Forum › MariAli discussion

joined May 1, 2013

Perfectly describe Marisa and Alice story, for me is one of the best doujin of Touhou series and a very good yuri in general!
Not really sure if it is enjoinable without any Touhou background knowledge, the story is understandable but a little clichè..

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Given it's one of the only doujins I've put on my iPad, I'd have to agree.

Img_2543
joined Feb 28, 2013

Being totally honest, was crying through the entire last chapter. This was my first Touhou doujin.

Tumblr_mn1x8qinby1s5km83o1_400
joined Feb 13, 2013

I agree. Who wouldn't feel pain for both of them? Easily my favorite doujin of touhou.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I keep meaning to ask this, but is there material missing between 22 and 28? The numbering seems wonky and the river scene ends too abruptly.

Reader
joined Oct 27, 2013

U.U poor Alice, she is my favorite plzz dont let her cry in next series

Reader
joined Oct 27, 2013

i finally finish the series and i must say was wonderfull, my favorite touhou doujin whit my favorite chars, nice drwaing, nice plot, thanksssss

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Can someone explain the ending? Was that an illusion or something? Revived? My knowledge of Touhou Project is smaller than a grain of salt.

Anyways, nice read. Art in the last page looks amazing: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/mariali_ch05#29

last edited at Jan 21, 2014 6:13AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Can someone explain the ending? Was that an illusion or something? Revived? My knowledge of Touhou Project is smaller than a grain of salt.

Anyways, nice read. Art in the last page looks amazing: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/mariali_ch05#29

My own thought is that this is hundreds of years in the future, with Alice finally passing away (although not having visibly aged since she's a youkai) and finally reuniting with the spirit of her beloved Marisa.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

My own thought is that this is hundreds of years in the future, with Alice finally passing away (although not having visibly aged since she's a youkai) and finally reuniting with the spirit of her beloved Marisa.

Yup, this about sums it up.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Hm, I thought it was Marisa reincarnating. After all, Alice was the one waiting.
And rebirth as an "option" after death in Gensokyo is pretty much canon. And mentioned every now and then in some other doujins too.

last edited at Jan 21, 2014 1:48PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Hm, I thought it was Marisa reincarnating. After all, Alice was the one waiting.
And rebirth as an "option" after death in Gensokyo is pretty much canon. And mentioned every now and then in some other doujins too.

I kinda believe it was the rebirth/reincarnation thing cuz it is mentioned in other doujins.

Anyways, thanks.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Seems a bit unexpected she'd reincarnate as an adult with her original clothes too. But I suppose this is Touhou, maybe the outfit reincarnated.

Doesn't explain them walking into a glowing light, though. That seems more like entering heaven (or Touhou equivalent) together.

last edited at Jan 21, 2014 2:34PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Seems a bit unexpected she'd reincarnate as an adult with her original clothes too. But I suppose this is Touhou, maybe the outfit reincarnated.

Doesn't explain them walking into a glowing light, though. That seems more like entering heaven (or Touhou equivalent) together.

Most of the time walking off in a scene like that in manga just means something like "things shall go on, but the manga ends here". Contextually, maybe not?

joined Dec 18, 2013

The whole "immortality is bad for no real reason even though I'd be with my loved ones" thing pisses me off to a completely unreasonable extent. Honestly, someone should write a mokokene story where Keine just goes for it. I've seen it done with Sakuya, but not Marisa or Keine. Aside from that, Marisa should be able to become a youkai herself anyway.
"To experience many different things and with me always there at your side" is not something that is canceled out by immortality.

This nonsense is just pushed onto characters by authors that do so because their way of coming to terms with their mortality is to lie to themselves about immortality and portray it in a negative light.

Sungji
joined Mar 23, 2011

I.. have a knot in my throat. This last chapter is killing me! D'X

Sungji
joined Mar 23, 2011

yeah that's what I also think. This was a wonderful piece. I enjoyed it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Of course, wouldn't the obvious answer be for Marisa to do whatever forbidden rites made Patchouli stop being human? Or alternatively have Remi make her into a vampire too, although that would have its own problems.

Of course, wouldn't the obvious answer be for Marisa to do whatever forbidden rites made Patchouli stop being human? Or alternatively have Remi make her into a vampire too, although that would have its own problems.

She should be a lot older in this story, the fat that she is a magician should have taken her life span past human limits. She also could have became a youkai. And as for patchy, she is a full fledged witch (making marisa a witch in title, or half a witch, either or.) She would have to become a full witch.

%d0%a1%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%bc%d0%be%d0%ba
joined Nov 10, 2013

I don't get one thing.
"Alice was once human and became a youkai magician through training. She is young as a youkai, so she is considerate towards humans and still behaves as one of them would." (c) Touhou wikia
WTF why didn't Alice just teach Marisa how to become a youkai?
Though the idea of reincarnation is not bad too.

last edited at Jul 7, 2014 6:10PM

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

I don't think there has been any official "origin story" for Alice. There are several theories, one being what you quoted. I could be wrong though....I admittedly haven't looked into this in awhile.

joined Dec 18, 2013

It's written in PMiSS.

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I have never played touhou, but I always liked the fan art of these two so I decided to start reading doujins, and this one was really nice.

that ending though ;_; and I look at is as alice dying and going onto the "next world" to be with marisa.

and if alice really lived for hundreds of years after marisa died... that would be terrible, I don't know how she would put up with that. and from reading others comments it sounds like it wouldn't have been that hard to cheat death :P

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

What a great series, shame that Ichinose's MeiSaku one isn't as good.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This is how it's implied but the dialog makes no sense if it's taken that way since it would be Marisa waiting on Alice not the other way around.

Also the end of chapter 4.5 seems off. That seems a fairly serious conversation and the conclusion to it really doesn't even seem to be hinted at. Marisa seems actually mad at Alice and just storms off then the chapter ends and we jump from there to the end of Marisa's life.

And speaking of things that should have been dealt with directly (especially since it's never even hinted at) is the whole thing with Reimu and Marisa. When Marisa comes back to Alice's house after being thrown out, Alice never brings up the topic for discussion. Though in my opinion coming to Alice for that discussion was dumb of Marisa in the first place. She admits to being aware of Alice's feelings but she doesn't stop to think how what she's saying sounds.

Overall it was an interesting Touhou doujin but not my favorite and definitely has some issues. (That title would belong to Liar shortly followed by A Slip of the Tongue.) It had some nice art though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.