Forum › Kemono Friends Director Tatsuki: No Longer Working on the Anime (UPDATE 4)

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/2017-09-25/kemono-friends-director-tatsuki-no-longer-working-on-the-anime/.121827

UPDATE:

Another bomb was dropped.
Kadokawa fired not only Tatsuki but everyone in Yaoyozoru including VAs
They tried to quell it by saying that Tatsuki's 12.1 was a direct violation of his contract and they should have full control of the franchise

They wishes everyone a gooday and hope the continue to support the franchise

This was a major fuck you not only to Tatsuki but to all artists working for Kadokawa.

UPDATE 2:

On the Matter of the Kemono Friends Scandal

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Dr7Vbu5xYLtulxIQN0BMf0VGwFwAcU8_SA9HdlfztU/edit

UPDATE 3:

Kadokawa CEO tweets update on the situation (twitter.com)

https://www.reddit.com/r/KemonoFriends/comments/73ygw2/kadokawa_ceo_tweets_update_on_the_situation/

https://archive.is/Sks8V
https://archive.is/KOpo0
https://archive.is/rq23O

UPDATE 4:

from /a/

Ok. Here's my own rough summary of the said article.
The source is Save Japari Park Discord.
https://discord.gg/uWRMfn
Thank the Japanese guy who actually paid for the thing.

If I am reading this correctly, this Nikkei Veritas article is saying that the entire concept of Anime production committee has been riddled with problems, and Kemono Friends has only exposed those problems.

The article first started with a basic summary of Tatsuki's tweet on the 25th, and then it went into how JRA and Nissin had to clarify in public that they got permission to work on their advertisement campaigns
and then it pointed out that taiwan, korea also reacted to this event, then the article mentioned about how nico Nico Douga's likely see even worse performance from membership decline as a consequence of this mess.

And it looks like that that the committee system, been first established by Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa movie of 1980, is a system where the director really had to give up any personal right to the integrity of the IP and that the real beneficiary is the IP holder (publishers such as Kadokawa or Bandai Visual)

There's also uneven distribution of salary where animators essentially starve.
The ending to this article sounds kind of bitter as the editor said that this crisis of Japari Park really is the crisis of the whole anime industry, and others outside of it should take heed.

last edited at Oct 9, 2017 5:37PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

so who the fuck even is going to do this

joined May 23, 2015

The president of Kadokawa apparently made some comments that people are taking as a possibility that he might come back.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Didn't their stocks tank?

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Might get changed

The upshot of this is I imagine that it's a result of wanting S2 to not look terrible

last edited at Sep 26, 2017 1:22AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

I know it's easier to just blame the big company, but if what they said is true, that they asked for Tatsuki stop doing whatever he wanted with the franchise and he refused, there was nothing they could do. Someone really expected they to say: "Okay then, just do whatever with the franchise we're paying for".
Don't forget two of those shorts were actually ads. Doing this behind the company who owns the rights for the series is not a smart or right thing to do.

That's of course if we believe what Kadokawa said, and we have no reason to doubt it as of now.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I know it's easier to just blame the big company, but if what they said is true, that they asked for Tatsuki stop doing whatever he wanted with the franchise and he refused, there was nothing they could do. Someone really expected they to say: "Okay then, just do whatever with the franchise we're paying for".
Don't forget two of those shorts were actually ads. Doing this behind the company who owns the rights for the series is not a smart or right thing to do.

That's of course if we believe what Kadokawa said, and we have no reason to doubt it as of now.

No thats a massive lie since Tatsuki did all that months ago, if they had a conversation with him about it it would've been back at the start of august and he would've been fired then, they are just trying to cover their tracts and claim they did nothing wrong.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Expecting a well deserved boycott for s2

joined May 23, 2015

Well, he also released a bunch of books of official materials as doujins at comiket. Which can get people in trouble if they do it without permission.

But really, a major part of the reason it even made such a big legacy was because of all the extra stuff he did on his own.

The internet backlash in Japan is on a level I have never before seen.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

No thats a massive lie since Tatsuki did all that months ago, if they had a conversation with him about it it would've been back at the start of august and he would've been fired then, they are just trying to cover their tracts and claim they did nothing wrong.

Why would they even lie? They know how popular the director is and they probably tried to keep him. How long you think negotations like these would take? His studio was credited to work on season 2. Not only they have to change the studio now, but the season will be delayed. This is clearly a situation that wasn't planned ahead. Also, nothing in Tatsuki's tweet contradict it.

Of course there might be things we don't know, but that know would be just speculations. More likely they're just protective their brand and the director didn't want to do as they asked.

What company you think would allow that? How do you think Square Enix would act if any of their employees made an ad for horse race using the brand without their authorization, for example?

Not saying Tatsuki is wrong. It was his choice and maybe he'll try to work as an independent studio now. RWBY is making some success in Japan, so there's market for that.

Well, he also released a bunch of books of official materials as doujins at comiket. Which can get people in trouble if they do it without permission.

Those are usually okay. I think it was Touhou that recently was banned from selling doujin videos, but books were okay.

last edited at Sep 27, 2017 10:19AM

joined May 23, 2015

I know animators that have specifically said that you can get in trouble for putting out doujins of official materials without permission.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Kadokawa was lying all along regarding the 3d studio Yaoyorozu and Kemono Friends.
Both Japan Racing Association and Nissin have claimed they had permission for the collaborations all along, as opposed of Kadokawa's statement.

JRA statement
http://umabi.jp/kemono-friends/
Nissin statement
http://www.donbei.jp/kemono-friends/

Also Yaoyorozu's website still down
http://yaoyorozu.info/

joined Jun 12, 2015

Kadokawa could have stopped him any time they wanted before. From what I read, they gave me full control of the IP in the first place because it was a failed project right ?

Here is what I think happened: After seeing how successful Kemono Friends, the suit just wanted full control of the IP back to transform it in a mega franchise and make ton of money, and the director wasn't suited for this need.So they came up with whatever bullshit they could to justify his termination.

Too bad for them the fan aren't idiot and now the franchise will probably fall into irrelevancy.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Why would they even lie?

Simple, saving face, to japanese megacorps this is more important than even profits, and as they showed during the news report on this they will go to great lengths to do this, as Kadokawa owns the news the conveniently censored their name out of the report.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Blax posted:

Kadokawa could have stopped him any time they wanted before. From what I read, they gave me full control of the IP in the first place because it was a failed project right ?

Here is what I think happened: After seeing how successful Kemono Friends, the suit just wanted full control of the IP back to transform it in a mega franchise and make ton of money, and the director wasn't suited for this need.So they came up with whatever bullshit they could to justify his termination.

Too bad for them the fan aren't idiot and now the franchise will probably fall into irrelevancy.

Yeah, all they need was an excuse to take over ... All the merchandise, animations PACHINKOS is all for them now, s2 might be the equivalent in anime of Metal Gear Survive

joined Jun 12, 2015

Why would they even lie?

Simple, saving face, to japanese megacorps this is more important than even profits, and as they showed during the news report on this they will go to great lengths to do this, as Kadokawa owns the news the conveniently censored their name out of the report.

That another level of shady holy shit.

joined May 24, 2014

Yeah, all they need was an excuse to take over ... All the merchandise, animations PACHINKOS is all for them now, s2 might be the equivalent in anime of Metal Gear Survive

Holy fucking shit, that really is a LOW term, I mean REALLY low. I don't think that isn't as low as the deepest depths of hell

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

An excuse to take over? What are you even talking about? They own the IP regardless of who they hire to work on the anime. There is no "taking over" by firing the studio. That's like saying they're firing the gardener in order to "take over" their front lawn - it's already theirs in the first place. Perhaps they have some unsavory or shady reason to fire the team and get a new one, but they always had complete control over the series so "taking over" is not a motive that makes sense.

joined May 23, 2015

I'm not sure the gardener analogy is apt.

Maybe if you didn't give a shit about your garden, and hired some random person and let them do whatever they want with it. And what they did ended up turning into a world-famous attraction. And now that it's famous, you suddenly decide to force that person to do things in a certain way, completely different from what they had been doing all along.

Sure, you've got the right to do so, but it's also understandable to call it a bit unreasonable.

last edited at Sep 27, 2017 3:54PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Pretty sure they didn't have any intention to give any explanation until thing blew up basically everywhere and they lost stock over it. So essentially this is just damage control right now

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I'm not sure the gardener analogy is apt.

Maybe if you didn't give a shit about your garden, and hired some random person and let them do whatever they want with it. And what they did ended up turning into a world-famous attraction. And now that it's famous, you suddenly decide to force that person to do things in a certain way, completely different from what they had been doing all along.

Sure, you've got the right to do so, but it's also understandable to call it a bit unreasonable.

In my analogy, I was mainly referring to motive, which is what the post I was responding to seemed to be talking about. The desire to "taking over" a property they already own is not a motive for firing the director. I wasn't really talking about how reasonable their action may or may not be. All I meant was that this was a bizarre motive to attribute to their action.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Kadokawa was lying all along regarding the 3d studio Yaoyorozu and Kemono Friends.
Both Japan Racing Association and Nissin have claimed they had permission for the collaborations all along, as opposed of Kadokawa's statement.

JRA statement
http://umabi.jp/kemono-friends/
Nissin statement
http://www.donbei.jp/kemono-friends/

Also Yaoyorozu's website still down
http://yaoyorozu.info/

Well, we don't even know how their deal went. Nissin Just said "Kemono Friends Project", that could mean Yaoyorozu only. But okay, let's consider they're lying. Fact is, they have no reason to fire him at all. There was some kind of deal that Tatsuki refused, so they fired him. That's how it works. Maybe it was a stupid idea and he saved his name by refusing. That doesn't matter. KemoFure belongs to Kadokawa. If they wanted to fire him because they hate his haircut, they have all the right to, as long as they pay him what's worth. Now people want what? Kadokawa's director to kill himself? The whole company to broke down? I'm sorry, that won't happen. KemoFure isn't even necessary for them to survive.

This thing blew out of proportion already. This kind of thing happens all the time.
Kekkai Sensen will switch director. Matsumoto made it special, now it'll be just another generic shounen. No one cares.
One Punch Man will switch studio. The quality won't be close to what Madhouse could do, and they're probably just cheaping it out. No one cares.
Yunico had a similar situation with FlipFlapers. Although she didn't seem that sad about it, it was her concept and she was fired against her will. No one cared.
But now suddenly the internet wants to bring a big company down.

Well, won't happen. I think Tatsuki will be fine if he learn to deal with big corporations. Otherwise he better stick with independent jobs.
As for Kadokawa? They'll be fine. Next week the new Index season might be announced and people will love them again.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

schuyguy posted:

An excuse to take over? What are you even talking about? They own the IP regardless of who they hire to work on the anime. There is no "taking over" by firing the studio. That's like saying they're firing the gardener in order to "take over" their front lawn - it's already theirs in the first place. Perhaps they have some unsavory or shady reason to fire the team and get a new one, but they always had complete control over the series so "taking over" is not a motive that makes sense.

Just like how Konami owns Metal Gear, and without Kojima they can make pachinkos and Metal Gear survive now... Disgusting.

Also to the post above, "No one cares" ... Please don't speak for everyone, I'm super worried about the adaptation of Onepunch man s2, the manga adaptation by Murata doesn't even have enough for 12 episodes of new content so unless they work with the original source everything can go really really bad! We're talking about the people who made the fillers for Railgun uggh.

Maybe what you mean was that even if we care, it doesn't matter because we have no control over these things but at least I have the choice to avoid something based on information like this, and those companies don't care about me as individual but they care about the rage from all the fans in Japan.

joined May 23, 2015

There are a number of theories flying around the internet in Japan that there were actually darker motives behind the situation.

I'm not sure how much I believe any of them, but even the companies involved in the collaboration campaigns are starting to distance themselves from things.

To reply you must either login or sign up.