Forum › Is weird to watch older/classic movies with Yuri Goggles?

joined Feb 1, 2013

A while back, I watched a 1964 (fairly star-studded) film "The World of Henry Orient", which stars a duo of teenage girls as the main characters. Despite a cast including Peter Sellers (the "Pink Panther" films), Angela Lansbury ("Murder She Wrote"), and Tom Bosley ("Happy Days" & "David the Gnome"), the movie is mostly about the relationship between the two girls- Valerie and Marian- as they make sense of their adolescence in the 1960s.

And yet, until the very end of the film, there's no hint of any kind of het interest by either of the girls, until they just flat out start talking about boys right as the film ends and the credits suddenly start to roll. I was sitting there were my Mom as I watched it, and thinking "this film is about the close relationship between these two girls." I mean, the film is really good, so even if it isn't conducive to my 'Yuri Goggles', I still recommend it.

Honestly, for me, an even older (and arguably more famous example) of "Yuri Goggles" in classic American films is in the 1939 movie "Gone with the Wind". Within the massive 3 and a half (plus) hr historical epic, we're shown the relationship between Scarlet O'Hara and her sister-in-law/best friend Melanie Hamilton across the run of the film.

joined Aug 28, 2016

I mean, if people can talk about all the gay subtext in The Maltese Falcon, I don't see why lesbians would be out of bounds.

The Celluloid Closet is a good documentary to watch if you want an overview of LGBT content in old movies, both textual and subtextual. The story it tells isn't always a happy one, but it's certainly interesting and informative.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

I watch everything with yuri goggles! Unfortunately it makes it hurt that much more when they eventually hook up with a dude...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The problem with watching a lot of old movies with yuri goggles is how few of them pass the Bechdel-Wallace test. It's hard to imagine two women are getting kissy offscreen when they don't even talk to each other onscreen.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Those aren't yuri goggles; it's the loss of the het goggles enabling you to see the world as it is, or as it might be.

joined Feb 1, 2013

^I'm not sure when Istarted, but as I watched classic films on TCM, I began to look at the dynamic between various female characters in older movies, I thought "man these two girls have such great chemistry." Still, I'm glad I'm not the only the person thinking that way. After all, there's something wonderful about the idea of lesbian love between two girls/women in the golden and silver ages of American films.

To reply you must either login or sign up.