Forum › Age Gap/Underage in Fiction

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

Spending a lot of time on Dynasty Reader, I sort of forget that people are staunchly against certain things. We all just love gay shit, regardless of what it is. Even shitty characters get love from us because we see all of this as fiction/fantasy and consume as such rather than treating it as an irl thing.

I recently got into the Incredibles 2 fandom and it has a lot of controversial stuff going through the pairings: underage, incest, cheating, hero/villain, etc. One of the more prominent artists, Yamino, produces a series of comics set in an AU where Stratogale, a superhero from the first film, is dating Elastigirl. There's an entire group of people that troll the tag warning people away from Yamino's work because she used to do Elsanna art back in the day. Then, there's another section yelling at people for shipping Voyd and Violet (who are probably not that far apart in years anyway). When I tried defending people's ability to ship what they want, I got called a pedophile and lots of other horrible names.

Anyway, that thing I'm wondering here is how do we, as the Dynasty Reader community, view these subjects? We have our own incest, pseudo-incest, cheating, and age gap tags and people actively seek those tropes, and yet a lot of the world demonizes them. Is there a difference with these subjects between real life and fiction? Is the fantasy of it appealing while it in real life is unthinkable? Do the people here even separate the two? I'd like as many opinions as possible in the comments. Also, this is my first forum post so please let me know if I'm in the wrong category or if this is an inappropriate discussion to have on the website.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Is there a difference with these subjects between real life and fiction?

For non-psychotic people, yes.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Manga depicting age gap/underage relationships get quite a bit of flak here on DS as well. A somewhat recent example being Yuzumori-san, where the forum thread was largely people loudly shouting at each other concerning the subject for the first good few pages.

Whether it's age gap or other things depicting real life taboos, a large amount of people always try to look at things as black or white, with nothing in-between, justifying or damning characters and how they behave in a polarising way, rather than in greyscale (e.g. see Mousou Envy's forum thread).

When it comes to fiction, such discussions are quite unnecessary at best (after all, there are no real victims or consequences), however even real life has its share of grey zones, with things that many people would be hard-pressed to condone. For example, I know someone who has fond memories of consensually fooling around sexually with her sister, while on the other hand I also know someone who's a victim of systematic, incenstual rape, and suffers from PTSD as a result.

Knee-jerk reactions end to focus on examples like the latter, and completely dismiss the very existence of examples like the former when it comes to sensitive and/or taboo topics.

Av
joined May 25, 2015

From what I've seen, those problems do flare up here from time to time, but get smothered quickly by the community or through moderation. What people usually do is voice their issue with the subject at hand and leave it at that over a post or two, that is, when the conversation doesn't devolve into an argument. My guess here is that yuri is already a niche; since people are aware of what it's like to hold a minority opinion, they simply let others enjoy themselves without taunting or jeering.

For my personal opinion on the matter, as long as it's fiction, you are free to do whatever you want and I'll ignore whatever doesn't sit well with me, and if it's not fiction, so long as it doesn't harm others, opinions should matter little to not at all.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It's funny to see it here because people who are easily shocked seem to be the first to ignore tags... And then we get series with Age Gap, lolicon or incest and they come like "OH nooo >:(((( THIS IS WRONG!" I just Cant! I LITERALLY CANT it should be deleted!!!" and they continue for like 2 chapters and then disappear... And there's the really obnoxious one who stays for 10 or more chapters and keeps complaining saying how X character should be in jail and then attack X reader for enjoying it but those get banned... Then they make a new account complaining about Dynasty's censorship and then get banned again.

And that's pretty much how it is around here, most people just don't care so either they like it or not but I'm sure both groups know the difference between fiction and reality ... Anyway, we have tags for a reasons so I know you won't get personal attacks at least.

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

I wrote like two drafts of this comment before I just decided to follow what everyone else is saying. It's fiction. Who cares? If something bothers you, move on. You're not gonna forcibly change the minds of people who like it, so why bother? Also remember that most of the world demonizes gay relationships in general. What we do here is already under scrutiny from people who have no intention of changing their views any time soon, so who cares if we get a little bit depraved now and then. Even if we didn't, they would still lie and say we did.

I'd also like to say I'm sorry for your experience on that forum. It sucks trying to defend someone's right to do something, only to be told by people who don't understand anything about the legal system that you should join them in a cell. I don't think we're like that here. We're pretty tolerant of each other likes and dislikes, kinks and whatnot. Sure a spat breaks out in the comments of a work now and then, but it's pretty uncommon for it to be anything more that a few comments after the first chapter. Usually it takes a really specific set of circumstances for something larger to happen, and the admins usually step in to help steer things back on track. As a guy who came over here after drifting away from the mass of putrid ooze that is the furry community, I am super happy here. Everyone is so relaxed. It's great.

As a side note, I am a fan of age-gap, and am actually super happy that people here can take stories like that seriously when they ask to be, rather than just writing it off as depravity like many other parts of the internet.

last edited at Sep 12, 2018 10:11PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.