Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Does anyone know how to check the budget of yuri VNs and how well they did in the West? And in Japan too, I suppose. I'm curious to see how well stuff like Nurse Love Addiction and Kindred Spirits did... 'cause, you know, if they do well, they might consider making more yuri VNs and putting in the effort to translate them. All I know about how well yuri VNs did is that A Little Lily Princess didn't do as well as Hanako expected; that said, Hanako has always put out a fairly steady stream of solid yuri VNs with a fair bit of interactivity and she is the leader of the freaking Hella Yuri group, so I don't doubt that they'll at least continue to make more yuri VNs. Razzart has already made two solid yuri VNs as well as two optional yuri VNs that aren't good from what I hear, so I think they're good too. I'm more concerned about Alienworks (the devs of Highway Blossoms) since this is their first outing and they're focusing on a het thing right now. I can't deny that Human Reignition Project looks pretty intriguing, but, still, YURI.

On a somewhat related note, sure wish there was a yuri game out there like Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator... I thought it was a joke at first, but I hear it's actually a pretty heartwarming game written by queer folks to boot. I mean, it's not like a straight person can't write gay stuff (I believe the writers of Highway Blossoms are straight dudes and that turned out to be amazing), but it adds that extra dash of authenticity, I feel. Also, it became super fucking popular. I don't doubt that's in part because of the Game Grumps, but, still, just imagine if, I don't know, Dream Mommy: A Mom Dating Simulator became number one on Steam. Heck, maybe that'll even be their next game... and I actually would enjoy that too, it's not like there are any VNs out there that let you play as a gay mom courting other gay moms. Actually, the more I think about this, the more I think that this would be the best game ever made. MAKE IT HAPPEN, GAME GRUMPS, MAKE IT HAPPEN. Though, either way, I'm glad Dream Daddy became so popular. We've already seen a surge of lesbian VNs in the past two years and there's probably been a corresponding surge of gay male VNs too. Hopefully, the success of DDADDS will impel others to make queer games. I guess the problem with that is that you're gonna have a bunch of people trying to cash in on DDADDS (wait, holy shit, I just realized) which will lead to a bunch of shitty queer games, but, frankly, we already have a few of those, and I'll take shitty queer games if it leads to more queer games in general.

last edited at Jul 27, 2017 5:33PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Alright so Sonic Mania leaks are going off the chart, fortunately i managed to avoid almost all of them, only got spoiled on a certain boss fight
But in response to that SEGA released the opening of the game early, which also contains two zone spoilers, and oh boy is it a good pick!!

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

So, I picked up Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel at my local thrift shop for 5 bucks. I'm kinda bummed out that it didn't include the DLC, but it's 5 bucks for God's sake. Anyhow, I'm liking it as it's my first Borderlands game, and, of course, I chose to play as Athena. 'Cause, you know, her and Janey end up going out/marrying. I usually like playing as tanks and healers, and it appears that Athena's a tank/healer hybrid (probably wrong there though), so, yeah, it's nice that the sole gay character fits my preferred playstyle (==maybe the others are queer too, but I dunno). I wonder if these games have healing guns or whatever like TF2's Crusader Crossbow, Ana's sniper rifle, and Killing Floor's medic guns, I'd definitely be down for that.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

There are a number of gay/bi character in the borderlands series :

-Sir Hammerlock is confirmed to be gay during one of his quests
-Mad Moxxie is confirmed bi in one of her quest relevant dialogs in Mr Torque's campaign of carnage where she mention having dated several women.
-Tiny tina is probably lesbian, as she always refer to the vault hunter as girls with flirty dialogs, flirts with mad Moxxie during Mr Torque's campaign and her invitation to Maya in the promo of dragon keep reveal that she has a crush on Maya. Could still be bi, but nothing implied she's into guys as well, so I tend to consider a lesbian.

I like how it's usually blended naturally in the game without making a big deal out of it. ^^

Also, no healing guns per se, but I remember that some sirens have a passive skill that allow to shoot at allies to heal them, much like Ana's rifle from overwatch.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Oh yeah, I was reading about queer characters in Borderlands for a bit, and I've heard tell of those peeps, but it appears that Athena's the only queer playable character (aside from Axton)... which is why I'm playing as her, heh. It does seem to be pretty seamlessly blended into the game, which is why I don't understand people's complaints about Anthony Burch "trying to further his agenda as opposed to actually write a decent story" or whatever. Perhaps I just haven't reached those points where it's more blatant, but I'm assuming at this point that it's just those anti-SJWs complaining yet again.

Also, it's a shame that there aren't any Sirens in The Pre-Sequel... it would have been fun to use some psychic abilities or whatever. For now, though, I'm satisfied with my shield and sword wielding gladiator but it would have been nice to have such a character for a future playthrough.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Nah, it's never "in your face", mostly it's mentioned in echo dialogs over the course of some quests and only in a very few cases is it clearly stated, most of the time, it's mostly passing references and hints.

As for a Siren in pre-sequel... Well, their rarity aside (only six can exist at the same time in the whole universe), most of the playable characters of pre-sequel are associates of Jack in borderlands 2 (with the obvious exception of Athena, but she's still a known character from one of the first game's dlc), so they couldn't get too creative there (though they kinda did with the dlc character, in my opinion...)

Also, devs have stated that Maya was asexual, which is another rare sexuality appearing in video games.

last edited at Aug 12, 2017 5:26PM

joined May 24, 2014
Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

So, I won Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 in a giveaway, and I just started playing it. Based on reviews, I know it's not really the best game ever made, but, I mean, I have it, so why not just give it a try? So far, it's just annoyed the hell out of me, but I decided not to quit until at least the first battle sequence (God knows when that'll show up). Breast-related insults in the first two minutes, check. A ridiculously annoying MC (I'm hoping she gets better later), check. Just a bunch of stupid and dumb dialogue, check... frankly, I'm only checking this out for the yuri, the Console War concept, and because I haven't really played any JRPGs before, but I recall people saying that there ain't much yuri, the great concept is squandered, and the battle system sucks... I'll just have to wait and see though. It seems like there's a Soul Eater reference already though, so that's cool... now that I think about it, I think that's Soul Calibur and not Soul Eater, but, eh, whatever.

Edit: You know, I think a pretty obvious mark of laziness is not telling me the keyboard controls and not bothering to change the PS3 ones... there's also the fact that I can only change the resolution and no other video settings; 'cause of that, my game is running at a very crisp 10 - 15 FPS woo. I yet again wish I had a better computer... I guess it doesn't really matter since this is a turn-based RPG anyway, but, still, it's just crappy when my games run like crap (which is fairly often cause my laptop sucks so much but still).

As for a Siren in pre-sequel... Well, their rarity aside (only six can exist at the same time in the whole universe), most of the playable characters of pre-sequel are associates of Jack in borderlands 2 (with the obvious exception of Athena, but she's still a known character from one of the first game's dlc), so they couldn't get too creative there (though they kinda did with the dlc character, in my opinion...)
Also, devs have stated that Maya was asexual, which is another rare sexuality appearing in video games.

Interesting, I didn't know about the Maya thing, that's pretty cool. With those limitations in mind, I suppose that I can understand why there are no Sirens in The Pre-Sequel, but I'd still like to play as one... perhaps I'll have to purchase Borderlands 2 at some point so I can try one out (as well as the other characters, of course).

last edited at Aug 17, 2017 9:41PM

Niccy%20xion%201
joined Jan 24, 2017

Now I play small flash games. I am working a lot and have no time for long games :( . When I have a break at work I play fruit ninja or candy crash on http://www.friv5online.com/ . A great way to kill time and relieves stress.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Hey! I don't see any comments praising sonic mania...here:
THE GAME IS FUUUUUUNNNNN. YAAAAAY WE GOT A GOOD SONIC GAME!!!!!!!! and hope Sonic forces is good too!

Also, mi pc kinda exploded yaaaaay... I guess it was about time I made the investment.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Oh baby!
I'm... I'm feeling it man! It's getting in my blood!

THE GAME IS FUUUUUUNNNNN. YAAAAAY WE GOT A GOOD SONIC GAME!!!!!!!!

Metallic Madness is best zone, i invite all of you to fight me!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Oh baby!
I'm... I'm feeling it man! It's getting in my blood!

Kreygasm

THE GAME IS FUUUUUUNNNNN. YAAAAAY WE GOT A GOOD SONIC GAME!!!!!!!!

Metallic Madness is best zone, i invite all of you to fight me!

Eeeehhhhh....wait nevermind, I'll get back to you when I finish the all blue spheres, it's going to take a while because I've always been terrible at those.

I also just encountered a soft lock on the titanic monarch act 2 boss, I'm like a weird magnet to these sort of shite.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I also just encountered a soft lock on the titanic monarch act 2 boss, I'm like a weird magnet to these sort of shite.

Got one myself in TT2 while transitioning between areas, had to shoot myself up in the magnet balls to a new area but said area started with a small vertical tunnel, didn't have enough speed while going up to reach the floor above so i was stuck in the pit, was Sonic only so i couldn't fly myself out of this mess
Other than that i've been had a pretty bug-free experience, probably been almost 20 playthroughs at this point

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Playing Samus Returns right now through methods that shall remain unspoken to the weak of heart, this game probably has the best 3D effect of the entire 3DS library! I usually play with the 3D slider at 50% 'cause the effect is a little too strong on the XL compared to regular sized 3DS looking at you Etrian Odyssey! Oh fuck yes Etrian Odyssey V soon! but i can use 100% just fine with Metroid and damn does it look pretty! I pitty all 2DS users out there

last edited at Sep 12, 2017 2:11PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Playing Samus Returns right now through methods that shall remain unspoken to the weak of heart, this game probably has the best 3D effect of the entire 3DS library! I usually play with the 3D slider at 50% 'cause the effect is a little too strong on the XL compared to regular sized 3DS looking at you Etrian Odyssey! Oh fuck yes Etrian Odyssey V soon! but i can use 100% just fine with Metroid and damn does it look pretty! I pitty all 2DS users out there

Jokes on you! My 3d slider doesn't work and always runs at 100%. Wait! did you say you're playing it?! Hmm.............welp...trying shady websites, bye.

But seriously, had to use activate parental control because 3d always on had my eyes in sharingan mode. Don't overuse the thing.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Pretty interesting Nintendo Direct, we got a little of Etrian Odyssey V and then announced Etrian Odyssey V demo soon followed up by MOTHERFUCKING ETRIAN ODYSSEY V DEMO!!, but to me the highlight was Etrian Odyssey V i guess, not that i care that much YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS

Tooru3
joined Sep 18, 2017

Anyone read any exciting yuri VNs lately? I'm currently reading Kinder Sprits on the Roof and it's cute and I'm almost finished with it. Any reccomendations for what I should try next?

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Can anyone here who reads Saki for reasons other than fishing for the nopan shots explain me why this pityful 3 han hand of mine got 11,600 freaking points?

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Anyone read any exciting yuri VNs lately? I'm currently reading Kinder Sprits on the Roof and it's cute and I'm almost finished with it. Any reccomendations for what I should try next?

My favorite Yuri VN in Steam are:

• A Little Lily Princess.

My absolute favorite!! The story is of course the same of the book. But gayer.
Beautiful art (the CGs are just breath-taking). Amazing music. And six routes to follow. (Four clearly romantic, Two more friendship/family).

• The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns

A little free wonderful game. A tale of Victorian Yuri. A sad but beautiful tale.

• Strawberry Vinegar

I was dubious about this one. But when I finally got to finish it. (Thanks Hanako for pushing me to do it). I found it a delicious and wonderful treat with a wonderful center of pure yuri.
For all the saying that it's light yuri, I found the romance really good and fulfilling. Plenty of blushing and handholding. And realizing their own feelings. And even an epilogue years in the future with kisses and the two protagonists together!! Ultra cute!!
And the food, plenty of delicious looking food. You gonna get hungry playing.

• Once in a windswept Night

Another great free gem from Ebi-Hime. I was dubious too. But it's delivers, and in a great way! I can't say too much without spoiling, but it's great and very cute. (And sad sometimes). Very very worth. And free!

• Starlight Vega

Nice game with three different routes. Melody, the childhood friend is my favorite. She's adorable and her love for Aria, the protagonist is so endearing... and evident. Sadly our protagonist is a little... dense.
Pretty fun to read. And the romance is cute. Particularly Melody's route. (Was pretty sad seeing her suffering in the other routes.)

• Love Ribbon

Nice and cute story about two girls meeting and living together as roommates. And falling in love.
And they're sisters. So, incest. But it's very well done, and it has plenty of cute moments.
Received a free update with an epiloge, some time later. Which is ultra cute!!

• Nurse Love Addiction

I thought that It was a game about cute nurse students doing cute things. But things are not that simple.
Wha... supernatural powers? That character is a yandere? What...!?
Worth playing. The bad endings, are pretty amusing.
I finished the Imuto route. Need to play again to get the others.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

So I finally started to play Kindred Spirit and while I enjoy it so far... why the hell they didn't tl it as Yuri Spirits? I kinda get what they were going for with tl'ing it as kindred, but that is the best pun/gag in entire game, not to mention the freaking title of the game, so the fact translation doesn't contain the yuri part of it is a huge misopportunity. And before anyone say, someone might not know what the word yuri means and translation should translated things like that, they explain what the yuri word mean in the beginning of the game and later even one of story lines is called "Yuri Cupid" so even if you wouldn't know what it means before playing a game, you definitely would after. Really such a shame people who can't speak jps won't experience that funny joke.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Can anyone here who reads Saki for reasons other than fishing for the nopan shots explain me why this pityful 3 han hand of mine got 11,600 freaking points?

Late reply, but in case you're still wondering, that's because it's 60 fu, which is a pretty high base value hand, so you don't need many han to score high with it. Plus, you were dealer on that round, so you got the bonus for that too.

As for why your hand is so high base value, well, aside from the 5/6/7 chi, you had at least one terminal or honor tile in every other set, which gives you plenty of fu.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Huh, Fu is something i always ignored since they're no longer a thing in 5 han and higher so i never thought they'd actually have that kind of influence
Being a dealer though? No idea why i never looked more into it, especially considering it's as simple as looking at a scoring list, to this day i was baffled that this hand was worth almost as much as a haneman, but in this case i'm comparing to the non-dealer haneman so... Yeah, that clarifies a lot
So this Baiman could've been even more powerful if i was the dealer? Damn now i feel cheated!

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, you always get a bonus for being a dealer, which is incentive to try and win when you are and make sure the dealer won't win (especially with a ron) when you're not.

Fu are often disregarded, especially by new players, because as you said, you don't have to bother with those when you manage to get 5+ han, plus can be a pain to count during the game (even more so with online games where you usually leave the counting to the computer. Playing live mahjong help making more sense out of it). If you can go with a 5+ han hand, no need to bother with those, as you said, but if you don't feel you can get more than 3 han, it can be worth trying to rack up the fu as much as you can to try and increase the overall value of your hand. But many players tend to get rid of terminals and honors to ensure having the han from not having any. Which tend to be easy to read and counter when you see a discard pool full of them. :p

This topic has been locked.