Thevoid
joined Nov 13, 2015

Pretty sure this needs a subtext tag...

Download202001sdsfsfdsfsdfdsfdsfs02154639
joined Apr 18, 2016

More Reimari!

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

This officially happened and you can't convince me otherwise.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

pg 15 (16?) the word "make" is missing the letter 'm'

pg 17(?) "give the leaves time release it" is missing "to", "time to release it"

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

The art is absolutely gorgeous, and the story was simple but very sweet. Loved it!!

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

My whole life of making tea is a lie.

joined Feb 23, 2013

I hope all this doesn't apply to tea bags.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I hope all this doesn't apply to tea bags.

Don't worry. If you use tea bags you probably shouldn't be expecting good tea to start with.

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

Most black tea you should be okay using water straight from the kettle, but the flavour of other teas will get a bit ruined by boiling water.
Coffee is also very temperature sensitive; it really needs to be right at about 93 degrees or it won't taste good.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I usually let the kettle stand for a minute before adding it to my tea, more so if I'm having green tea or something similarly delicate. Not too picky about the exact temperature though.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Late to this - in fact I only found it due to a fluke, as I pretty much never read Touhou stuff - but as a tea fanatic, it sure spoke to me.

Gyokuro, and all Japanese greens in fact, are very temperamental about temperature and brew time, it's true. Anything more than about 2 minutes of steeping and it will start to turn bitter. I usually do it for around 1 minute 40 seconds. Believe me, it will NOT be weak, but a rich, soupy broth with a smell so savory it honestly always makes me think of roasted chicken. The flavor however, is of course deeply vegetal, somewhat reminiscent of nori. Properly brewed Gyokuro is absolutely delicious.

As for temperature, it's not depicted here because of the setitng of course, but modern Japan has sophisticated electric water boilers on the market where you can set the temperature you want, do a self-cleaning cycle, and even have it turn itself on with a timer. I own one in fact, a gift from my mother. It's been in continuous operation for about five years now... Blacks can go to 212 of course, but I find 195 fine for most applications, and this is also the temperature to do whites and oolongs at. Greens are really the only type that needs to go lower. 175 is recommended but I actually think that's a little TOO lukewarm for me, so I tend to still do 195 and just do a second container pour-through, leaving it at around 180 or so I would assume.

When it comes to amount, I tend to do 6.5 grams for 2.5ish cups of water. It's a generous amount that will still fit into most large cups or glasses (I drink out of a wide bowl these days), and this ratio seems to produce a consistently good level of brew strength across all kinds of tea - for me at least. Note that green teas don't rebrew particularly well; the second one will be drinkable but much weaker, and third ones pass what I think of as the boundary between actual "tea" and "tea-flavored water". :P

Still, as said Gyokuro is not cheap, so you might end up doing it a third time anyway just to get your money's worth. Oolongs rebrew the best, especially the balled-up "gunpowder" varieties. Even a third brew will be quite good. White tea and black tea come after that, with still-pretty-good second brews but thirds quite weak.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts, Waffle.

last edited at Apr 25, 2018 4:21PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I've never noticed Japanese green tea being especially bitter after 2 minutes. I usually leave it 2 1/2, maybe a touch more, and it comes out fine.

That's for loose tea, though. Stuff in bags, two minutes is more than plenty no matter what type.

The mix of grams with temperatures in the 200 range freaked me out a little before I realized you weren't using metric for both.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Ah yeah, sorry about that. I have a gram-scale for weighing leaves, but everything else is imperial/Fahrenheit. :P

Wat
joined May 5, 2015

I don't know how to brew tea... :v

Matsune Hiku
Miku%2039
joined Jul 4, 2020

I clicked not because it was Reimari (even though that's partially the reason)
I clicked because one of the tags was food.

joined Aug 28, 2023

Damn making tea has more subleties than I thought

To reply you must either login or sign up.