I completely agree with you.

This latest episode update had me going WTF but not in a good way- why the hell did they already arrive at the beach and skip over the hardship they went through trying to bring the soldiers back

Also, I don’t mind the intro and the outro, but sometimes the background music - especially when the characters have downtime - makes it sound like they’re in a Kiddy video game?

It just reinforces the heavy comedic tone they’ve applied this adaptation and it makes it impossible for me to take it seriously at times.

That’s just me though.

My thoughts:
I really can't understand how the directors messed up the charm of this story. It's all about Toriko and Sorawo's development throughout the series, and about creepypastas in the second place. I can't help but feel that they butchered their character development and now their relationship seems so random. I didn't feel the same when reading the LN or the manga. Is it really that hard to adapt a LN without messing up its story??

I hoped it was going to be like Ghost Hunt, where the scares got worse as the anime went on but sadly they haven’t upped the creepy factor for me.

I’m still holding out hope though since the anime has caught up to the manga- maybe if I don’t know what’s going on I’ll be able not to think and just observe.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 9:45AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

After checking the name of the episodes on Wikipeida, i will consider thie episode being my stop point. I don't mind being spoiled for a Sol anime but this one is the kind of Manga/anime i rather avoid being spoiled from, even more when you see how they butcher some parts . Not to mention the atrocious pacing who make some plotholes in this episode (which btw is again a one arc/one episode) like where the guns come from or what did they celebrate or why even they're celebrating when they just leave the whole US squadin the otherside.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I think it's technically possible to explain away the gun thing by imagining that some time passed between episodes 6 and 7. I know they end up in Okinawa at the end of 6, shh.

Episode 8: Well, I liked it. A lot, in fact! Sure it was silly. But it was kind of needed after the concentration of horror in the last episode. Also, I don't know much about the technical aspects of anime, but it seemed much better animated than usual for some reason? The fights against the ninja cats looked really good.
I didn't mind that they cut the whole search for a gate. They left the delivery scene, which is what I wanted the most from this episode.

The fact that the soldiers are still in the Otherside is kind of hanging over the whole show though. I wonder if they're keeping the rescue for the finale?

joined Mar 8, 2019

Certainly more anticipation and anxiety in the anime now that I don’t know what’s going to happen next. The creepy level went up for me but that just might be because I don’t care much for cats.

Medium really does matter. In books one relies on speech and monologues to tell a story or paint a character view. In manga you rely on composition and visualization.... for anime there is a culmination of all this- plus you of course have to add music. If Star Wars has taught me anything, sound track matters.

I do think they could up the scare level musically. That melody when they’re in Otherside Mode works thought it could be pushed more but Our World video game tone is still coming off as Pokémony to me.

A little more work on the visuals but over all, Episode 8 was fun and a hard 6 on the creepy/scary scale.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I liked episodes 9 and 10. I loved the scene in 9 where Natsumi told Sorawo she was terrified she'd lose Akari to hot Japanese-Canadian Toriko, then it turned out Kamikoshi-senpai was this plain, "gloomy otaku" to quote the novel.

10 was another original. An odd choice, this late, but it was leagues better than episode 3. I forgot to check if Miyazawa had written this one as well. I'd actually recommend the people who gave up on the anime to watch this one! It could have been a chapter of the novel. Kozakura getting mixed-up in the Otherside adventures is always a delight, and we got a lead-in to what I assume will be the next episode about rescuing the Americans. Finally! I got really worried for a while they'd just be stuck in the Otherside forever. I think I spotted a new background track, too. I don't say this enough, but the sound design and music are really good.

That leaves the last episode. God, I hope it isn't an anime-original. File 8 would be the obvious choice at this point.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Definitely right on it being better probably because I now have no clue on what is going to happen.

All this Sorawo looks like Satsuki stuff has me thinking some weird things though. Are they connected? It seems like Sorawo’s eye has given her abilities. She controlled Akari so perhaps she could have times traveled, changed her perception somehow in the Otherside, and came out in the real world. Or maybe Sorawo somehow is an extension that Satsuki made in The Otherside. I don’t know. It seems too deliberate to just be a coincidence.

I figured they’d want to save the Americans for last episodes though. Somehow up the scare factor. But maybe they’ll give us another original.

I wish for season 2!

joined Mar 8, 2019

Continuity error! Probably a small thing but still... they shouldn’t have released the beach episode ahead of the rescue It was obvious this arc would be last since it has a lot of action and tension and horror but still. At least attempt to change Certain parts to fit the current timeline. It totally feels like they just went and inserted without thought. Maybe they’ll pull something at the end to correct/explain though I highly doubt....

joined Jan 21, 2015

Yeah, the whole thing with the hat is pretty obvious when you're familiar with the manga or novels. Same with how Sorawo suddenly got her rifle in the beach episode. But then they couldn't have turned the rescue chapter into the finale. I don't know if that was the right choice, but it's better than a rushed File 11 ending. I can see why they went with that. It's just a shame that the whole thing with Satsuki will remain hanging for anime-only viewers.

What I'm curious about is, with only the climax from the chapter left, what do they intend to do with the rest of the episode? Draw out the battle? Show how the girls get back home? Ramp up the yuri (yes please)? Make up some shit about Satsuki (god, no)?

In other news, volume 6 of the novel just came out in Japan. Can't wait for the next volume in English. Who knows when that'll be though.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Yeah, the whole thing with the hat is pretty obvious when you're familiar with the manga or novels. Same with how Sorawo suddenly got her rifle in the beach episode. But then they couldn't have turned the rescue chapter into the finale. I don't know if that was the right choice, but it's better than a rushed File 11 ending. I can see why they went with that. It's just a shame that the whole thing with Satsuki will remain hanging for anime-only viewers.

They could have changed details a bit. In the beach episode they just ended up there without needing any thing - could have applied they same concept. Or even just found a way to make the battle scene in the beach more climactic.

Showing that Satsuki bit at the end would have been a good season finale bait - like they’re all chill and back in real world but Sorawo’s wondering more about Satsuki or something...

What I'm curious about is, with only the climax from the chapter left, what do they intend to do with the rest of the episode? Draw out the battle? Show how the girls get back home? Ramp up the yuri (yes please)? Make up some shit about Satsuki (god, no)?

The first half will probably be about the battle... maybe the second will set up a second season that I’m really hoping for.

In other news, volume 6 of the novel just came out in Japan. Can't wait for the next volume in English. Who knows when that'll be though.

Oo. I need to start reading the novels. I’m just waiting for the anime to end.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Oh right, I wanted to post something about the last episode. Only took me a week.

Well, I liked it. The battle was appropriately climactic, and it was a good idea to add the search for a gate from the ninja cats chapter as a conclusion. The girls reflecting on their relationship was a nice way to end the show, leaving the door open for a potential second season. Which doesn't seem that far-fetched, the LNs have a lot of reviews on Amazon JP and the latest volume was a Kindle best-seller in the Japanese literature category.

The anime had some irritating flaws, most obviously the choice to move the chapters around resulting in continuity errors, the whole thing with Satsuki was left open-ended which was frustrating, and I wish we'd heard more of Sorawo's inner thoughts, but overall I liked the show. The animation wasn't elaborate but I never noticed it melting, the music and sound design were very good and the voice acting was fantastic. Plus, it was more Otherside Picnic content while we wait for volume 5 to come out in English.

I hope anime-only watchers were entertained enough to want to check out the manga, or pick up the light novels to learn what happens next.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

while we wait for volume 5 to come out in English.

It needs to be translated nowwwwwww..... I read all four volumes of the English translations in one day and I've been checking for the status of number five constantly~

last edited at Mar 28, 2021 5:01AM

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

I wanna marry Toriko, someone save me from this obsession.

joined Oct 20, 2020

J-Novel club has started pre-pubs of volume 5.
https://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1388267989821239299

joined Jan 21, 2015

^ Thank you for the link! According to the J-Novel website, volume 5 will be out on August 19th.

I think I'll pass on the pre-pub and wait for the whole volume to come out, otherwise I'll get way too impatient to read the rest.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I finally got to read the 5th volume of the novelllll~~

I'm gonna give my impressions here, so don't read if you're like me and regret even reading the synopsis... But I've covered the important parts or any lines directly taken from the book.

First of all, there needed to be more KOZAKURA.
Always.
MORE KOZAKURA IS ALWAYS NEEDED.

But at the moments she did appear, she did not disappoint (how could she ever disappoint, really?...). I especially liked this line, from file 16:
“One look at how hopeless Sorawo is is all it takes.”
Kozakura sure knows what she's talking about lol

((Oh, and since I'm talking about file 16, I might as well add that Natsumi "seeing how it was" was very funny.))

Actually, it wasn't only a matter of not enough Kozakura (though that was definitely an issue...), it just needed to be longerrrr.....! But at least the next volume will be out soon, so I'll be patient :|

Moving on to the good stuff.
Can I say, I had forgotten just how much I love Sorawo as a protagonist! Seeing her grumpy attitude again, and watching her gay panicking (for the duration of the book, really) was so great!
Also, flirty Toriko is a blessing~
Toriko just keeps stealing kisses at every opportunity hahaha. It's just so in character for her, I love it! And, now that I think about, she didn't go as hard with the slapping this time, did she? Which... is a little surprising, actually

It was no surprise that their relationship is still in a gray area, though, considering how hopeless Sorawo is, hehe. I'm looking forward to seeing her finally figure out and accept her feelings, though.

File 17 was really nice. We finally got a glimpse of Toriko's thoughts and her life outside the Otherside, which was cool. I had forgotten that she was studying English Literature as well, tbh XD. Also, it was a bit funny how Sorawo was relieved to see that she had no friends, like, girl... that's not a very nice thing to wish for someone....

File 18:
“You don’t need to worry so much. I mean, I’m always looking at you like normal.”
“I know. You’re looking at my face all the time, Sorawo.”
Toriko just won't let up, will she? XD
I felt sorry for Sorawo... And with that whole conversation about her jealousy before... She just kept losing lol

Toriko really came on strong in this volume... Though it seems like the more she pushes the more Sorawo cowers... But well, if we just waited around for Sorawo to make a move, we'd never get anywhere... And Toriko seems to be well aware of that...

All in all, I'm pretty much satisfied with this volume. Though, I have to say that it felt less intense than the previous ones on the horror part. Or maybe that's because I've gotten more used to it? Either way, even if it was less intense, it definitely wasn't any less intriguing. Plus, it was a lot more yuri, which I'm not gonna complain about... XD

Anyway, I think that's about it. If you actually read all this... Thank you, and congratulations?

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

It feels a bit weird to be writing here when the last post was also mine, but.... I just have to share my thoughts about volume 6 somewhere!

Since I also started my last comment with that:
First of all, this book had a sufficient. Amount. Of. KOZAKURA.

Also, I could say that Kozakura had a more meaningful role in this volume. This is more of an answer to this (very interesting) review of volume 5, which fairly pointed out that Kozakura had kind of been reduced to the comedic relief character. While I couldn't completely disagree with that, I felt that the real cause of this wasn't so much that Miyazawa had forgotten how to write her, but mostly the fact that the story itself seemed to have lost some of its the original intensity and leaned more towards the romance side.

And that brings me to my next point, which was what made this volume so enjoyable and definitely one of my favourite of the series:
This book was intense.
And not only because of the scary visual imagery, but also because of the new and intriguing clues it presented as to how the Otherside might work. Reading the last couple of volumes (and especially vol. 5) I kinda missed the way they used to discuss and theorise about the mechanisms of the Otherside. And that's exactly what this volume brought. I think the last time I was so spooked while reading this series was in File 14 (mannequins are creepy), or even way back in File 8. And the last time I was so intrigued by the Otherside itself might have been the very first discussion between Kozakura and Sorawo in the first novel.

This volume really brought back the sci-fi and horror elements that volume 5 somewhat lacked, reminding me that what made this series a favourite of mine was largely the concept of the Otherside itself and the creepy scenes that made me too scared to cross the house's corridor at night and Kozakura. Yuri is only one part of what makes this series enjoyable and I'm glad to see that Miyazawa hasn't forgotten that.

To reply you must either login or sign up.